Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

More medical appointments today before we head south.

Our Parkinson support group meets today and the guest speaker is a chiropractor who will speak about fall prevention, something important to people with Parkinson’s. Mrs QW and I arranged for today’s speaker and our pharmacist will attend a future meeting to discuss medications and drug side effects.

Cowboy, please keep the snow up north at least until we leave!

Have a great af Thursday everyone!

QW
    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Originally posted by Slo View Post
      Yesterday out for dinner at a Mexican restaurant, the waitress who spoke broken English didn’t understand what an alcohol-free beer was, so called a lot of attention to what I was ordering. Then sis-in-law with dementia orders a margarita, pointing out to the waitress & the others that she CAN have alcohol. It was a bit awkward, but I didn’t let it bother me. I might not have an off-switch for alcohol anymore, but there are other things that I do still have; like the ability to think clearly, remember things, and manage my own affairs. And I’ll take those over the ability to drink any day!
      That does sound awkward, Slo! But you are so right! Not being able to drink is a small thing when compared to other problems we could have. Grateful for that!

Cowboy, our well depth is about average for around here and I think most water around here is hard and people have to have water softeners to help preserve appliances. There is a lot of variability tho. In a town just 6 miles away they have a lot of iron. We tied the new well into the old line. I am relieved that the new well has really good tasting water, just like our old well did. I'm grateful for that.

Ginger you are coming up with some really great quotes this week. I have saved several of them in a folder for future reference. Thank you!

24 more please and thank you.
      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Friday quote....

Comment

Did the snowfall keep Bubba & Hank with you for an extra day, Cowboy?

Very important topics that are being covered at the Parkinson’s meetings, QW! Should be of benefit for all attending.

Yes, I have realized that I’ll take alcoholism over the likes of Alzheimer’s or cancer. Remembering that there are worse things helps me keep it in perspective. And allows me to peacefully let sis-in-law gloat about her ability to drink, since actually her afflictions are much worse.

I had some bloodwork come back showing that I’m high in iron, so I donated blood today. Wish I could give it to you for your low iron, Pauly! The bloodletting allowed me to get rid of some excess vitamin A and copper too.

I’m advised to not drink alcohol for a day after giving blood, so --Okay!
          Last edited by Slo; February 7, 2020, 06:19 AM.
          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

That was a really thought provoking quote, Ginger. I know it was meant to be inspirational, and it was. But it also made me think of the poor souls that think they deserve the worst for whatever reason. They also attract what they believe they deserve and are toxic to those around them that get caught up in their void. Ugh. Sorry for the negativity but once again I find myself thinking of my poor ex DIL still wandering lost in addiction. She's tried rehab and has failed so many times. I think at her core she doesn't believe she deserves anything good. We have to envision good and positive things when we think of what we deserve.

Slo, I think that's great that you were high in iron and able to donate. I like to donate blook but often when I go they tell me I am just a tick low and I get turned away. I will try again soon tho. It's important, and I have one of the more rare blood types, B- so I feel I really should make the effort.

24 more clear thinking hours, please and thank you.
            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning. Another great quote Ginger! Hope everyone has a great day! Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

Dill...I too, have been turned away the last 3 times that I've tried to donate blood. I've been taking in extra iron supplements in the hopes that I can donate in the future, as I know that there is a critical shortage of blood in my area.

It's sleeting to beat the band right now, which is supposed to change over to heavy, wind driven snow later on. They're calling for up to a foot of snow on top of roads that are already covered with ice. Wish that I had the day off! [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION].....can you and Mrs. QW smuggle me into Mexico?????

Hope that everyone has a great Friday!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

FYI.....just saw this and thought that I'd share in case anyone missed it.

Forum Users,

Please note that the Forum will be closed from 04.00 ET (US) 09.00 (GMT) on Saturday 8th February for essential upgrade work.

This is heavy back end upgrade which I hope will be complete within 12 hours however the Forum may be shut until Sunday afternoon depending on any issues we may encounter.

You may dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Thanks.

Comment

5:45am in Alberta, another 24 for me please, and thanks...

-3C (27F) this morning with snow to shovel. Thankfully we don't get the "Lake Effect" snow like you guys [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                    [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

No, the weather was okay for Bubba to travel back to Vegreville [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], but that's okay, I'll be headed over there Saturday for a couple of nights as I have to go into Edmonton Monday to pick up material.

Hopefully the site upgrade will go as planned this weekend, but as [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] mentioned, my back up forum is available for us to use. Home | We Quit Drinking

I donated blood for years, even got called in to the hospital a few times to give more because of the special antigen that I have. When I received my 50 pint pin and plaque they told me I had given enough, no need to donate anymore lol.

I like today's quote [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION], well, I liked all your quotes this week! But this morning's reminded me of the trust and respect I've been slowly gaining back by remaining AF!
                      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

5:45 am in Vegas I won't be drinking today Slo, I read that the symptoms of iron overload are almost the same as low iron fatigue, heart palps, etc I'm glad they found it! Both my parents have had problems with having too much iron wonder why I have the opposite? I thought by quitting drinking all my health woes would eventually work out, who knows have a great AF day all
                        Last edited by paulywogg; February 7, 2020, 08:49 AM.
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

I picked this quote because I'd just talked to a friend that's a hot mess. She's constantly having vague health issues that keep her feeling sick and defeated. I've often wanted to suggest this quote to her but I've always chickened out. Wish things could be different for her. Wish I was brave enough....

I'll take another 24 :>)

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Great quote this morning Ginger. So much of what impacts us depends on how we show up.

Jude, we used to deal with lake effect snow when we lived in eastern Ontario and as crazy as our weather can be here, we don’t miss the sleet, heavy snow and high winds. I wish everyone in the Cafe could come to Mexico! I’m going to try a few of the mocktails while we’re there plus I’ll be filling my travel mug with tropical fruit juices before hitting the beach.

Our Parkinson meeting went very well yesterday, thanks to the efforts of the new coordinator who reached out to some members who had stopped coming plus our guest speaker gave a great presentation and answered many questions. I think next month we may need a larger room.

Have a great af Friday everyone!

QW
                            AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                            F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

I heard the northeast corner of the U.S. was expecting a bad snowstorm. That sounds like a dreadful commute for you, Jude.

B- blood, Dill! That is a rare kind. I just have the most common kind of A+. I never had to worry about having high iron level when I was premenopausal either, Pauly. The opposite was more likely to occur!

I hear Beckett got over 7 pounds this week for his weight! His mother is very pleased.

I’ve been a candy monster today -ugh. Well, the carbs do help me sleep better anyways. And it’s not booze! 24 hours more please.
                              Last edited by Slo; February 8, 2020, 08:38 AM.
                              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Saturday quote....
                                Saw this on Facebook and it made me chuckle. Thought I'd share.

Comment

Working...
                                X