~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Great quote. I too love the theme, Jude. Such great reminders that we are important and need self care.

I'm reading a novel and this morning read this part below. The memories of drinking were so strong when I read this I got nauseated! I'm going to keep this excerpt and read it when I think a drink sounds like a good idea.

"THERE WAS NO CLEAR MOMENT of moving from sleep to consciousness. At first he was lying facedown in a dreamscape.....he was lying on his stomach, doused in sweat, his face pressed into the camp bed, his head a throbbing ball of pain and his open mouth dry and rank. The sun pouring in at the unblinded windows scoured his retinas even with his eyelids closed: raw red, with capillaries spread like fine black nets over tiny, taunting, popping lights."

I'll take another 24, please and thank you.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

A mild and sunny morning when we walked. Today our Parkinson support group resumes, hoping for a good turnout.

Sad note, our son who recently got married let me know that one of the young ladies in their wedding party, early 30’s I’m guessing, has been diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer. What a shame. A reminder to appreciate what we have, eh?

Have a great af Thursday everyone.

QW
      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Powerful, unique quote today, Jude -and so very true!

I had a physical today with a Pap smear; I sent in a Cologard test a couple weeks ago (negative!), and am scheduling a mammogram. I have been avoiding all of these sorts of things in the years that I struggled with alcoholism, and finally have enough self confidence back to do them. And I no longer have to dodge the question about “how much do you drink in a week?”!

Any word yet about how your condo fared in the hurricane, Rava?

I’m going to get a bike ride in today too, Mr. V!

It’s very hard to picture a young bridesmaid getting terminal cancer, QW! So very sad.

After my daughter’s recent wedding, the father of the groom (57 y/o) has had a recurrence of melanoma, and it’s in his liver & pancreas! Our daughter tried to sound confident & reassuring when she told us about this & the planned immunotherapy treatment, because her groom was listening in about his father; but we all know that there’s nothing good about metastatic melanoma, cancer in the pancreas, nor cancer in the liver.

That does look like pretty hilly terrain to drive a tractor over, Cowboy!

Going for 24 more hours on this quiet AF day.
        Last edited by Slo; September 5, 2019, 03:14 PM.
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning Cafe. Slo, the condo did fine, now Dorian is at our main home on the east coast. Once it moves north we are supposed to have a good weekend. I’m headed to work with boots and a rain jacket. This hurricane has been so long. Feel so bad for those in the Bahamas. I dont think they will be back to normal for years. Thanks for the great quotes Jude. Hope everyone has a good Friday! Another 24 for me please and thank you. PS loved the pics Cowboy. Beautiful countryside!

Comment

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassions, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
            – Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

That's a lot of land cowboy! I love it!

Thanks for the excerpt from the book [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION]. Brought back so many memories....uggh!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

5:55am in Alberta, another 24 for me please, and thanks...

8C (46F) with a clear, star-filled sky...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
              [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

The book excerpt that you quoted makes me feel very thankful that I never have to feel like that again, Ginger!

Cowboy, I guess that wouldn’t be a tractor that you drive while harvesting, but a big...combine?

Slow-moving Dorian is still messing with you, Rava! Glad your condo was spared. Seems the Carolinas were harder hit than Florida.

Today’s quote sounds a hopeful note, in that our struggles and suffering can serve to forge a more beautiful character.

Asking for 24 more hours of sobriety!
                Last edited by Slo; September 6, 2019, 07:04 AM.
                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

You're right [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], a combine. I'll try and take some "action" pics today of the equipment in action lol
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

58F and sunny, absolutely gorgeous.
                    Day off, headed out of town today with Mrs. V for an organized bike ride, metric century (62 some miles) with 3,000 feet of elevation climbing.
                    I'll get to see a few old friends, it's in a town in KY that I lived in for a few years when I was in high school.
                    Beautiful people here, thank you.
                    24 more please

Comment

How did Friday get here already? We'll be headed south before we know it!

Enjoy that bike ride, Mr V. Rava, so glad the storm missed you. Hope it skips right past your main home. My heart breaks for those affected. Such devastation.

Morning to everyone! I'll take another 24, please and thank you!
                      Last edited by Ginger999; September 6, 2019, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

A beautiful morning here when we walked. It feels strange to head out the door in darkness though.

Our Parkinson group had a good turn out yesterday and a presentation from a lady who runs a boxing program for people with Parkinson’s. The main benefits of boxing include upper body strength and balance. Not sure how I feel about Mrs QW acquiring boxing skills as ever since she shot a bulls eye at an archery range a few years ago, I sleep with one eye open!

Hope everyone has a great af Friday!

QW
                        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

It's a late check in here, but a grateful one.

24 more please and thank you.
                          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning Cafe. Today is supposed to be beautiful. Busy day with 3 grandkids spending the night and watching movies. I am grateful to be able to do this without obsessing about my next drink and then trying to look “undrunk”. UGH. What a horrible way to live. I am thankful for this new life. Hope everyone has a great day! Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

“Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”
                              – Carl Gustav Jung

Good morning cafe!

Homer (Stetson) and I are going to do some cattle sorting today at the barn where I board him. Could be interesting!

Humbly asking for another sober day please and thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Rava
                                I am grateful to be able to do this without obsessing about my next drink and then trying to look “undrunk”. UGH. What a horrible way to live.
                                I can surely relate to that! I pretended like that more times than I can count or remember and in many different situations. But the shame of the memories of drinking like that especially when I was with my grandchildren, of all things! What kind of a grandmother does that?! Not this one anymore, thankfully.

I'm waiting to hear if my grandkids want to come spend the night. Otherwise a quiet day is on the horizon. That will be ok too.

With gratitude, 24 more, please.

Your quotes this week have been really good, [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]. It has been a helpful theme for me this week. Be careful out there today, cowgirl!
                                Last edited by dill; September 7, 2019, 06:10 AM.
                                Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X