Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Originally posted by Rava View Post
    Saturday greetings for the Cafe folks! Techie, sounds like you live in a really cool place. Your description of the birds soaring is like reading a good book! Pauly, my hubs is the same as yours and doesn't really understand why I can’t enjoy a random glass of wine. (He rarely drinks and when he does he would love a partner). I think he finally gets it and really doesn't say too much. I remind him that one of the qualities I love most about him is that he is not a regular drinker. I was not drinking when we met and married. My first marriage had lots of drinking and I didn't want to go down that road again. When i was sneaking my drinks earlier this week, I was too ashamed to let him know. Right there is a huge red flag!! I hope everyone has a great day today. Another 24 for me please and thank you. Grateful for this group for sure!!!
    Same,neither of us drank for the first 15 years of our marriage then all of a sudden we started with 2 on weekends to "help" us sleep,then a couple of years into it we'd both have progressed into really heavy drinkers (me more) he put the brakes on his before I did and only has a drink here and there and when he does it's at the most 3,I can go without for a bit then I seem to snap and binge for a few days which is probably worse for my poor body,anyhoo 5:48 am in Vegas I won't be drinking today,hope everyone has a fab AF Saturday!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

The folks here in the Cafe are indeed like family. Actually nicer than some family members! I look forward every morning to signing on and reading about what everyone has going on in their lives.

Techie, I can picture the red wing blackbirds flying. We have several that live at a nearby lake, it’s always a joy to see them. We also have lots of magpies that love to make noise. It’s almost like they’re talking to us when we walk by.

I’m looking forward to trying CBD oil and hope it’s a help. Sadly it’s being mailed from Toronto so I’m at the mercy of the post office.

Have a great af Saturday everyone! Stay safe, stay strong.

QW
      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Good Saturday morning, Cafe!

Techie your area sounds awesome. I wonder if we've been in your area during some of our wanderings.

My hubby drinks nightly. One beer and one shot of whiskey. I wish he'd stop but who am I to say anything? It makes it much harder for me sometimes though. If I asked him to stop he probably would. I just haven't asked.

Hope everyone has an easy AF weekend. I'll take 24 more!

Comment

Good morning, you cafe elites. Well, the blasting will begin around 2pm PST. Looking forward to being out with the cool air and sunshine. Perhaps we crossed paths, Ginger. We live in a much smaller world. Reminds me, I was in Chicago some years ago attending an IBM management class. I was walking to dinner on Division St with hordes of people, wind and snow. Someone says, are you Techie? It was a woman, I went to college with and had not seen in 25 years. She was living there. Nature is one of life’s joys, QW. Well, I wish everyone the best day possible as we close in on Christmas week. Blessings x
          Last edited by techie; December 19, 2020, 12:11 PM. Reason: Typo
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Just a quick stop for a little family time today. I've been busy doing this and that mostly holiday related. After I get done visiting I'm heading up to the gift wrapping department for a little while.

It's been great hearing everyone's different thoughts and memories!

24 more for me will do nicely.
            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Mr. J drinks on a daily basis, and having booze in the house is a real challenge for me. It helps having you folks here, but it sure is tough to ignore the voice at times.
              [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] I love redwing blackbirds! They migrate for the winter, but when they come back, I know that Spring is officially here!

Happy Sunday all! Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

I grew up around drinkers. I was a child of the Madmen generation/culture. (Mad Men is an American period drama television series created by Matthew Weiner and produced by Lionsgate Television.) Drinking was therefore a much accepted way of life. My parents sometimes hosted parties and the parties featured lots of drinking and for most, to excess. I remember seeing people falling down drunk on many occasions. I however did not become a regular or heavy drinker until I turned 21. Then, I drank to excess every time I drank. Mr. D had a different upbringing from mine. Drink was not a part of his. When we met and dated, drink was not a part of our time together. I don't remember thinking one way or the other about it. It was fine with me if we didn't drink. When we married I did not drink much until about 10 years in. We began socializing more at that time and when we did, I drank to excess every time. But only when we socialized and everyone else was drinking too so it went unnoticed as a problem. My real problem began when I started drinking at home on my own after work and while preparing dinner. This innocent (at first) activity grew less innocent gradually over time until it got out of control and I realized I could not stop. That's when I joined MWO. So grateful to be here! Mr. D doesn't care to drink and can easily have one and stop. He was always like that. I never could quite understand it but I sure do envy it! I asked Mr. D not to have any alcohol in the house and he gladly complied. He prefers a sober spouse and he knew it would not be possible for me to quit any other way.

So, lets have another day of freedom!
                Last edited by dill; December 20, 2020, 07:36 AM.
                Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:35am in Alberta, 24 for me and everyone else who needs them please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of wellness:
                  [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I'll get breakfast out, then carry on with my posts...

