~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

And I thought we had a lot of snow yesterday! It’s a veritable winter wonderland out there today! We usually don’t get snow in October! That will be different for the trick-or-treaters tonight.

Ginger, you got outta Dodge just in time to miss the frigid temperatures!

Dill, I understand completely. That’s the sort of thing that totally throws me off too. Next time maybe try stopping for a Dairy Queen Blizzard or a chocolate malt first. Good plan on having your HB come along next time.

I hope your meeting with the neurologist for your wife is helpful tomorrow, QW. My other sisters-in-law & I and SIL-with-dementia meet with SIL’s neurologist and social worker next week. It will be a little tricky to be tactful and yet still get questions answered and plans in place.

[MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION], are you getting close to being able to retire yet?

Well, the auction party last night was just fine for me to be AF at! I mingled right along with everyone just as if I was drinking too, and with the benefit of not having cravings for next drink. I wasn’t triggered or longing one bit for it! Maybe I was bolstered by the extra coffee that morning from going out for coffee, and maybe taking a GABA Calm supplement tablet beforehand helped.

This fragile flower has decided to cater the baby shower at my house on Saturday, so that helps. One less thing!

Grateful for sobriety, and asking for 24 hours more.
    Last edited by Slo; October 31, 2019, 08:06 AM.
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

6:03 am in Vegas another 24
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

[MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], great idea! The shower should be much more manageable with the caterers doing that piece.

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], sorry that happened and good for you for coming right back here. When I had my slip, I was too embarrassed to check in. It would have ended sooner if I had. You already have a plan for next time and that's half the battle. Hugs, dear lady.

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Dill, Mrs QW had a single friend of hers drop in the other afternoon. She too seems to lack for adult conversation and she talked for almost 90 minutes non-stop! I never thought about drinking but I could have!

Slo, one of the things I need to find is support for care partners. They exist in Calgary and I’ve found some help online but it would help to have a group here. I’m working on getting our Parkinson group here to break into people with PD and their care partners/care givers. I expect there is support for people who help those with dementia. I’ve commented a few times about feeling like I’m walking on eggshells and bet you know what that’s like too. Hope the visit with the neurologist and social worker goes well.

Hope everyone has a great af Thursday!

Dill, glad you’re right back with your friends in the Cafe!

QW
          AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
          F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Friday quote....

Comment

Another positive quote [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION]! Thank you!
              Sorry that you had a slip yesterday [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION]. It's frightening how easily it can happen. Back on the horse you go!:horse: [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION].....being a caregiver is extremely difficult and stressful. I hope that you can find some support in your area soon!

Wild weather for Halloween last night. Sever thunderstorms, pouring rain, and howling winds made it rough on the kiddies! Temps have dropped significantly overnight, and there's a high wind warning for today. At least no snow so far!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

29F and still dark this morning. Big temp drop here to start November. And to think it was 95F October 1.
                Taking it easy today. Mrs V is off work too, a little together time.
                24 more please

Comment

Grateful for my just completed 24! And thank you for another good quote, Ginger.

Jude you described the weather here to a T! It's a shame it came on Halloween. I'm glad my granddaughter and classmates got to celebrate with a classroom party yesterday at the least. She went as a wolf!

Wednesday's incident was from out of nowhere. It almost seemed like I was ambushed. My friend the talker also has a habit of speaking loudly which in itself jangles my nerves. But her neediness was disturbing somehow. It's been 8 years since her hb died and she doesn't really seem to be coping very well and yet she doesn't try to help herself. She thinks she is fine. She complains of loneliness but won't make and effort to get out in the world. I make suggestions but she finds a reason to veto each one. Have you ever played the "Why don't you...." "Yes, but...." game with someone. It's futile and I know it! But I wish I could relieve her sadness. somehow. I think that is part of what overwhelmed me yesterday. Her sadness is palpable and I am sensitive to it but cannot help her. I have been dealing with this for a long time now but yesterday somehow just got the better of me. I think she is getting worse perhaps. When someone has that effect on me I usually just limit my time with them. But this is a friend of 40 years! I cannot just walk away.

Enough of that. I guess it helped me to think thru it tho. Thanks for listening.

24 more for all of us please.
                  Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

6:00am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

Hovering around the freezing mark, a bit of snow overnight...what a year it's been weather-wise!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                    @Juse58 [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

It’s such a weird landscape to have this much snow covering everything, yet still have the bright fall leaves on the trees.

Loved the quote; a better twist on it than the over-quoted beginning of Dieter Bonhoeffer’s poem.

Thank you for the extended version of what you’re going through with your friend, Dill. It’s not just jangled nerves from being trapped in a small space with her for so long, but the helplessness & frustration of not being able to help her.

I sure hope you can get a Parkinson’s caregiver support group going as a branch off the Parkinson’s support group, QW. Yes, I do know about walking on eggshells with MIL, and now with her daughter; but, I am not a primary caregiver like you are. So, I end up just retreating, especially when I don’t have HB’s support -which is usually. He still has his head buried a little too far into the sand with regards to his sister’s condition. But at least the other SILs realistically understand where she is at now. So we can support each other now hopefully.
                      But I can see where you could really benefit from the support of the other caregivers, and they from you!

Ok, one more day to get everything ready before all the company descends for the baby shower tomorrow! Must have a productive AF day today!
                      Last edited by Slo; November 1, 2019, 08:21 AM.
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

5:57 am in Vegas another 24
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], Thank you for sharing the details. I think it really helps to sort through it here. I have a SIL in a similar situation as your friend. She just isn't making much progress with her loss. My heart breaks for her but being around her is exhausting. I can only spend short amounts of time with her.

Winter is coming! Batten down the hatches! I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

It was a restless night for us, I think we’re both anxious about the appointment with the neurologist this afternoon. We know the meds need tweaking, hopefully the dr. will have a good solution. We also know that Mrs QW’s Parkinson’s is progressing. It’s hard to watch.

It was cool but dry for the trick or treaters last evening. Our neighbours go overboard every year with decorations and devices to scare the kids and yesterday was no exception. They built a haunted house in their back yard and from the screams we heard, think it worked.

Hope everyone has a great af Friday!

QW
                            AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                            F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Saturday quote...

Comment

Good morning Cafe. Love this quote Ginger. So true and a good reminder to just let stuff go! Dill I’m so impressed how you got right back up on the horse . Sometimes we slip when we least expect it and the fact that you already have a plan if this happens again shows great insight! Hope everyone has a great Saturday. Another 24 for me please and thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X