~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

This was in my email this morning as part of Annie Grace’s 100 days of lasting change. I thought some might find this helpful. She is so spot on for me........

Despite years of loving alcohol I no longer drink. I am not a recovering alcoholic, nor do I have any religious (or otherwise) views which dictate abstinence. It’s simply that I found the courage to take a hard look at my relationship with alcohol and it became clear that alcohol was taking much more than it was giving.

So why exactly?

1. Alcohol is a sneaky devil
    I never made a decision to increase how much booze I was drinking. It just happened. Anything that ‘just happens’ without me being fully aware of why, how, and when is concerning. It means I have less control than I want. Drinking more over time snuck up on me. And when I decided to reverse the trend it was harder than I thought, which leads me to:

2. Alcohol never satisfies (a.k.a. tolerance)
    Here is the kicker. It’s only when you have decided to drink less that you realize how much of a grasp alcohol has on you, and how hard it can be to cut back. You think you can simply reverse the trend of drinking more over the years. It’s not that easy. Alcohol demands alcohol. It wants more and if you don’t satisfy the craving it begins to throw a fit. It’s no fun (and just not worth it) to live a life of counting drinks and feeling like you are missing out. Moderation is a moody b*tch who doesn’t deserve my time or effort.

3. Health: Being a non-drinker is the healthiest decision you can make (unless you smoke – if you smoke then quitting smoking is the healthiest)
    I told myself that drinking red wine every day had health benefits. When I did the research I was shocked. Not only is that untrue but alcohol was declared a known carcinogen in 1988. And of course there’s common sense: drinking something that makes you feel like sh*t the day after is probably bad for you.

4. Life is more fun without booze
    My drinking self would have thought this completely unbelievable but the truth is I have significantly more fun without booze. It’s amazing how many adults – the vast majority – believe that alcohol is key to having a good time. I blew this myth out of the water through some self-experimentation and realized the feelings I think I enjoy from alcohol are actually just a placebo effect. The reality is that alcohol didn’t make anything more fun, but since I believed it was key to my enjoyment of life – I was miserable without it.

5. I feel so much better – every single day
    I don’t worry about how much I am drinking – ever. That makes every night out (and every morning after) significantly more fun. I have more money…drinking is expensive. In fact, there has been a 79% increase in the price of booze at restaurants since 1982 – 79%! I have effortlessly lost weight (empty calories) and enjoy all my mornings. I have more energy, am more focused and get significantly more done without alcohol. I see now that I unknowingly made myself slightly ill every single day. Yuck!

6. Alcohol made me dumb
    I looked into what alcohol actually does to your brain and not surprisingly alcohol has the very specific effect of slowing down your brain function. Your brain synapses are depressed and your senses are unable to transmit information to your brain as quickly as normal. I tested this. I drank after I’d quit to see exactly how it made me feel. I even recorded the results. The truth is alcohol makes me dumb. My jokes get worse, my stories become scattered, and my nights become monotonous and unmemorable.

Being a non-drinker is 99% awesome, but one thing that pains me: the constant interrogation as to why I don’t partake. Sometimes I find it funny, I mean no one is demanding reasons why I don’t drink soda. Other times it’s downright rude: no I am not pregnant, allergic or on medication. It shows how saturated our society has become; booze is the only drug on earth that you have to justify not taking.

With Love,

Annie Grace
    Last edited by Rava; February 7, 2019, 07:55 AM.

Comment

6:05am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
      [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=24314]Moffit[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

[MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION], I've learned so much from Annie Grace through the Alcohol Experiment. Today is day 28 for me following AE. Thanks again for mentioning it. I highly recommend it to anyone needing additional support.

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

5:57 am in Vegas,another 24 please
          Last edited by paulywogg; February 7, 2019, 08:58 AM.
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks Rava!

another 24 for me please.
            Last edited by Moffit; February 7, 2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Well, this cold weather has started to get me busy! But I’m keeping up with the calls and getting everyone’s heat and water back on.

Yesterday’s quote reminded me to look at the good that is in everything, even my drinking! As I’ve said before, if I’d never become a drunk, I’d never have met all you fine folks who have become such great friends to me! Attitude and gratitude is everything!

I was going to ask how the movie was [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], Clint is one of the best! I still remember him as Rowdy Yates in “Rawhide”. Too many favourite actors to pick from, but Clint rates right close to the top!

Some good stuff from Annie there [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION], and I’m sure all of us can relate to that list.

This mornings quote is spot on [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], even if that light is as simple as a candle burning it gives us hope that there’s a bigger, brighter light at the end of the tunnel!

I’m quite a people watcher, whether it’s when I’m out shopping with Bubba or here at the Forum. I notice lots of members who log in but never post. So to all you people out there who just read around, there’s a lot of benefit to becoming an active member. Why not join us here in the Café and Club? Pretty laid back group of people, and some of the friendliest darn folks I’ve ever met! So come on in, pull up a chair and introduce yourself. Don’t think anyone here bites, and if they do, just let me know and I’ll git to pulling some teeth lol.

Last edited by abcowboy; February 7, 2019, 06:40 PM.
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Another 24 for me please and thanks!

Comment

6:10am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                  [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=24314]Moffit[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                  Last edited by abcowboy; February 8, 2019, 08:10 AM.

Comment

"The first thing in the human personality that dissolves in alcohol is dignity." Anonymous

Another insane morning here!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Such a true quote!

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Today's quote is spot on, Jude!

I like the exterior of the café, Cowboy. I've never actually seen it before. Is that a place near you?

24 please
                        Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

I'll have another 24 please.

Comment

If you consider Oklahoma City near to me [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], then yep it is lol. I picked it from the Net, couldn't believe how many Cattlemen's Cafés there really are! I chose that one because the front door is open, just like our door here is always open to everyone!

Comment

Great quote Jude and so accurate. Another 24 for me please. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow ABC. Hope it’s a good one! LOL

Comment

Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you're going to live your life.

I believe that being positive and grateful are two of the most useful tools in maintaining sobriety!

Hope that everyone in the cafe is doing well this morning. Like Rava, I'm looking forward to breakfast tomorrow as well Cowboy!

Comment

Working...
                                X