August Army 2016....Gates are open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
    I'll bet there are a fair few of us who used to wake up in the morning wishing we'd died during the night...............sooooooooooooooooooo grateful those nights are over.

I got the money back for the sofa bed that didn't arrive and bought another on which will arrive slap bang in the middle of the week we're away. I'll have to ask a neighbour to take it in......................its flatpacked so shouldn't take up too much room.
    Where are you off to again JC? I forget??
    AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
      Evening,
      Mr M is cooking from his new Persian cook book. Still. Started at 6.35pm:hung:
      We did have a really good pistachio dip so far.. Usually we are both hammered by now, having the craic or fighting like tinkers.
      :harhar: you paint an hilarious picture. You must be feckin' starving ?
      Since getting sober I have no patience when it comes to waiting for food.

Edit : Here there's no such place as Persia any more is there ? It's Iran ?
      Last edited by satz123; August 20, 2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Great post Tony - an awful lot of it resonates with me.....

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka
          was looking at the soup maker in Harvey Norman's today --- was verra verra tempted!! haha -- my shopping is panic buying -- when the business is sold we'll be skint -- so need to get all my equipment up to date -- may never get another lappie -- haha --- poor Joe is in shock horror -- came into Harvey N's to meet me RIGHT at the wrong time (she was saying how much it was) -- he's been pale ever since:applouse:

now I'm orf to bed -- I could happily live in a virtual world --- no need for conversation nor NOTHIN!!
          No Way Molly, I got it in Harvey N's today!! (for that model, they were the cheaper than argos and DiD), I called before hand and they only had 2 left in stock. Get the last one tomorrow and we can talk soup all week!

Dinner was yum, (as u would expect after 2+ hours and every utensil, bowl and pot used), came with a history lesson, yep, they call it Iran now Satz..
          Middle eastern flavours Molly - v good food.

Off to bed with my big middle eastern belly.:moon:

Comment

Morning - Just making the best coffee of the morning - the one you take back to bed and fall back to sleep while it gets cold!!

We have a great soup-maker for the restaurant - he's called Ken - you just tell him what you've got a surplus of and a while later there's a soup... Marvelous.

Mary you asked how my wife finds the new me... I immediately thought of the flippant answer "well she just comes into the house and there I am"!!! BUT you know there is a whole element of truth in that.

She now knows where I am going to be. If she comes home then I'm not in a bar, or going to the shop for more wine, or raiding the stock in our restaurant, I'm where I said I'd be... So the flippant answer is actually the truth.

She (Mrs T) is away a couple of nights each week for work. I am home alone at the moment. I think that she is still very apprehensive of me slipping back. Yesterday I was out with the dogs and had left my mobile at home. Mrs T rang and I didn't answer. She told me when we spoke later that her immediate thought was "Oh no, here we go again". I guess that this will take a lot longer to change, after all, why the hell should she trust me not to drink when I've been drinking myself stupid for so many years?

I think there is a huge element of "getting to know each other again" and that does have it's ups and downs but we're getting there ... slowly.:thumbsup:

Comment

Morning campers.
              I am 3 years off the grog Tony and was just thinking yesterday - that Mr S has finally accepted that :

When I say something I mean it - not just shite talk
              I have little interest in pubs - unless there is good food involved
              He has a driver everywhere we go - NEVER happened in my drinking days.
              If I'm happy - the darting eyes have stopped looking for the bottle.
              Any empties for bottle bank cannot be blamed on me

Any other +'s Army

Comment

Good morning,

A plus...........not waking up at 3am with heart palpatations, fear and dread and regardless of all the promises you made the night before you're going to repeat yesterday all over again. :sad:

I think there is a huge element of "getting to know each other again" and that does have it's ups and downs but we're getting there .
                Spot on Tony.

Took a while for me and Mr JC..............remember when he came in from work after (I was about a year/18 months AF) and was asleep of the sofa. He said after years of him coming in where I'd be passed out unconscious on the settee it gave him a bit of jolt. He wasn't half relieved I was just having a wee nanna nap.
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning Army..

