No announcement yet.

~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly enough that I choose the quote this morning before even checking in! Awareness works two ways for us, to be aware and accept that we do have a problem with alcohol, then to be aware that there will be times when the "pull" comes knocking. One would think that after time the "pull" would go away forever, but it seems that it will always be there one way or another. As [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] said, "always vigilant"!

I agree [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], I hate this addiction! Not just for what it has caused for me, but for all the others who have it as well. All addictions can be beaten if we remain strong in our quits!
    Last edited by abcowboy; November 15, 2019, 08:10 AM.
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

I have been feeling the pull towards sugar pretty badly lately, which, if I gave that up like Mrs. V. and didn’t eat it, would quickly morph into alcohol cravings. Like I crashed on nearly a whole bag of cookies yesterday at the witching hour, then was awakened at 4am this morning with “GSR brothers” type symptoms. It’s amazing how closely related they are. At least Mrs. V. understands what it is like now though! I had better pull it together though; with a pre-surgical physical and bloodwork like checking A1C levels coming up soon, I have to be more careful.

Daily happy hours in the RV parks would get pretty annoying to me, Ginger!

I need 24 hours ETOH-free and with minimal to moderate sugar & carb intake, please!
      Last edited by Slo; November 15, 2019, 08:22 AM.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

28F and sunny.
        QW, I was laughing out loud at the politician joke. Good on you with the mentoring.
        Mrs V is pre-diabetic and has to watch her blood sugar closely, even though she is thin, small, and works out nearly every day. Genetics. Damn sugar IS in everything Pauly, I was making soup the other day, pouring in chicken stock, and checked the ingredients, what the hell is sugar doing in chicken stock!!! Making my own from now on.
        Chimney is finished! Just need to paint the part that is stucco. Now to pay the big $$$.
        24 more please

Comment

5:58 am in Vegas another 24 Cowboy that's a very fitting quote! Absolutely spot on and perfect,Ginger I have a feeling it's the holidays approaching that's triggery to me too,I was talking with the Steppers yesterday and I mentioned that the stores are already playing Christmas music and I remember drinking while making cookies and listening to some of the songs and it was a nice,warm,fuzzy memory and we all know that drinking isn't warm and fuzzy for us,it's that dumb voice trying to convince us it is! I'd feel like you do too in the happy hour at the R.V park too,not uncomfortable just a little uneasy I guess,Jude,pain and boredom are a big trigger for me too,I'm happy we all came here and got it off our chests,what a relief! Thank you all:hug:
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Holidays can! be rough going, that's for sure.

Thank you Cowboy for the reminder email. I'll report in for QD this Sunday.

24 more please and thank you.
            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Another day of walking on eggshells here. One of the many side effects of Parkinson’s is that the person often speaks softly and combine that with me who has hearing issues, it’s not a good combination. Frustrating!

What is it with all the temptation going on to drink? I’ve had a bad case of the feck-it’s this week. The beast is lurking. Stay strong friends!!

Sugar in everything Mr V? You bet there is. That’s one of the reasons I bought a bread maker. The bread still has sugar in it but nowhere near what’s in commercially baked goods. Same with sodium. It’s ridiculous the amount of salt that goes into prepared foods and not only isn’t it necessary, its hidden in scientific sounding names, just like they do with sugar. Congrats to Mrs V for eliminating sugar from her diet!

Have a great af Friday everyone.

QW
              AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
              F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Great quote cowboy! I've always heard that admitting that you have a problem is half the battle won. Sometimes it's exhausting staying vigilant and ignoring the AV, but well worth it in the end!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Good morning Cafe. Yes the pull is strong in here. Of course I went past the pull and acted on it last Friday night as I told everyone already. But there was no build up of wouldn’t it be nice, I just did it. So I have to be extra aware as I seem to be impulsive which can be scary too. Cowboy, we are here for another week as a little vacation after retirement. We will then be back after Christmas for the first snowbird adventure. We really don’t have any friends here so there are no happy hours that we will be attending. Hope everyone has a great day. Another 24 for me please and thanks.

