~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

I just saw this and thought it worth sharing since we’re all affected by Covid-19. The information is specific to the US but has relevance for us in Canada. Our population is roughly 10% of the US so it’s easy to see the potential impact here.

This is long but well worth reading.

How can a disease with a 1% mortality rate shut down the United States?

There are two problems with this question.

First, it neglects the law of large numbers, and
    Second, it assumes that one of two things will happen: you die or you’re 100% fine.

The US has a population of 328,200,000. If 1% dies, that’s 3,282,000 people dead.

Three million people dead would monkey wrench the economy no matter what. That more than doubles the number of annual deaths all at once.

The second bit is people keep talking about deaths. Deaths, deaths, deaths. Only 1% die. Just 1%. One is a small number! No big deal, right?

What about the people who survive? For every one person who dies:

19 more require hospitalization.
    18 of those will have permanent heart damage for the rest of their lives.
    10 will have permanent lung damage.
    3 will have strokes
    2 will have neurological damage that leads to loss of cognitive function.

So now all of a sudden that “but it’s only 1%” becomes:

3,282,000 people dead
    62,358,000 people hospitalized
    59,076,000 people with permanent heart damage
    32,820,000 people with permanent lung damage
    9,846,000 people with muscle weakness
    6,564,000 people with loss of cognitive function

That’s the thing that the folks who keep going on about “only 1% dead, what’s the big deal?” don’t get.

The choice is not “ruin the economy to save 1%” . If we reopen the economy, it will be destroyed anyway. The US economy cannot survive everyone getting Covid-19.

Franklin Veaux
    Professional Writer
    Last edited by Quit wining; July 19, 2020, 07:47 PM.
    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Interesting read QW. At this point I don't know what to believe. Things will probably never get back to "normal" until a safe and reliable vaccine is discovered.

Thanks for breakfast yesterday cowboy! Delish!

I rode Homer yesterday and he does seem better with his new shoes. The owner of the barn watched me ride and said that he is much better than he was. Hope that it continues....

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Good morning and happy Monday. The summer is literally flying by. I’m trying to stay busy and positive during this pandemic. Thanks for yesterdays breakfast Cowboy. Hope everyone has a great Monday!

Comment

5:50am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
          [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

That's great news about Homer [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]! Hopefully the shoes continue doing the trick!

Great quote this morning [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION], so much truth in it!

Interesting reading [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION], thanks for sharing it! And I seem to recall it's a special day for you and Mrs QW!

Mr & Mrs QW!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Great reminder, Rava.

Happy Anniversary to you two, QW.

Jude, good news about Homer. I'll keep sending pony prayers.

Hoping everyone has an easy AF week. I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs. QE! 5:52 am in Vegas another 24
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes! Hard to believe it’s number 46. I reminded Mrs QW that I was lighter and had no grey hair when I married her. Pauly, what are the Vegas odds on me making it to 47??
                  It’s been an interesting journey, one I’m glad we’re sharing.

After a late afternoon thunderstorm yesterday, the sun is out and it’s going to be very warm later on. We don’t feel comfortable dining out just yet so it’ll be barbecued steak for supper tonight along with grilled veggies and salad. Think there might be my favourite cheesecake too!

Have a great af Monday everyone!

QW
                  AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                  F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Happy belated anniversary QW!

Another 24please and thank you!

Comment

Happy Anniversary Mr and Mrs QW. Hope you enjoyed your bbq steaks! Hope everyone has a great AF day. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

5:35am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                        [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Happy belated Anniversary, QW! Where does the time go?!

I'm busy with my grand daughter here and missed posting yesterday. She threw me for a loop when she asked to stay a third night. So, she is still here this morning. It's been a really fun visit. She spends a lot of time outdoors and swimming in the pond. She enjoys rides in Mr. D's new toy. (the Ranger)

Ginger, I'm sure there are lots of people having to make difficult decisions due to the corona. If I were still in the schools I honestly don't know what I would choose to do. That's another reason why I am glad I am retired. I am hopeful about the vaccines tho. It seems very promising on many fronts. The f Oxford-AstraZeneca one that that was reported yesterday was very interesting in particular, but their are several others that really sound like they may turn the tide.

Hope everyone has a great day. 24 more, please and thank you.
                          Last edited by dill; July 21, 2020, 07:15 AM.
                          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

24 more please.
                            Happy Anniversary, QW!
                            Here's a link to another sad story of loss, due to AL
                            Paul Daugherty: Addiction's cruelty knows no bounds | Column
                            Best to you all

Comment

Headed to the beach Sunday for a week, if things stay open. Looking forward to some long beach walks and 63°F.

I've been having some strong craving the past few days. So weird how you can go along fine for months then bam, it hits you! Does that happen to anyone else? If so, what's your go to to get you through it?

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Dill, I've been torn in two over this whole virus the whole time, Louie REALLY wants/needs the structure and his friends of being in school yet it's irresponsible in a way to send them back I have no answers and glad I'm not in charge! QW I'll bet all my chips you two will make it to 47 and beyond sounds like the perfect way to celebrate to me, steak=happiness! 5:40 am in Vegas another 24, really wish we didn't do daylight savings time here anymore, I'd still be sleeping haha!
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X