• Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Tuesday quote: “Growth happens outside of our comfort zones.”

(-Annie Grace)
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning Cafe and hope everyone has a great Tuesday. This is my last week of work. It comes with some mixed feelings of both excitement and sadness mixed with being terrified about slipping back into my old ways. To say I am full of anxiety right now would be totally accurate. This upcoming end to a career is major for me. I just want it to be over like ripping the bandaid off. UGH. No drinking for me but damn those thoughts are strong. Another 24 for me please and thanks.
      Last edited by Rava; November 5, 2019, 05:58 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]...I can understand your anxiety about retirement. Hopefully, you can find other things to occupy your time other than drinking. I know that a lot of people volunteer which seems to help in many cases. Try to stay strong, and know that you can lean on us here at the cafe whenever you need to!
        [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION]...looks like it will be at least a couple more months before I'm back in the saddle again. Even though the sling is off, I'm very limited as to what I can do with my right arm, and was told not to lift more than 2 lbs. My saddle weighs a whole lot more than that!

Thanks for this morning's quote [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]!
        Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

I understand your anxiety too, [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]. Change is hard. For me retirement actually made it easier to not drink. The stress of work and trying then to get home without buying was way harder. You'll find ways to fill your time that are enjoyable and you'll do fine. [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]'s quote applies: "Growth happens outside our comfort zones". You'll be out of your comfort zone at first. It can be a time of growth for you.

[MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], I can relate to being knocked off center by a social event. It definitely can be draining! I'm glad you didn't let it knock you off course. And I totally appreciate you not serving wine at a baby shower! I too think it rude to drink when the guest of honor can't. I don't know when alcohol became a thing at baby showers!

I thought you might be at the game this Sunday, [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION].

I've never heard of Lime Cordial. I wonder if I can find it at Krogers.

24 more please and thank you.
          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:45am in Alberta, 24 more please, and thanks...

-5C (24F) with a couple of inches of snow to shovel...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
            [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

43F and raining, gloomy out
              Feeling that way, too.
              Guys are finally coming to rebuild the chimney I mentioned way back in, oh, July.
              A little stressed over what to expect there.
              24 more please

Comment

That's a fair amount of snow, ABC. I'd say "stay warm" but if you're shoveling, that won't be a problem!

Rava, just remember your type of employment is always there if you decide to go back a day or two a week. Try to look at the first two weeks as a vacation and not retirement. Maybe that will help you ease into this new world and make it feel less stressful.

Dill, I've seen lime cordial at Krogers. My favorite "go to" evening sipper is Humm kombucha with lime. So refreshing and it's certified NA. I don't need any triggers!

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

As much as I love lime cordial, I don't think I'll ever have it back in the fridge as I used to often have a splash of it in my rum and coke. Just looking at it sitting there would bring up too much temptation.

I'm thinking that Harvest 2019 has come to an end, it will have to get finished in the spring which will put seeding behind. I'm glad that I'm not in Corey's shoes right now, but maybe just realizing that harvest is over instead of waking up each day wondering if we'll be able to combine is the best. But the financial aspect would be a bit overwhelming as well...
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

We’re on page 1000 of this thread!

Rava, I bet it’s a painfully long week of goodbyes at work. It is hard to leave a long term career and lifestyle. Is it possible to sign up at a temp agency and substitute in sometimes as needed?
                    Thankfully I always worked off-shifts, so didn’t develop the habit of drinking after work too much. I just went to bed.

Drinking at baby showers is definitely a thing now. The one I’m invited to in December is taking place at a tavern. I think the trend of having coed baby showers and gender-reveal parties has fueled the custom of drinking at them.
                    I went old-school and served punch in my MIL’s old punch bowl! That was different for the young people! And plenty of sodas, waters, coffee, and de-caff too.

I wish we had Rose’s Lime Juice Cordial available here in the States like you do in Canada, but we get an inferior Rose’s Lime product made with high fructose corn syrup & artificial ingredients.

Asking for another 24 hours AF please!
                    Last edited by Slo; November 5, 2019, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I just noticed that we are on page 1000 of this thread! Let's celebrate by having an AF day together!
                      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

I noticed a neighbour shovelling his driveway, we got about 3” overnight, and saw for the first time in months that he’s wearing long pants and not shorts. I think I’ll wait until later to shovel as it’s supposed to continue all day.

While Mrs QW hasn’t used the bread maker on her own yet, she did watch the procedure this morning. Hopefully she’ll use it soon, whether it’s to bake a loaf or just make dough for something else.

Have a great af Tuesday everyone!

QW
                        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Wednesday quote:

“Leadership is the influence we have over others. Character is the way we lead ourselves.”

(-Admiral James Stavridis)

Comment

Interesting quote today, Slo. Leadership can be a quality possessed by people of good character as well as bad character. And we can lead ourselves with good character or with bad character. It comes down to choice. I think we have to choose to shape our characters to the good. It doesn't come naturally IMO.

I understand Mrs. QW being reluctant to try a new appliance. I hope she takes the leap. I was very timid about using the electric pressure cooker when it came out. The first time or two I insisted on a collaboration with Mr. D! LOL. It was his idea to buy one in the first place. But after a couple misguided attempts I got over the hump and now use it to make our favorite Indian Butter Chicken recipe! Yum!

Slo, I must admit that I do not know what you do for a living! I must've missed it when you shared that. You work odd hours so I'm thinking maybe you are in a health care role? I am retired now as you know, but when I was working, I was a speech therapist in the public schools. I loved my work for the most part until the bureaucrats gradually turned it into a paperwork nightmare. When I first started out I had adequate time for students interaction. By the time I retired I was lucky to make time for them because of all the rules, regulations, and paperwork!

24 more please and thank you.
                            Last edited by dill; November 6, 2019, 10:13 AM.
                            Dill

Comment

Good morning Cafe. Hope everyone has a great day. Another 24 for me please and thank you. Also thanks for the positive comments yesterday. I can do this!!!

Comment

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X