Comment

“Kid... if you need booze or drugs to enjoy your life to the fullest, then you're doing it wrong.” – Robin Williams

5:35am in Alberta, I'll have 24 more please, and thanks...

Just above the freezing mark here, with slick streets from the rain last night...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                    [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Loved the quote, Cowboy. And it's funny in a way, coming from someone who got heavily involved in booze and drugs. But at the same time it's that very experience which helped him see with clarity what beauty there is in sobriety! That's a gift for each of us here. We may appreciate the beauty in life perhaps more than our friends who have never suffered with an addiction/dependence.

Nothing planned for this weekend. I'm looking forward to the quiet.

24 more please and thank you.
                      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

That is another wonderful quote, Cowboy! I think a lot of successful sobriety is trying to find the fun, fulfillment, & connection in our lives so that we don’t need the sauce.

I hate head colds, Rava -I don’t roll well with them. At least you’re on vacation now and can just rest. So thankful that you’re not in Ginger’s situation with the daily happy hours around you! Nice to practice being a snowbird as you transition your lifestyle, before the real thing after Christmas.

I turned into a total sugar monster again yesterday, this time over caramel corn. Well my vit. A detox has been harsh lately, so I’ve been chronically fatigued. These things happen when we’re out of balance and trying to find some energy. At least it’s not booze.

Yeah, pairing hard-of-hearing with a soft voice is an unfortunate situation, QW. I like how you get away from the situation to volunteer and be a mentor to others in need. It is wonderful that you share your many skills & talents that way.

We had the meeting with SIL’s neurologist and social worker. She has gotten worse according to the tests. We found out that there are a number of good support groups and enrichment activities for people with early onset dementia in the area, so hope to get her plugged into some.

I’m traveling today for daughter’s baby shower put on by her husband’s family. Wishing & asking for a sober but fun day: I hope I can feel balanced & sociable instead of anxious, and hopefully don’t dive headlong into the cake in a sugar fit. 24 more please!
                        Last edited by Slo; November 16, 2019, 08:40 AM.
                        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Thanks for the quote, ABC. Glad everyone that's struggling with drinking thoughts are bringing them here instead of acting on them!

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

30F and sunny
                            Going to try and get a bike ride in. But have to help young Mr V move into a new apartment, we'll see.
                            24 more please

Comment

6:02 am in Vegas another 24 thank you Jude and Ginger for admitting that you were having that "pull" too! I felt like I wasn't the only one feeling a little crazy and it was soooo helpful to me to power through and have a fabulous day yesterday! It just gave me a push to know that people understand and I'm not alone rather than the generic response of "hang in there" we make a great team QW,so sorry it was an eggshell day,I hope today is better for you and your wife,off to get ready for work have a happy AF day all
                              Last edited by paulywogg; November 16, 2019, 09:07 AM.
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

I’ve heard over the past few years that it’s disrespectful for Xmas ads to run prior to Remembrance/Veterans Day. And in my opinion it is. I watched the ceremony from the National War Memorial in Ottawa on TV and as soon as the coverage ended, the Xmas ads started. I was in a store the other day and Xmas music was playing! I noticed too that ads for alcohol have increased too. What better way to celebrate the season than to drink!

Mrs QW’s soft speaking is only one of the many side effects of Parkinson’s. Yesterday she was feeling pretty good and she decided to bake a cake. Part way through she asked if I could mix the ingredients for her as she didn’t have the arm strength to do it. The other night she again ate her supper using her left hand because her right arm lacked the strength to manage the fork. And these are fairly minor side effects compared to what some Parkinson’s sufferers experience.

On a happier note, our oldest son is celebrating a birthday and 12th wedding anniversary today. So nice to see the man he has become!

Have a great af Saturday everyone!

QW
                                AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                                F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Working...
                                X