~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Excellent, Rava! Your plan worked! I made it through too. It’s kind of hard when all are drinking around me and making lots of comments & jokes about the importance of it: but not nearly as hard as going out of control and thinking about nothing except how to get my fill, how to get my next drink, & the next & the next; craving so much, yet never feeling like it’s enough. I’ve had some real out-of-control episodes at that house (bro #1’s) when trying to procure extra drinks, so no thanks to any more of that! I’m back in the driver’s seat, and no longer being controlled by a substance.
    I noticed that my twin sister just filled her large red Solo cup up to the brim with red wine. Hey, why even bother to pretend to sip 4oz in a pretty wine glass I guess? We’re long past that.

Finishing up another 24!
    Last edited by Slo; November 28, 2019, 11:22 PM.
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

This is appropriate for today. For most of us yesterday that celebrate Thanksgiving, we stood alone in our desire to not drink. My family drinks like its a sport. So going against the grain is ok to do. Like Slo said no more out of control episodes. When that glass of wine becomes a bottomless glass of wine it turns into a shit fest real fast. This morning as I’m typing this, I am drinking coffee and going to the gym in a little bit. So happy to feel good this morning. Hope everyone has a great day. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

5:30am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

-14C (7F) this morning with snow to shovel before I head to Adam's...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
        [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

So good to hear that everyone made it through yesterdays festivities without quitting on their quits! We do feel like an outsider when we first give up the booze, but eventually standing alone shows our true strength and courage!

So sorry to hear about Molly [MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION], I dread the day that Hank leaves us...
          Last edited by abcowboy; November 29, 2019, 07:34 AM.
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

I had yet another reminder yesterday of how Mrs QW is impacted by Parkinson’s. Her arms were too weak to ladle soup into bowls and she ate left handed because her right arm couldn’t lift the spoon. I took over and cleaned up the kitchen after. Not a big deal on my part but man, it’s hard to see her like this.

Last night I had a drinking dream, a glass of my favourite merlot was on the table in front of me. I picked it up, looked at it and passed it to Mrs QW and she drank it. Weird for a few reasons but mostly because Mrs QW never drank red wine.

Hope those who choose to brave the Black Friday throngs survive and get some deals!

QW
            AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
            F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

I cracked up about Hank's toy box as well Cowboy! We do love our pets don't we!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

6:18 am in Vegas another 24 QW any of those 'beer' recipes I get I usually just use club soda or Sprite it turns out exactly the same and you don't hafta put up with any stench from opening the can, great job everyone for getting thru yesterday! Slo,sorry to hear your sister is back to drinking but we can only worry about ourselves I guess,have a great day all!
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Nora, my sincere condolences on losing Molly. Our pets are our family. Thinking of you all.

Had a yummy dinner with friends with no AL. At the moment we are experiencing a monsoon. Wow, it can rain around here!

Great follow through on you plan, Rava. Had to chuckle about drinking being a sport in your family. Funny/Not Funny. Hubbies family makes the holidays a sport as well.

Pauly, hope your tummy is better today. You didn't eat any of that bad romaine, did you? :-/

Glad we all made it through the day! I'll take another 24, please. ☺
                  Last edited by Ginger999; November 29, 2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Put me on the list of survivors too! It's pretty easy when there's nothing in the house and no one else is drinking tho. We did open a bottle of sparkling cider to make some toasts, but I poured it out. It didn't really taste good to me, but thinking back, neither did chardonnay. I wasn't really drinking it for the taste....

Good quote, Rava. You stood alone and you stood proud! You too, Slo! You both did great in some tough circumstances!

Great suggestion on the substitution for the beer bread recipe, Pauley.

Anyway, yesterday was good but we all ate too much!

24 more please and thank you.
                    Last edited by dill; November 29, 2019, 11:44 AM.
                    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Thanks for the quote, Rava: it makes me feel proud to have been the sole AF adult yesterday! Those young adult sons of bro #1 just cling to their glasses & bottles & cans. The three of them started “partying” together (according to their mother) before we arrived -which was before noon! Then when I see them playing catch with their football in the backyard, they all have their drink in one hand while catching the football with the other! In the photo with their mother then they’re all clutching their bottles tightly & close to the chest, and by evening they’re blotting wine spills out of the carpet. What have we as a culture taught our young people!?! Apparently that booze is like oxygen, and you have to keep it with you at all times!

Thanks, Pauly. I do need to totally give up hope and just focus on my own sobriety. I got a bit of happy hope going recently, then suffered the inevitable let down. Need to quit that hoping & caring! We all make our own choices in life. Not everyone is willing to live a life that goes against the cultural grain.

Happy hunting, Cowboy!

Asking for another day with no alcohol in the picture.
                      Last edited by Slo; November 29, 2019, 09:12 PM.
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Slo,seems like every neighbor on my block was drinking before noon yesterday and no I'm not judging cuz I know for darn sure I'd have been too back in the old days Ginger,no not romaine not sure what that was,very weird and yes lots of rain! Dill I never drank for the taste either,in a way I think that's a blessing cuz I don't miss that flavor like I would if I had to give up chocolate or one of my other fave foods cuz I think that'd make things even harder
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another sober day please and thank you!

Comment

Good morning Cafe. Last quote of the week from me. I am thankful for my struggles as I am a totally different person when I am off the booze train. I am not only physically healthier but mentally happier and more stable. When I drink in my out of control way, I lose all my sanity and turn into exactly what I hate. So thankful that I am sober and working on staying that way. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

Thank you for a solid week of good quotes, Rava. And what you said about liking the results of not drinking. I think it is the most amazing thing about quitting. I used to think the drinking was making me happy. But only after enough time and distance did I begin to understand that the quality of my happiness was so much improved without the wine! All those years I did not know that the wine was a depressant. It caused the depression and anxiety that I then tried to "cure" at the end of each day, thinking the wine was the answer!

Slo, that description of your nephews was exactly what I see when I go to family get togethers. And it has been so since I was one of the young ones, clinging to the bottle or can. I'm sorry your sister can't break free. The fact that she tried for a while shows that she is at least wanting too, so don't give up hope, and I know you can't give up caring. Not in your DNA!

Pauly, I don't think I could possibly give up chocolate! LOL When we were speaking of ice cream flavors the other day I realized that I couldn't really limit my favorite to one. But if I absolutely HAD to, my favorite is chocolate! Moose tracks.....mmmmm

QW, so sorry to hear of your wife's strength problems. I was wondering if they are transient. Does here strength vary from day to day? I hope one day a cure can be found for Parkinsons. And the sooner the better.

24 more please and thank you.
                              Last edited by dill; November 30, 2019, 07:26 AM.
                              Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:30am in Alberta, I'll have 24 more please, and thanks...

-11C (13F) with light snow falling...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                                [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Working...
                                X