Liver Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liver Damage

Good morning everyone. I have drank heavily for over 40 years and am currently taking AB. I find it does help as there is know option to drink unless you want to be very sick! Drank on it once and landed myself in hospital! I have a question in regard to the condition of my liver. My liver function tests are always normal but I suspect that's only part of the story. I have read that the Liver can be seriously damaged and yet we can still functionOK. How can one find out the true condition of our Livers? Is a biopsy the way to go? Would really appreciate your advice on this matter.Every time I ask my doctor I come away confused. He seems to think if the LFT is ok there is need to worry! Thanks

Welcome NeedtoChange-the only way you can REALLY know if your liver is damaged is if you go in for an ultrasound. If your doctor won't schedule you for one, demand it or find a doctor who will do so. Pop into The Newbies Nest in the Just Starting Out Forum. Lots of good advice there. Good luck!

Comment

I drank for nearly as long and had abnormal LFTs for 10 years. Had several ultrasounds and was diagnosed with fatty liver disease. After 3 years alcohol free I now have perfectly normal LFTs. The liver is one organ that really bounces back but I think you know the answer. If you are worried the best answer is to not drink
      Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Working...
      X