• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Tuesday quote...

Comment

What a positive quote this morning [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION]! I need to hang that one on the fridg!

Congrats on getting through a "low, fragile day" [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]. Those are the worst, and it takes a lot of strength to overcome them.

Another 24 please and thank you very much!

Comment

Good morning Cafe. Thanks for the support regarding retirement. I definitely will give it at least 6 months to see how it goes. Good advice ! Lots of things to work out. Thankfully drinking is off of the table. I have to keep my guard up as drinking could be a big part of retirement if I let it. Hope everyone has a great Tuesday. Another 24 for me please and thanks. Nice picture Jude and nice positive quote this morning Ginger.

Comment

5:45am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

Another -9C (16F) morning with strong winds. At least the snow has left us for a few days...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
          [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

You know, life isn't always just about getting and staying sober. For us, it's a big part of our daily life, but it doesn't have to be all consuming. I enjoy reading everyone's posts about getting through the day to day happenings without drinking your way through them. We always have to be vigilant not to let ourselves be lured into false sense of securities, but in all honesty, drinking thoughts hardly ever come to me. But when they do, they come something fierce!

And it was Ginger's quote this morning that reminded of that. There are so many positives to look forward to everyday, yet we seem to dwell on the negatives. I could mention each of you and what you've gone through over the past few days without going back to drinking, and that's a positive thing, so give yourselves a much deserved pat on the back! And when you get ready for bed on any ordinary day, ask yourself how many times you thought about drinking throughout that day, and I'll bet those times are getting fewer and fewer.

Being alcoholics brought us together, and being recovering alcoholics will keep us together. But we're all so much more than just a recovering alcoholic, and don't let anyone else try to convince you otherwise, especially yourself!
            Last edited by abcowboy; October 29, 2019, 07:19 AM.
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

It snowed here!! And not just a dusting -the trees and the deck are coated! It’s very beautiful, although rather abrupt & unexpected. So if you’re wondering where your snow went, Cowboy, it’s over here!

How was that 80 degree F pool time, Ginger?!

I see what you’re saying, Rava. You have always liked having the structure of going to work framing your day to help keep drinking thoughts at bay. But you have a very firm foundation of sobriety now, so I think you’re ready for this. Good to be aware though of how the change in lifestyle could affect you.

I don’t feel much guilt at all over becoming alcoholic, even though it was a mistake. I realize now that I had genetic, epigenetic, psychological, & cultural vulnerabilities to it, and so this is what happened. So I have re-adjusted and moved on. Everyone has their things that they are vulnerable to. I talk about it here to stay vigilant, but it really doesn’t define me.

My high-school-aged daughter made a friend in 8th grade of a girl who moved back to the area because of her dad’s alcoholism (I suspect maybe other drugs too? -not sure though) and her parent’s divorce. Her dad just died now from his addictions, a young man in his 40s. It makes me so grateful to have turned this around, so it isn’t my daughter having to post about a parent’s demise on SnapChat & Instagram!

Gratefully asking for another 24 hours.
              Last edited by Slo; October 29, 2019, 08:13 AM.
              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Strange to hear talk of retirement when I'm like 20-30 years away from that! I think I'll always work for as long as I can anyways just cuz I tend to get bored and want/need structure and something to head to everyday,6:01 am in Vegas another 24
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

54F and overcast, was supposed to have been sunny. Still warm enough for a bike ride.
                  No work for a week, yet. Wee!
                  But, lots to do around the house, never ending in a 100 year old structure. Maybe that downsizing is a good idea, lol!
                  24 more please!

Comment

[MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], such a sad story about that young man. I'm sorry for his families loss. Heartbreaking.

Great post, [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]. You are a wise man.

[MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], just wait until you get those next 20 years under your belt, you may feel differently about retirement. :~) When I first retired, I volunteered a lot. It helps with the transition and let's you try on different hats that you didn't have time for when working.

I'll take another 24, please and thank
                    Last edited by Ginger999; October 29, 2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slo View Post
                      I don’t feel much guilt at all over becoming alcoholic, even though it was a mistake. I realize now that I had genetic, epigenetic, psychological, & cultural vulnerabilities to it, and so this is what happened. So I have re-adjusted and moved on. Everyone has their things that they are vulnerable to. I talk about it here to stay vigilant, but it really doesn’t define me.
                      :applause:
                      Way to be mentally healthy, Slo! I don't suffer Guilt like I did at the beginning but sometimes it and its pal, Remorse, sneak in.

I hope you are feeling better, NS

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Pauly, that 20-30 years until retirement will go by quickly. Make them count!

Slo, I formally retired at age 57 but started a small business to assist small business owners transition into retirement through the sale of their business. It was very satisfying work but very slow and eventually I shut it down. I volunteered with a few organizations and still do today - Youth Justice and two Parkinson’s related organizations. I find volunteering very rewarding and there’s a huge need. I still have lots of free time to do other things and we travel a lot. I can honestly say that in 9 years of retirement I have seldom been bored! And that’s a good thing. As you’ve heard me say here a few times, retirement is the best job ever!
                        I’ve also seen far too many retirees spend their time drinking and I don’t want to be like them, ever.

An indoor walk is in order today thanks to cold wind chills and medical appointments. Thankfully our escape to Mexico is now less than 100 days away!!

Have a great af Tuesday everyone.

QW
                        Last edited by Quit wining; October 29, 2019, 09:53 AM.
                        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Lots of good reading here today. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and activities.

I don't feel guilty about having become an alcoholic either, Slo. I think it was just something that grew over time and it took me a while to realize it and turn it around.

24 more please.
                          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Wednesday quote...

Comment

I'm free of the sling and am able to drive again! :excitement: Over the past 6 weeks I've sure learned a lot about gratitude! There is so much that we take for granted....

24 more please and thank you very much!

Comment

Hurray for you, Jude! That's great news! I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to not be able to get in the car and drive myself wherever and whenever. It surely is a a freedom that we should all be grateful for. Where will you go on your maiden voyage?

I like today's quote Ginger, thank you. It's a good concept but I would make a slight change to the language/thinking. Instead of the passive stance of "what is this trying to teach me" I would shift it for myself to the more active "what can I learn from this". I think it is more empowering to take a more active stance. Same basic concept tho.

Going with a friend today to take her car into the dealership for some work. It's a fair distance to her dealership so I'll be sure to look for whatever colors are still remaining in the landscape. Can't believe we are closing out another month already!

24 more for all of us please and thank you.
                                Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X