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good Morning Cafe! Good thing that breakfast is virtual as I need to lose some weight. Just looking at it I might gain a few pounds. LOL. Heading the to grocery store today to buy some food for the holiday dinner. This year will be the smallest ever. I don’t think our country will ever get back to normal in my lifetime. Things are just too far gone. I still am not drinking and my inner voice is not badgering me so thats good. When it wants a drink I am almost paralyzed trying to ignore it. As long as it stays quiet, I’m good. Hope everyone has a great Sunday. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

Not sure what happened to me, I grew up in a home that seldom saw drinking of any kind except on special occasions. I never saw either of my parents have more than 2 drinks, yet I could never get enough. I should have figured it out way back then...

I'm pretty lucky that Bubba and I live in an alcohol free house. The last time there was alcohol in our home was the first Christmas after I got sober. Bubba didn't want it even then, but I didn't want the kids to think they could never drink around me again. They didn't drink anything that Christmas, nor most anytime we have been together since! I don't think Bubba has had even one drink in the past 4 years, and not because she has a problem, but she says if I can live without it, so can she.

I guess that makes it a bit easier to maintain my sobriety, but I still have my moments like everyone else. Take last night for example. We loaded up Hank in the car at 5:15, ordered Chinese take-out for 6:00, then took a drive around town to look at Christmas lights. We ended up at the restaurant to pick up supper and as we drove back to the house we passed a liquor store with a Budweiser sign flashing in the window. I can't believe how strong the urge was to have a cold one with supper! It only took me a few moments to understand that I was thirsty after the 45 minute tour around town and was sure glad when I popped the tab on my Arizona Iced Tea when we got home! Even after almost 6 years, it shows that I can never get complacent about my sobriety...
                        Last edited by abcowboy; December 20, 2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Awesome posts about how we got started on the wrong path, I think it's a good thing to be able to pinpoint a time when we knew it was turning into a problem, I didn't know for years or I knew and denied it to myself, my kids and hubs and a few friends all told me I was over the line but I dismissed them all like a typical drunk asshole, I seem to get very cocky with drinks in me and I'm completely different than my usual self and I don't like that person! Techie, have fun with the explosion haha QW, keep us posted when you get and try the cbd, Rava, I don't know how the "normal" is gonna look like when we ever get there again either, will we always be paranoid and wear masks forever? Is the vaccine gonna be effective enough to get us where we need to be? I just don't know I try not to think about it much cuz I just get sad when I really sit down and think of all that's gone on, waves the the gang and wishes for a happy AF Sunday for us all!
                          Last edited by paulywogg; December 20, 2020, 09:12 AM.

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Awesome posts about how we got started on the wrong path, I think it's a good thing to be able to pinpoint a time when we knew it was turning into a problem, I didn't know for years or I knew and denied it to myself, my kids and hubs and a few friends all told me I was over the line but I dismissed them all like a typical drunk asshole, I seem to get very cocky with drinks in me and I'm completely different than my usual self and I don't like that person! Techie, have fun with the explosion haha QW, keep us posted when you get and try the cbd,Rava, I don't know how the "normal" is gonna look like when we ever get there again either, will we always be paranoid and wear masks forever? Is the vaccine gonna be effective enough to get us where we need to be? I just don't know I try not to think about it much cuz I just get sad when I really sit down and think of all that's gone on, waves the the gang and wishes for a happy AF Sunday for us all!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

We had French toast the other day Cowboy. Homemade bread, blueberries that I preserved back in July, fresh raspberries from Mexico and Quebec maple syrup. Some good!

I grew up in a house where my dad smoked. Mom hated smoking. I smoked for about 10 years. Dad drank a lot for a lot of years but I can recall only a couple of occasions where he drank to excess. Mom would have a glass or two of wine but nothing more.
                              It took me a long time to give up alcohol, am I ever glad I did.

For a few years I collected fossils and when living in eastern Ontario, I found a fossil that dated back 325 million years. In this part of Alberta there are tons of dinosaur bone fossils. The Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller has some amazing displays.

Interesting to read about spouses who drink. Mrs QW misses having the very occasional glass of wine but knows it might be too tempting for me so doesn’t mention it. Probably a good thing because we know how easy it is to get right back into drinking. Let’s all keep pissing off the beast!

Have a great af Sunday everyone. Stay safe, stay strong.

QW
                              AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                              F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Thanks for brekkie, ABC. I too am glad it's virtual. As hard as I try, the pounds are creeping up!

When I was growing up, we never had any alcohol in the house and my parents never drank. My mom's dad was a terrible alcoholic and that left a mark on her so even having alcohol around was not an option. I started drinking off and on in high school to be cool but hated it. After my third son was born, I started to drink and couldn't stop. I was so young and so overwhelmed. Where we lived was isolated so I had very few interactions with other mom's my age. It was a culmination of things. The worst part, all three of my boys drink to excess regularly. I blame myself for that but I also know when they want to quit, they'll find the strength to do it.

May we all have an easy AF Sunday. Thanks for being here and always listening and sharing. 24 more!

Comment

Working...
                                X