No announcement yet.

One Step at a Time April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ne, thank you for the shout out. Yes, Chi-town is cold. I remember walking along the lakefront during the winter as a college freshman and seeing icicles growing sideways, the wind off the lake being so strong. As much as I'd like to think I can tolerate winter there after four years of college and a year and a half in Iowa for grad school, I have lived in Florida 18 years. But every coin has two sides. They might have 7-8 months of winter, but we have 7-8 months of the opposite extreme. We're already experiencing summer weather with highs in the 90s and afternoon thunderstorms and a 1,000% humidity. In one place, you don't want to be out most of the year because of the cold, and in the other place, because of the heat and humidity. I'd like to think the cold wouldn't keep me from doing stuff outside, you just have to find other stuff to do. During winter trips to Vermont, I went snowshoeing and I've always wanted to learn how to downhill ski. Not possible in flat-as-a-pancake northern Illinois, but I'm sure there are places in Wisconsin just up the road where that could be done.

Steps 4 and 10 (a moral inventory) are really what is keeping my life under control right now. Once I can see how my own bad behavior has negatively impacted a situation or an interpersonal relationship, the resentment instantly evaporates. That came really hard for me, as I have always tended to be a petty, spiteful, grudge holder. But as the Big Book says somewhere, "anger is the dubious luxury of normal people." I can't be that way if I intend to stay sober because that's the kind of shit I drank over. My ex has her own issues and fanned the flames of animosity in her own way, but when it comes down to it, the only winners from all this bullshit were the attorneys.

Well, I have had a stressful effing day because of a work-related certification exam. Going to try to find something completely mindless to watch on Netflix, then take little Miss Petunia out for a walk after it cools down. She's dropped a ton of weight but she still needs to lose about two pounds. Her previous owner let her balloon up to 22 lbs. and she's only a mini dachshund. If that were a human child, it would be called child abuse. The rescue agency got her down to 14, but she should weigh between 10-12 pounds.

Hope everyone is having/had a great day.
    Last edited by aihfl; April 30, 2016, 02:21 PM.
    First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

aihfl, the 4th step is very important for an honest look at ourselves. I did AA for a couple of years, but the drunk stories made me thirsty for al.

I have the same concerns as you moving back to TX. I moved there from Toronto (transfer) and during the first week (July) we were walking out of the galleria and I turned back and told husband we had better wait until it cools down. He said, "you'll be here until October"! The heat killed me and was often nauseous from it.

However, my only daughter and g/daughter are there and after the accident, we both agreed I should be there. As much as TX gets a bad rap, the city she is in (Plano) is the safest city in all of the U.S. The people are well educated and very nice and the COL a pretty good deal. In Toronto it now costs $1M for a starter home, and the same in Vancouver. Somebody buy my house darn it!

The husband gave me a credit card for expenses and I never take advantage. He hasn't made a payment on it, so now I can't use it and this is the second time he's done it. I'm using his gold AMEX until he shuts that down too.
      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Originally posted by SKendall View Post
        aihfl, the 4th step is very important for an honest look at ourselves. I did AA for a couple of years, but the drunk stories made me thirsty for al.
        For me, the issue were never the "drinkalogues," but rather when people start rambling on and on, beyond the three minutes to which they're supposed to limit their sharing. And the worst ramblers are the ones who are always employing recovery jargon and parroting stock phrases they've picked up in rehab, group therapy or other meetings. I'm not "allowed" to chair meetings anymore and only do so if no one else is present cares to, because of my enforcement of the three minute guideline. I believe there have been actual studies done that peoples' attentions begin to wander after having someone speak at them over three minutes. I'm a big believer in the "if it's over three minutes, it's bullshit" axiom.

Plano seems like a great place. One of my colleagues for the AP exam reading works for the Plano Independent School District. I've never heard anything bad about it, and as an educator, it seems to be a place that highly values the strength of its public schools.
        Last edited by aihfl; April 30, 2016, 03:19 PM.
        First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Hello everyone.....hope that you all are having a fantastic Saturday.
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Thanks for all the congrats about the baby everyone. I’m so excited. I’ve started buying little baby things and OMG they’re so gorgeous. I can't stop squealing.

Now – I’m sorry to drag the conversation down but here’s something special for you Mr G, but you'll have to look closely. It’s a photo with a glimpse of something shocking – yep, I'm wearing red underwear

boot2.jpg
            There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
            You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Glassy,I so envy you on this journey of being a grand. I so fell in love with Vivian I was her daycare provider for 16 months and although we live in different states we are closely bonded.

Last weekend she earned her first medal at ice skating and...just don't get me started lol!

Enjoy all of it.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

aihfl, yes it does value education and values and Plano Independent School system looks pretty good on a resume.

Thanks for saying that.

Glassy, 'aint seen any red underwear! That's okay, no need to point me in that direction
                Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Sk - how old is Vivian? (and that's such a pretty name btw).

And also, don't worry - it was only my toes!
                  Last edited by Glass Half Empty; April 30, 2016, 10:17 PM.
                  There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
                  You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Originally posted by aihfl View Post
                    Can I pull everyone away from dancing on SF's grave long enough to point out he is far from the only objectionable poster here?
                    Thank you for this. I agree. We should be supporting each other - not attacking.

We are all here for the purpose of learning to stop letting alcohol rule our lives whether it be thru moderation or by abstaining. There are different ways to achieve this IMHO - some can tell themselves "I AM DONE" and they are done. Some go to rehab. Some go to AA. Others use medication, herbs, meditation, tapes, books, acupuncture, etc.

That is why this forum is so important to me - MY Way Out. We all have different ways.
                    I tried so many, many things - the only thing that I didn't do from that list above was the rehab and I still don't say I am done even though I believe I am. But, being able to be here and have support has helped me reach this point.
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Glassie - so exciting about a new granddaughter. :welldone::heartthumbs:
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                      X