No announcement yet.

~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and one more thing... I haven't been following FB for the past little bit so I missed your birthday [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION]! The story of my life, a day late and a dollar short lol. Anyway, Happy Belated Birthday Pauly!

Last edited by abcowboy; September 8, 2019, 02:33 PM.
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Monday quote.... and one I need to remember!

Comment

Good morning Cafe. Love that post Ginger! It is so true. Off to the start of another work week! The countdown to retirement officially begins. Wishing everyone a sober and uneventful day. Another 24 for me please and thanks.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your marriage problems [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]! Have you ever tried counseling? Not sure if it would help, but maybe worth a try.

Loved the pic @Mr. Vervill..but 66 miles? I'd be in a coma!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

I too am so sorry to hear about your troubles Slo and wish I could lighten them. :hug: Perhaps you should try individual counselling if you can afford it. Start with finding support for yourself and then perhaps in the future your hb will agree to marriage counselling.

Thanks for another really good quote Ginger. It's a good reminder. I found myself feeling a bit sad a few days ago and I did make an extra effort to work on gratitude. It helped!

Great picture and story Mr. V! Thanks for sharing.

Cowboy you sound positively Zen-like! I think sobriety really suits you! :love:

24 more please and thank you.
            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:55am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

11C (52F), dark, damp, and cloudy....

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
              [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Another good reminder [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION], but sometimes hard to keep in mind when going through life's troubles...

This thing called alcoholism is sure mysterious. One would think that after a certain time you'd forget about drinking and not be bothered about not being able to drink. And when you do think about drinking, wondering if just the thoughts will lead to relapse. I've probably thought more this year on having a drink than I did in my first year of sobriety, and that scares me a bit. My thoughts aren't on being sorry that I can't drink, but thinking it would sure be nice to have a few and just escape for a day. Let all my troubles leave me alone for just one day. But that's the whole point of recovery isn't it? Knowing and accepting that I can't have just one, that I don't want just one. Maybe these thoughts are a reminder of why I quit drinking, and to be grateful for having been able to finally quit for good... I'm not sure I'd call it Zen-like [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] lol, but I'm definitely at peace with things in my life, and being sober suits me just fine. So I'll accept the drinking thoughts as a reminder that sobriety is the only life for me...

Comment

64F and sunny
                  Iknow what you mean about the thinking about drinking, Cowboy. The thought crosses my mind too, especially that first release, the first 1/2 hour, but then I have to think of what comes next, and the crap that comes with it. I know it's just not worth it.
                  Peace is so much better than turmoil.
                  Take care, Slo. Sorry to hear things are like that.
                  24 more for all of us

Comment

5:33 am in Vegas another 24 thanks for the cake Cowboy also thanks for what you wrote about wanting to escape sometimes,that was an honest and open post, Slo,I am sorry about your relationship,has it gotten worse lately? My daughter is in a similar situation but since there's small kids involved it makes it harder for her to break away,I feel sad because home should be the one place we feel peaceful and calm and loved,not stressed and tense Back from our trip to California and though so did have fun I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation! Exhausted.
                    Last edited by paulywogg; September 9, 2019, 07:38 AM.
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

I posted that before I read your quote, [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] or I'd have chosen another. I was in a relationship like yours for 16 years. My kid's dad. I've been out of that mess for close to 30 years. I saw and spoke briefly to him yesterday while he was here at my son's house. He hasn't changed a bit. Just as nasty as ever. I was grateful yesterday that I'd made the decision to save myself from that pain. That was the inspiration for that quote. I'd never suggest anyone be grateful for abuse of any kind for any reason. Not for the kids, not for religion, not for anything! I hope your situation improves because, dear lady, you deserve that!

I'll take another 24, please and thank you.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you. Day 196

Slo, Ginger, thanks for sharing with your Cafe friends about your experiences with spouses. To deal with stressful situations like that while kicking alcohol to the curb shows how strong you are! Continue being strong!! Everyone deserves to be happy.

We leave tomorrow morning for a week in Ontario. Mrs QW has planned a few events and made assumptions that haven’t been thought through and are dependent on some of her friends from when we lived there. It’s quite likely these events won’t happen the way she envisions. And others will be impacted including me. I think this is another side effect of the Parkinson’s and worth discussing with our neurologist when we see her. In the meantime, it looks like walking on egg shells time again.

Wishing everyone an af and low stress Monday!

QW
                        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Had to share!

Comment

The flooring looks beautiful, Ginger! I just love the new wood-like flooring that’s popular now.
                            And that breathtaking view peaking through!

Cowboy, I think when stress levels go up, then drinking thoughts go up, despite a long abstinence. You have uncertainties & frustrations going on there, so it’s understandable.
                            Actually, if I am not hungry (have taken care of HALT), then it’s more massive sugar cravings that I get. But alcohol & sugar cravings seem to be related.

Too bad the weather isn’t cooperating with harvest time, Cowboy, but at least it is definite, so you can pack up and move on to other work.

Traveling is exhausting, Pauly -I totally get needing a vacation from a vacation!

I am going for another 24 hours AF today. Going to the movies tonight to see “The Art of Racing in the Rain” with sis-in-law who moved back here (she likes dogs). I see popcorn & soda in my evening!
                            Last edited by Slo; September 9, 2019, 05:46 PM.
                            Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

I didn’t think that you posted that quote at me, Ginger...although it seemed to fit that way on first read! Haha.
                              Well, I’m grateful that you were courageous enough to free yourself from that situation too. Nearly 30 years of freedom from that! My husband isn’t nasty inside, but just has anger, anxiety, & control issues.

I can see where it would be difficult for your daughter to up & leave with two little children to raise, Pauly. You understand then that home should be a place where you can feel peaceful & calm, and not tense & stressed!
                              No, it hasn’t gotten worse. It’s actually gotten better than it used to be, but I just have a lower tolerance for it anymore.

Yes, I need to stay in “accept what is” mode, Cowboy. I went off into “have faith in what can be” mode again, and got blindsided yet again.
                              I am grateful for the blessings of marriage like financial security and health insurance.
                              But, I need to put up another set of boundaries. He got angry when, on a joint phone call, I asked his sister with dementia if we could help her with whatever she was doing that was frustrating her.
                              So, boundaries up & I will withdraw from trying to proactively help his sister. I will just do my weekly companion care and otherwise stay out of it and let the brothers handle their sister. That’s me; passive & withdrawn from many things -but there’s a reason for it.
                              Last edited by Slo; September 9, 2019, 06:33 PM.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi everyone. I hope that it has been a wonderful day. I am checking in for another 24 - thank you.

Ginger - love the floor. Your house is coming along so beautifully.

Cowboy - I know what you mean about the thoughts of alcohol. But, I'm with you - I'm happy where I am. I don't need to drink. Maybe those thoughts are to help us remember how bad it was and that we really don't want to open that can of worms again.

Slo - I am sorry that things are difficult at home. It makes things so stressful. Sending you some positive thoughts.

Have a wonderful evening everyone.
                                "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                                X