Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Topic - Choosing a Dog breed

Hi Scoobs,
    I have a Patterdale Terrier, a little guy who'd fight with his shadow, keeps escaping and barks regularly, so one of those is out the window.
    I used to have a German Shepherd. Intelligent and fun, but cast like nothing earth.
    There's a smallish breed that I was looking at before I got Stan that doesn't bark at all.
    A Basenji. I think they originate from Africa. I've only ever seen one. It was very nice.
    Hope it helps.

Comment

Hart,
      Yes, I am peeking in your bathroom.
      It's better than peeing in your bathroom, isn't it?
      Boop wanted to show me how he amusing himself when you are working.
      You should see what else he does, when you are not looking.
      Meow-Meow
      MonaKitty

Comment

I was looking at a basenji too, they are very active little dogs, and they do not bark(seriously) they do not require a ton of attention, but they do need a ton of activity.( I run a lot, but I also live in an apartment, so I opten not to get one yet)
        It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
        James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

I have a retired racing greyhound, she's adorable, but an only dog. Not one that would be a good companion for a small dog. Some greyhounds have high prey drive, so little dogs are like rabbits to them. Basenjis are an intelligent breed, very attractive, and that's what we were thinking about before we decided on a greyhound - whos also allgergy-free to my husband. For a smaller dog, I think Shiba Inu's are really cute - they don't bark, are very clean - they look like little foxes. Maybe you have a rescue in your area?
          "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Hey Scoobie, what a great idea to have a second dog... First , does Rocky enjoy other dogs? Some dogs really do not want another dog in "their space" I'm sooo sorry to sound so down... 2 dogs are awesome for sure !!! I have 2 labs, that are soo much a part of the family.... Rocky is one very lucky little fella for you to think so highly of his happiness... Next lifetime I'm comin' back as Scoobs dog guys !! Hugs and happy puppy shoppin' Good Luck to you ! ~Niblet~

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Scooby
              I work a lot with animals and do a lot for the local animal shelters. There are so many totally wonderful dogs in shelters waiting for a great mom such as you. Please check out your local shelter. You can see the craziest mixes of breeds and pure breeds also. The great thing about a shelter dog is that you can meet it before you decide. And a good shelter will let you introduce Rocky to his new bro/sis so you can see how they get along before making the decision to adopt. A good shelter will also know the dogs they have and help recommend one that would do well with Rocky. Please try to adopt some lovely animal that for some terrible reason, no one wanted. They are so grateful when you take them home!! Some may have to be euthanized if not adopted in a certain period of time so you may be saving a life also.
              Also, I think two Jack Russells would drive you crazy. They are such a high energy breed and are easily excited by the presence of other animals. I'm afraid they might stimulate each other too much and it could turn into a real problem for you and your family. I would try to find a dog that is less stimulating.
              Good luck - I just love doggies!! Let us know what you decide.
              Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

scoob,
                we have an eight year old kelpie just like the one in the avatar, got him when I was a single man, he was a pup for about 3 years,still fit as and has really mellowed out now. I have three little kids and we are also thinking about #2. My wife has always wanted a border collie, they are very smart dogs but I reckon we would have to go for the short hair type. A few of my mates have got staffys which I reckon would make a great second edition. I tried to adopt a dog from the rspca but they werent too keen when they found out that I had another dog for some reason. good luck
                "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Wow... thanks for all of this great and funny advice. I'm glad I asked!

Niblet, you make me laugh! I think Rocky would absolutely love a new play mate. He's not territorial and I doubt very much that he'd be a jealous kind of dog. Life's too short for Rocky and he just wants to have fun-fun-fun! God... he'd really love it!

We will most likely buy (adopt) a dog from the shelter... I totally agree with so many others sentiments here. We picked Rocky from the shelter when he was only 6 weeks. I was really torn between some of the older dogs - knowing that the fate of older dogs is more tenuous, so who knows, we might even go for a mature dog.

Happier, your dog sounds gorgoues and really sweet, and GG a Schnauzer (sp?) was a good match result for us too. Several of you have Retrievers and Labs. Our garden is not a big one... it's 25 feet by 50 feet long (Thanks for the estimate Mick!) so I'm thinking that a lab/retiever might be too big... but I would LOVE a lab or retriever! Oh and Max, IBorder Collies are so smart... but again; is our garden too small?

Googling Staffies now. Mick likes the idea of a Staffie...

Do you think our garden would be too small for a dog that size?

Scoobs
                  :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

SEE ME??? SEE ME??? ARN'T I THE CUTEST THING EVER??? You could have one of me!! I also LOVE Jack Russell's. The guy who takes care of our pool brings his over and we just play and play. My mommy saved me from the local shelter (THANKS MOM!!) and she tell me all the time how great I am. If you go to a shelter with your STAR you can see who your STAR wants as a new sibling...NOW isn't that a great idea? And you save a life too. But you can't have me!!! I am already taken. I know, I am very cute..but there are others...I promise.

Terri (that is spelt with a heart over the "i")

Oh, and also my mom Beth say's "hi"
                    formerly known as bak310

Comment

We have a Jack Russell too, she rules our 2 labs, eng. mastiff, that is an awesome housedog, but probably too big for most folks, and a bulldog, the bulldog and the Jack are bestest pals, and bulldogs are hysterical! And smart, and he and the Jack are the bestest pals, get a bulldog, they are a hoot!
                      "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

I reckon if rocky is so full on you would need to keep it to a similar size, a poor old golden retriever wouldnt stand a chance. we have one next door and he is scared of the birds! the staffy will be able to stand up for itself when it has had enough of the yap,which may even quieten rocky down a bit, are great with kids, the back yard will be fine as long as you get out for a walk every now and then and they are also a cool blokes dog for the hubby! looks like I am sold anyway. I really would like another kelpie, But that aint gunna happen!
                        "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Working...
                        X