No announcement yet.

~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to think today's quote hit's close to home for all of us [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], but no matter we were told or even knew for ourselves what alcohol did to us, we just couldn't give it up! I'm sure grateful that it's a love lost for me now!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Another 24 please and thanks!

Comment

“Someone who is trying to be sober is often trying to work out deeper emotional issues and is attempting to undo years of habitual behavior. When you reduce recovery to just abstinence, it simplifies what is really a much more complex issue.”
        ― Sasha Bronner

GME! Very cold, snowy and windy here today.....looks like it will be a fun drive to work today!

I'm in for another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Good quote yet again, Jude! You have been doing an awesome job this week! I have often thought about the internal struggle we face when we try to quit and how it is impossible for others to know what we are going thru because on the outside we look just fine and in fact better and healthier than ever. The internal struggle is invisible but ever so real. Dealing with underlying emotional issues was never my particular struggle. I fall more in the undoing ' years of habitual behavior" camp. But the internal battle is real and at times pitched for each of us.

24 more please and thank you.
          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:55am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

Guess what? I get to shovel snow this morning!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
            [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I wonder how many of us drank just for the pleasure of the buzz, or just to get drunk? Does there have to be an underlying cause for us to be alcoholics? Most therapists will tell you that there is always an underlying cause, but, that's what they've been taught. There's always exceptions to every rule and maybe for some of us, we are that exception. Does that then make us alcoholics or just problem drinkers? And just what is the difference between an alcoholic and a problem drinker?

Your quote this morning [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] got me to thinking about a post I read on my other forum this morning. There's a gal over there that had given up her weekend binge drinking for I think it's almost 3 years, then started up again. She's been trying to quit again since October I think without much success. She has 3 months without a cigarette, eating healthier and lost some weight, exercising, but still drinks to excess on the weekend, every weekend. She just started going to a therapist to get some extra help, and her therapist told her not to worry about her binge drinking, why give up something that she enjoyed doing!

My first thought was to tell her to get a new therapist, but, is that what she should do.....your ideas/thoughts on this?

EDIT: I thought I'd add her post so that y'all could read into it in your own way...

Originally posted by WQD Member
              I’m so conflicted today I had my therapist tell me if I can keep it to the weekend there’s nothing wrong with that you don’t need to deprive yourself of things you enjoy. So totally confused. I’m doing good in other areas of my life, almost 3 months without smoking and better eating habits I just can’t seem to let go of the weekend drinking.
              Last edited by abcowboy; January 10, 2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

5:41 am in Vegas,another 24 please I'd like to hear what people have to say about it too Cowboy
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

I say the therapist's advice was shocking and unprofessional! It could be that the therapist drinks to excess every weekend and is trying to affirm his/her own drinking. Regardless of what the therapist thinks about al consumption, the client came to treatment with something that is what is a problem for her, or a behavior that she wants changed. It is obviously much healthier NOT to drink to excess every time you drink and it is a reasonable thing to want to get control over. I agree with you [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION], she should get a different therapist. That one is not going to help her make the positive changes she is seeking. IMO

The words "Physician, heal thyself" spring to mind.
                  Last edited by dill; January 10, 2019, 09:33 AM.
                  Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Well, that is an interesting response from the therapist. How do we know how honest this person is being with their therapist though? Maybe she's not really admitting to the true amount she's drinking on the weekends. It might be this person's way of coming back to the forum to say, see it's okay what I'm doing. In any case, science tells us binge drinking in any form is not healthy. Hopefully, she finds some peace with this.

Cowboy, a lot of my drinking was for the buzz. It could be crazy fun, until it wasn't. So I'll ask for another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

I'm in for another 24 af hours! Big hello to all of you in the café! Hope you're having a nice Thursday..xx

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Having navigated our health care system with Mrs QW, I wouldn’t hesitate to find another health care provider if I wasn’t satisfied with the care provided. For a therapist to say binge poisoning yourself is OK is NOT OK! Ginger raises a very good point though - how do we know the therapist was told the whole story?

A cool start to the day but warming up later. Yippeee!

QW
                        Last edited by Quit wining; January 10, 2019, 08:49 PM.
                        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Another 24 for me please. ABC, I feel I definitely drank for the pleasure and buzz. Happy, sad, etc. Drink to feel buzzed. Never needed a particular reason. As far as the girl from the other group, I would advise her to check out the alcohol experiment by Annie Grace. Its totally free and gives you lots of tips and daily videos to help you see how drinking affects you. There is no judgment and lots of useful information. It may be just the boost she needs. I know it was for me.
                          Last edited by Rava; January 11, 2019, 06:00 AM.

Comment

“Addiction is a repeated temporary...stilling. I am concerned with peace...not mere relief.
                            ― Edward Albee, A Delicate Balance

I can really relate to this quote. I find that when I'm not drinking, the turmoil within me is quieted, and that a calm, peaceful feeling is allowed to shine through.

I think that at first I drank to experience that warm, fuzzy feeling that all was well with the world, so I would have another to keep that feeling alive. Unfortunately, we all know where that goes. It's as though I was in a cave during a raging blizzard....totally unaware of what was going on around me.

I also think that the woman should try a different therapist, and as Rava suggested, try This Naked Mind alcohol experiment.

Humbly signing up for another 24 please and thank you!
                            Last edited by Jude58; January 11, 2019, 07:19 AM.

Comment

5:55am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

-17C (7F), but no snow to shovel this morning!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                              [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

I'm sure in for another 24af hours!!

Comment

Working...
                                X