No announcement yet.

One Step at a Time - June 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nora, my dad had severe dementia and it is heartbreaking. He would sometimes ask the "when am I going back home? questions and I used to tell him "soon" because trying to explain it any other way wasn't easily comprehended by him. One time I visited him in Toronto from WA state, and he asked if I would "sneak him out" of the nursing home back to WA. It was very sad.
    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Yes - it is so sad. I think that what really got to me this morning was the look on her face. She woke up and asked if we were traveling today and I said no. Then she asked when we were leaving to go home. I told her that this is her home and she got the biggest grin on her face thinking that I was joking with her. Then she said, no really - when am I going home? And when I very seriously told her that no Mom, you moved here. The look on her face just broke my heart.
      Tearing up even as I type this. It's when she has the short moments when she realizes that she isn't right in her mind......she doesn't know what's wrong but she knows that something is wrong with her memory. That is when it hurts so bad. I am dealing ok with her not remembering things. Thank God that she still remembers me. But, she always forgets that son & DIL live here. I know that if she didn't see me, she wouldn't remember to wonder where I was. But, I can deal with that because SHE doesn't know that something is wrong. It hurts so much when I see that she knows something is wrong with her.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Oh, sweet Nora, "like" is not the right thing but I just wanted you to know I heard you and empathize with your pain. I am not there yet, but will be some day I'm sure. Hang in there!

Comment

:heart::heart:AG - thank you.....that really means a.lot.
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Molls - thank you! Sometimes it just helps to talk to someone that has been thru it with their parent. It's s so hard to describe the feelings I'm going thru. xxx
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good morning, Nora, I hope you went back to bed! the Satz party will still be going on at a more appropriate hour

Big news on this side of the world, UK leaving the Euro.. get out the popcorn..
              AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Bueno amigos,Brady comes home tonight!!!! I'm so happy,I miss my baby dunno what I'm gonna do when he ever moves out for good? Hopefully he'll be in his 50's and it won't bother me by then Hahahaha!! So elated to see Molly and Jackie back,tbh them being gone was like if Byrdie and Lav left,pillars here that help hold the foundation up,of course everyone is important, I think those 4 cone off the top of my head cuz they were here when I joined and outspoken around the boards,went to make oatmeal and only had 1/4 of a cup left,grrr,just topped that paltry serving with banana and nuts,now I'm gonna be all hungry,hope we all have a great Friday
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

I have been reading about that Satz...it will be interesting to see what happens.
                  Nora - I have no words. I am so glad your mom is there with you. Pop disappeared, too. You know I am always here for you.
                  Lizz - I wanna go shopping!!
                  hey Army peeps....keep hanging around. The more the merrier!!
                  Clay is trying to give Trina some time and then says he will start his pursuit of her. I have mixed emotions about that one.
                  I was missing K9 last night......
                  Dots - it is so good to see you. Truly!
                  Kisses to all....muah....Pauly, AG, Mers, aihfl, SK, Glassy,Nora...I am sure I have forgotten someone. I have to get on a call in 10 minutes.
                  Working from home but am dressed and have my face on....
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Good Morning, Friends!

I am working with my most favorite client....the stories about our parents with dementia makes me anxious and sad. I sure hope I don't face that with my Mom. It would just kill me. I admire all of us who stay sober while we see our parents, clients, and loved ones decline physically and mentally. Situations like this are a challenge to my sobriety but I will power through, as Pauly's signature line states. Thanks, Pauly! I tend to REALLY, CONSTANTLY overthink things so your signature lines hit home with me.

Nora, no, I am not home for a few days. I leave REALLY early for Florida on Sunday. Working long hours..no time for beaches, etc. Ah, that's ok, though.

Mama-ugh, I hated firing people when I was a boss.

Love to all. Happy POETS' Day.

Comment

Vile venom on the daily thread,I can't believe my eyes
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Pauly - I saw that.

Molls, Mers & everyone else - please keep the door open here. We LOVE having you post here.
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Pauly - so glad that Brady is coming home!!!!!

And, I agree 100% about missing Molls & JC.
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Better get some work done - I'll be back.

Love & hugs xx
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Rusty - how long are you going to be in Florida?

Mama - hope that things work out happily ever after for Clay. :heart:
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Liz - keep us posted please. Everything is still crossed. :hug:
                                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                                X