One Step at Time-Feburary 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Morning, Friends!

I got home from the funeral last night. It was an amazing weekend. The wake, funeral, and receptions afterwards were filled with collages of my uncle, great food and superb conversation....all six of my uncle's children and their families were there. The weather was beautiful...sunny and warm. I love Maine. It is such a breathtaking place. I don't think I told you all that while my uncle who passed away was a very successful dentist, and often did dental work for free for the poor. He was also a functioning alcoholic. None of his siblings or children ever called him that because he worked very hard, put six kids through college, and was a devoted son, brother, father, husband and grandfather. He never missed work and was known for his generosity with others. BUT....all 3 out of his 5 sons are VERY heavy drinkers and I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of them become full-blown alcoholics in the next couple of years. His youngest son, who is 50, gave a eulogy that was unmatched...it was that good! He made people laugh and cry at the same time, and he delivered the eulogy so perfectly that he did not miss a beat. He is very articulate and a successful businessman, and while everyone gave him kudos after the funeral Mass and the reception, but 5:30 PM he was so drunk that he didn't make any sense. It was so frustrating to see because he is married to a wonderful woman and they have two lovely young daughters. I hope he recognizes that he is on the AL path and he does something before his marriage is ruined, etc.

I am at home today, trying to get ready for my trip tomorrow. I will be in Wisconsin but a couple of hours away. Another long commute. Ah well...I am only working two days this week and that works for me. Hahhahaha!!

Nora-I am sorry you are sad about the anniversary of your dad's passing. I am sure he adored you as much as you adored him. I loved the picture of your son and DIL's wedding. Cute Mickey ears, too!

Mama-Nana is probably grumpy because she misses Pops and I am sure the days get very long for her. So glad you go over there on Sundays, though. I KNOW she appreciates it but probably doesn't verbalize it.

Big hellos to everyone else. I did not sleep well in my cousin's son's bunk bed this weekend so I slept in this morning and I feel like I am two hours behind so I better get going!

I hope everyone has a Happy Monday!!

Comment

Rusty, sounds like a nice weekend, inspite of your uncles passing. It is sad that the sons are drinking. Let's hope they find this way out of it.
      Mama, I get the whole grumpy thing with nana. My sister had to go to her MIL yesterday and since we were hanging out I tagged along. I have known her for many years but boy was she depressing. We did the best we could to cheer her up, but I was exhausted when we left. Meanwhile my sisters husband just got laid off, the kids are a handful and all his mother could talk about was her. With every fiber of my being I promise not to be that grumpy old person! Off to walk Lucy, I'll be back tonight.

Comment

Rusty, that's sad about your cousins. I agree with you re: Maine. Mrs. Fen and I had our first vacation together at Acadia. It was a gorgeous place.

I have a much needed day off tomorrow. I am beyond exhausted! Tonight has been devoted to reading all the condo association minutes, documents, bylaws etc. of the place I will be purchasing. Tomorrow, I am running the earnest money over to the seller's realtor's office. We are having a winter storm tonight.

Comment

Hello friends. Hope all is well. So sorry to read about your uncle rusty. Sending light and prayers to you and yours!
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Thanks, Techie! Great to see you! How was the skiing lesson and then the EXPERT skiing to follow?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              Thanks, Techie! Great to see you! How was the skiing lesson and then the EXPERT skiing to follow?
              Thanks so much for asking. It went great. Taos mountain can be very intimidating. So I spent most of my time skiing Angelfire. Much more confident on the steep stuff!
              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Techie, I've never done downhill skiing, only x country. I think you are a brave soul!

Comment

Sorry, I've been so busy lately.

Yes, SKendall, mom is in agreement about her house. The guy came and looked again and raised the offer to 95 K.

Mama, I hear you about nana. Sometimes, I want to throttle my own dear mom.

I don't think I mentioned that someone at work is interested in me....the maintenance dude manager. Sigh. He was divorced last year, so we have that in common. He wants to meet up after work and discuss our... ahem...divorces. He's been making eye contact with me and trying to chat me up ever since I started, so I think he digs me, amazingly. I agreed to meet up with him on Thursday. I bet that my circumstances will cool his ardor. But then, who knows? He seems like a decent guy. Dunno.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated by you, my peeps.

Pauly, how are your allergies? How is the weather?

Liz, that's great about C.J.!
                  Last edited by fennel; February 29, 2016, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Hey all - I'm sorry - I whined all about the site being down and now I haven't posted. Just been so busy. Wanted to say hi and now I'm reading back. Be back in a flash...................nthego:
                    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I was at mom's the other day...baby sis has done a good job of getting mom to clear the treasures out of her basement, but there is so much more. I found a napkin holder from "Biblical Gardens" in WI Dells...a place we used to visit when I was a kid. It was basically a park with life sized statues in the woods. The statues were of biblical scenes. My mom swooned over it whenever we went there, LOL. Anyhoo, the napkin holder (which looks to be made of cedar, with a laquered photo of Jesus, arms open, and children running to him in the WI woods) I think I will take. My mom will be thrilled...THRILLED! She has held on to so many of these items for we girls to feather our nests with. I did feel a twinge of sentimentality when I saw the napkin holder.

Comment

Here's the pic on the napkin holder...

Comment

Fen, you go girl. I think it's great to have someone to "discuss" your divorce with. Maybe he's lonely too. Good for you.
                          Spent the night watching netflix with CJ. Don't usually do that but we found a show we really enjoy,

Comment

Cross post fen. I'm big on those sentimental treasures. I say take all you can get!

Comment

I have been trying to check in several times a day even when I can't post. It helps to keep me grounded and reminds me to stay strong. Plus, of course, I care about all of you and hate when I lose that connection. :hug:

Rusty - I've been thinking of you. I'm glad that it was a good weekend. Really sorry to hear about their alcohol issues. Hard to watch when you've been down that road yourself. You want to stop them.

Fen - is the condo yours for sure? I hope that you have a good day off.
                              Tough one with the maint manager. You guys will probably have a good time and end up being friends. He'll have to look somewhere else for the romance.
                              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Thanks, Liz. What show are you watching?

I felt oddly attached to that danged napkin holder, LOL! I don't want to be like mom, though. Basically, everything we ever owned as a family has never left the house. Just scary!

Comment

Working...
                                X