~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

60F with a thunderstorm moving through, temps dropping.
    Pauly means 800 pages on this thread, 800 pages of the cafe. Thanks, all.
    Lots of good thoughts here today, again, thanks.
    I grew up in Cleveland, too, Dill, lol. Shaker Heights.
    Another weekend of out of town work in Kentucky, might not hear from me for a few days.
    24 more please

Comment

Mr. V, I don't see that many pages but I do all this on my phone so I'm sure I'm missing some of the experience. Thanks!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Meant to mention yesterday that it was World Parkinson Day. There were lots of events held around the world. Because of a doctors appointment and Parkinson related things, we weren’t able to participate in any events but we cheered from the sidelines.

Mr V, I was recently asked where I grew up. I had to admit that I haven’t yet!

I am really enjoying my new hearing aid. It’s very tiny and Mrs QW can’t always tell when I’m wearing it. Sometimes I’ll ask her to repeat something, which she does in a louder voice, and then I explain she doesn’t need to shout, I’m not deaf you know! It’s a wonder I’ve lived this long!!

Have a great af Friday everyone.

QW
        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

AB Cowboy, thank you for the nice Cake! I was wondering if you would remember and you did YOU are the BEST :heartbeat:

9:06am in Alberta, 2C, snow on the ground.

Another 24 please.
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

One of the ladies I met thru my volunteer job was injured in a car accident in 2016 and her husband was killed. They have been in court for the last two years because the woman that was driving drunk contested the charges. The case was finally concluded yesterday and the DUI driver was found guilty and at age 65 was sentenced to 7 years in prison. Here's a quote from the article.

"Kathy’s devastated … by the sorrow suffered by the Deyo family … by her severe injury from this crash … by her post-accident cancer surgeries,” Defense Attorney Peter Certo said. “Unfortunately she can never explain what happened because she simply can’t remember the facts of that day.” "

There but for the grace of God....

Here's link to the full article. It's short and the judge's statement at the sentencing is worth reading, IMO.

BREAKING: Xenia woman sentenced to 7 years for drunk driving crash - Xenia Gazette
            Last edited by dill; April 12, 2019, 12:49 PM.
            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

He was at a business function, when a waitress handed him a bourbon and coke, instead of just plain coke. He said he looked at it, and just drank it. After 25 years! He said it was no problem at first, at least the first few weeks, then things spiraled out of control again, and two years later, his friend, who was with him this night, took him back to AA, and to the hospital for a medical detox. He said he could not stop shaking. And like many of us, he never lost a job, never had a DUI, car accident, and never ended up in jail, but was in prison just the same. I never knew. - Mr Vervill 12/28/17

I saved this post because I thought it was a powerful, cautionary tale. It's a good reminder for all of us. I want to enjoy my "golden years". I do not want to spend them (like the woman in my post yesterday) dealing with the consequences of drinking, be they major like harming someone in a DUI to minor like neglecting my family and myself because of devoting myself to drink.

Another 24 hours, please and thank you.
              Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Very powerful stuff dill and Mr. V! After 9 sober years, someone handed me a glass of wine, and I drank it. For a few weeks I was able to moderate, but soon my drinking became an obsession, and for 8 more years, I lived a nightmare. My Mom had died a couple of months previous to that first drink, which is probably why I took it, but now I realize that there's never a good reason to drink. Not for us anyway....

Hope everyone is well on this Saturday morning!

Another 24 blissful hours please and thank you!

Comment

6:05am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                  [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

50F and sunny here in Kentucky.
                    Powerful stories.
                    There but for the grace of God go I
                    Orf to work
                    24 more please

Comment

You're very much welcome [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION]! I always remember an opportunity to have cake lol

I concur [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION], some really good stories and quotes from [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] this week, thanks Dill! Y'all have no idea how much I needed them this past week.
                      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Thanks Mr V for explaining what I meant by 800 pages
                        Last edited by paulywogg; April 13, 2019, 08:12 AM.
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Wow! Powerful stories. As much as we are all different, we are the same when it comes to AL. Just takes one to send us down the rabbit hole. How long it takes us to climb back out of that hole is what makes us different. I sure dont miss a thing about drinking.

Off to see hubby's family today. His sister was my drinking buddy for years and I love her dearly. I'm feeling strong in my quit but I'll take AF vibes from anyone willing to send them my way!

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Stay strong Ginger! You got this!!

Safe travels Mr V, hope your weekend goes well.

Sunny and cool here this morning. Just about to hit the trail with my walking buddy.

Today’s big project is to defrost the freezer. Do I know how to have fun or what?

QW
                            AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                            F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Thanks for all the great quotes last week [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION].....very inspirational!

I was able to sit out on the back porch this morning for a few minutes. At 41° it was a little chilly, but I was privy to a whole lot of wonderful music! I heard birds chattering, turkeys gobbling, peepers peeping and a lone coyote saying goodbye to the night. I had missed that so much over the long hard winter, and it absolutely renewed my spirits. I'm so grateful to be going into Spring sober, to be able to appreciate all of the beauty that surrounds me, and to enjoy living a life without booze.

Happy Sunday to all... "Seize the day!"

Another 24 please and thank you!
                              Last edited by Jude58; April 14, 2019, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the great quotes last week [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION].....very inspirational!

I was able to sit out on the back porch this morning for a few minutes. At 41°F it was a little chilly, but I was privy to a whole lot of wonderful music! I heard birds chattering, turkeys gobbling, peepers peeping and a lone coyote saying goodbye to the night. I had missed that so much over the long hard winter, and it absolutely renewed my spirits. I'm so grateful to be going into Spring sober, to be able to appreciate all of the beauty that surrounds me, and to enjoy living a life without booze.

Happy Sunday to all... "Seize the day!"

Another 24 please and thank you!
                                Last edited by Jude58; April 14, 2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X