~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Don't hold on to the past; it won't help in moving forward. Dare to dream big.
    ~Rajeev Suri

Finally the weekend! Normally it wouldn't matter to me the day of the week. Since I've retired the days just blend one into the next. But this week my son landed in the hospital with pancreatitis so I had to stay at their apartment and fill in for him getting the kids taken care of, homework done, up early and out to the bus on time, etc. It was a shock to the system! LOL! I managed to check in here everyday and was so appreciative of all of you being there in spite of the upside down nature of things here. On the drive home yesterday afternoon (with the kids in tow for the weekend) I saw a field of soy beans being combined and thought of you, [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]. I thought of all of you when I was at the grocery grappling with the urge to buy wine as a means of escape from the stress. But you all advised against it, so I left the store with coffee and kitty chow which is what I was there for! LOL Thanks. Disaster averted.:happy2:

24 more please and thank you.
    Last edited by dill; October 13, 2018, 05:59 AM.
    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Way to go Mr V!!
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Huge congrats to you [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] for not listening to the AV while at the store! It only takes a minute to make a decision that could potentially change your life forever. That's how I try to deal with the urges when they hit, and how much I would lose by saying yes to that nasty voice in my head!

Thanks also for the great quotes dill, despite your crazy week! Hope that your son is doing better....Pancreatitis is no picnic, and potentially life threatening!

No back porch again this am, 40 degrees and raining, with frost advisories up for tonight. Can't change the weather, and I miss my porch, but I'm thankful to have a warm, cozy and dry home.:joyous:

Happy Saturday all and here's to another sober 24 hours. Thank you!

Comment

Just saw cowboy's post! Huge congrats Mr. V....500 days. Wow! :welldone:

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] for a week of really great quotes! And for getting out of the grocery store without wine! Maybe there is something to this virtual friends thing! Today's quote reminds me of the exercise my counsellor gave me to do about thinking of the past and this is what I came up with; it's okay to think about your past, just don't let it get in the way of your future...

I've still got enough quotes from [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] to use for this coming week, so thanks Rava!

Darn cold this morning, well below freezing, but the temps are supposed to steadily rise all week! Maybe be back in the combine this time next week!

6:25am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
            [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24264]Apatite[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Dill,hope your son is ok? Coffee and kitty chow is a strange combo but I'm glad it wasn't wine! Then you'd feel awful this morning bleh! Congrats to Mr.V on 500 days 5:57 am in Vegas another 24 please!
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Well, it's a big day today for the in-laws, move in day! A suite became available for them at one of the lodges earlier this month but it had to be repainted and some carpets replaced before they could move in. Bubba has been over there the past couple of days and nights helping to decide what things to take and to leave behind and to start packing. I'm headed over this morning with the truck and cargo trailer and Adam and Darcie volunteered to come over and help as well. Got to love those kids of mine!

It's going to be a tough day on the mother-in-law, a lifetime of possessions and not all of them can go with them. Because of his dementia, I don't think the father-in-law has fully grasped what is happening, he thinks it's a great adventure and is all excited about it. I don't think he understands that this is a permanent thing, that they'll be going back home when he grows tired of this place. I have to bring one of our tv's over for them as he thinks it's too much trouble to disconnect theirs and move it, just to do it all over again. Time will tell, but it's going to be an emotional day for all of us...

Comment

Cold morning here again.
                  Wow 500 days, who da thunk it! I had lost count, So thanks, Cowboy. And thanks to everyone else for all your support. Not just today, but every day here in the Cafe.
                  Been busy this week, off today, but spending time with Mrs, V., work again tomorrow.
                  Might get those photos downloaded Monday. I'm a little slow...lol
                  Tough day, Cowboy, sending support for all of you.
                  Hoping your son gets past the illness soon, Dill.
                  24 more for us all!
                  Last edited by Mr Vervill; October 13, 2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Congrats, Mr. V! Cowboy, thinking of all of today. Dill, hope your son feels better soon! And thank you for a week of great quotes. Pauly, I see you on FB! Guess I better remove that old account.

