New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New

Hi I'm new to these forums and about 2 months sober from alcohol. I'm posting here because I have a love/hate relationship with AA and I'm willing to try these forums as another way to maintain sobriety.

Hi South and welcome. I have never been to AA but different things work for different people. MWO has kept me sober for two Plus years and i log on daily and read to be accountable. There are lots of different threads to settle into or head over to the Newbies Nest and introduce yourself. Always someone around in the world to chat to.

Great work on 2 months sober.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Welcome, SouthShoreGirl

You're more courageous than I was! I just couldn't publicly admit my problem. Finding an online forum in many ways (and maybe literally) saved my life.

I think you'll find people here to be pretty open-minded and won't tell you what to do unless you ask. Frankly, I'd lost so much confidence in myself, I was happy to find people who had succeeded and simply did what they said like get rid of all the alcohol in the house, post before drinking, etc. -- practical stuff like that.

It's great that you already have 2 months alcohol-free (AF)! Even though you're not a brand new newbie, you might consider joining in in the Newbies Nest. It is a fairly busy thread with lots of supportive, kind people posting (go to the last page and then read back a bit to get to know everyone). But feel free to jump in on any thread where the posters seem to share your goals. You would be welcome in any of them.

Also ask any questions - someone will be around and happy to answer.

All the best, NS

Hi, Ava - just saw your post. Looks like I repeated what you'd already said!!

Comment

Hello and welcome. I don't know any twelve stepper that doesn't have a love/hate relationship with AA. For about the past two weeks, I've found myself a bit irritated with AA, but I still go to meetings, though not every day anymore. People just occasionally get on your nerves in real life so why should our expectations be any different when it comes to meetings? Plus, you never know when you might be able to help someone else. I think the best reason to keep AA as a component of your recovery is that when you really need support, I know I can call someone from AA, even at 3 in the morning, and SOMEONE will pick up. This is a great resource, but when someone (not saying it's you) is imminently about to take a drink, posting on an internet forum and waiting for a reply is inadequate. And I just want to throw this out there because this definitely applies to me, I need someone telling me what to do. I tried doing it my way, and guess what happened? I continued to drink and abuse my prescription drugs. My way got me drunk and high. It's not an easy thing to seek guidance, especially for addicts and alcoholics. The last thing we want is for someone to tell us what to do. But for most of us, it's a necessity.
        First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

SouthShoreGirl, welcome, and congrats on two months. It took me awhile to really quit for good, but now it's been a good long time, I'm on my fourth year AF. AA never appealed to me, the support here has worked for me. I posted frequently, and often this served as a journal of my thinking. Reality sank in gradually as it slowly became clear that alcohol added nothing, and only took away from my life. Now, life just keeps getting better because I can make my life happen. Before, alcohol had too much power.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Welcome Southshore Girl! I am impressed, 2 months? That is GREAT!
            Read, read, read and take what works and forget the rest. Glad to have you aboard!
            (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Warm welcome!
              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Welcome. I read and posted in the Newbies Nest when I first joined. I learned so much helpful information and got so much wonderful advice I'm stll af after 3 years.
                No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Working...
                X