Happy af Saturday everyone!

Another 24 please and thank you.

Comment

Cowboy.....your in-laws are lucky to have you and Bubba as family. Thoughts are with you on this difficult day.

Comment

Warm thoughts of healing for your son [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], and an extra dose of patience and energy for the kiddos. I hope you're not feeding them coffee and kitty chow, though, because I fear the results. Great job on getting through the grocery store sans wine! I live amongst bottles of wine, a fridge full of beer and a well stocked liquor cabinet, but each of my relapses has started with a split second decision to order a beer at a restaurant. Great job!

[MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION], it sounds like a hard day, indeed. Luckily your father in law is cooperative- I hope he stays that way today and in going forward. Both of them are lucky to have you and Bubba to lean on during this transition, and I'm glad they get to stay together! My father has an early onset form of dementia and the TV thing makes perfect sense. Thoughts of internal and external strength to you today as well!

[MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO! 500 days! Yeah!

Did I mention that my pickleball experience kicked off a daily strength training program over lunch? I'm glad about it, but my body feels like it's been through a bar fight this morning. But the last few months that I was drinking, I felt physically and mentally weak and that drinking was holding me in chains. It feels good to break free.

I'm hoping to get the house whipped into shape this weekend and spend some time in the kitchen with my boys. I'd like another cuppa 24 AF, please! Thanks much!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Mr V, congrats on 500 days. Well done!

Cowboy you’re a great son in law to help the in-laws move into their new home. It’ll be a big adjustment for them both, likely tougher for Bubba’s Mom.
                          Nice that your kids are helping too. They’ve been raised well! It’s important for young people to learn by example the value of family.
                          I’ll be thinking about you today. It’s been a few years since we went through a similar move with our parents but the memory is fresh. My in laws loved to have company and once they’d moved into an assisted living facility were no longer able to cook. So they found a local restaurant where they could entertain in a private room. Worked well.

You’re right in saying the move might be easier on your father in law because of his dementia. I hope he adapts well for his sake and that of your mother in law.

Diseases like dementia and Parkinson’s are going to be much more common as us boomers age and sadly it looks like the health care system is playing catch up. I look at Mrs QW and some of the things that she used to enjoy being taken from her, like bike riding and golf. I see signs of dementia periodically and she has hallucinations from time to time. For example, at 2:30 this morning she heard the doorbell ring twice. I’m pretty sure I would have heard it. This hallucination has been happening for the past couple of years. Physically she isn’t able to do certain things but what’s hardest to see is how she sometimes struggles with things like eating. Not only cutting food can be near impossible at times, there’s difficulty chewing and swallowing too.
                          That’s why it is so important to enjoy every day. That’s why we travel as often as we can because right now it’s relatively easy. And that’s why it’s so important for me to be here, alcohol free.

QW
                          AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                          F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Another 24 please. Thinking of you today [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]. This new chapter is going to be hard. Good luck, your in-laws are lucky to have you.

Comment

Happy sober Sunday all!

Hope that the move went smoothly [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]! Your in-laws are lucky to have such a supportive family through these rough times.

[MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION]...I can't imagine what you are going through watching Mrs. QW struggle with Parkinson's. Sometimes I find myself complaining about minor inconveniences in my life. These feelings are soon followed by shame when I think about other people going through so much pain and heartbreak. Kudos to you my friend for adapting and accepting changes that need to be made in dealing with Mrs. QW 's Parkinson's. Staying sober, and being there for her, takes a lot of commitment and love.

Asking for another 24 please and thank you very much!

Comment

Thanks for sending me the quotes I'll be using this week [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]!

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." — Margaret Thatcher

Coldest morning we've had yet, -7C (19F)!

6:20am in Alberta, 24 for me and everyone else who needs them please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                                [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=24264]Apatite[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Working...
                                X