Thats gas Molly, yes Airside around 1.30! And to add to the eeriness of the soup maker subject, ours was promptly given a name: Bob (as are most of the small appliances by small people here)..

On the subject of other halves.. Id be lying if I didnt say there was and maybe still is a loss of something at times.. we have been partying together since 1999, maybe not so obviously since the kids came along, but I could probably count my booze free night since then (excluding pregnancy). Those merry moments before I or both of us got blotto are gone - but I have probably romanticised those up in my head anyway - what follows has not been forgotten.

Definitely an acceptance now that I am not going back this time.
                  Designated driver, major plus.
                  Has to buy his own beer and do the bottle bank run (I would always do this as Id be mortified if anyone saw the volume I/we created).
                  HAs a wife that is not cranky, unresponsive, or edgy. We are definitely way better for that.
                  Last edited by IamMary; August 21, 2016, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                    Good morning,

A plus...........not waking up at 3am with heart palpatations, fear and dread and regardless of all the promises you made the night before you're going to repeat yesterday all over again. :sad:

Spot on Tony.

Took a while for me and Mr JC..............remember when he came in from work after (I was about a year/18 months AF) and was asleep of the sofa. He said after years of him coming in where I'd be passed out unconscious on the settee it gave him a bit of jolt. He wasn't half relieved I was just having a wee nanna nap.
                    God love them - we put them through a lot.
                    Even when Mr S comes in with a skinful I will not judge him - he is out there and open with it all. Shite talk & all.
                    Not the sneaky underhand way I used to go about it. YUK !!!

Young Satz drinks like I did towards the end and it scares me.
                    Even though I feel sometimes the drinking is a learned behaviour from me - and feel some guilt - I feel better when I know that my new found sober life can also be an encouragement to him.

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                      God love them - we put them through a lot.
                      Even when Mr S comes in with a skinful I will not judge him - he is out there and open with it all. Shite talk & all.
                      Not the sneaky underhand way I used to go about it. YUK !!!

Young Satz drinks like I did towards the end and it scares me.
                      Even though I feel sometimes the drinking is a learned behaviour from me - and feel some guilt - I feel better when I know that my new found sober life can also be an encouragement to him.
                      Agree on the sneaky bit Satz.. MrM has his bottle or 2 of beer, but never hides it. Even if its mid week and he decides he fancies a beer, if someone calls in, my brain is shouting at him, HIDE THE BEER.

Not easy seeing young Satz, he'll find his way, he has a good mentor :hug:

Comment

Hello Army,great conversation this morning I also loved the fashion memories of yesterday,I was just a kid in the 70's but my mom had the most awesome dresses,I wish we would have kept them, hope everyone has a lovely day
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka

No Benjy no --- not learned behaviour --- we will blame ourselves to the Nth degree if we let ourselves --- he is doing what he is choosing to do -- at the moment -- and he will choose to live another way --- as long as he doesn't take the first drink HE has that choice ---
                          When I say learned behaviour Molls I mean I believe as children we pick up stuff like a sponge even subconsciously.
                          I believe I did, as very shy and self conscious and so did young Satz, realise that alcohol makes us happier.
                          Afterall we all long to be happy & fit in.

I remember seeing my aunt being larger than life and great craic - always a Guinness on the go. ( She's 93 now and still as mad as ever)

You are right though - I had to re-learn how to live without the crutch and he will need to too.

:checkin: Pauly

Comment

Evening lovelies,

Good Satz, hate to think you were blaming yourself.

Our Mary has 400 days AF today so its a cake day.

It could be worse, I could be filing.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Congratulations Mary
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

haha.. I got lucky, hit big ZEROs on a Sunday! But thanks, I hadnt calculated in a while and couldn't believe it!

Hey Satz, does your mad Aunt still drink?

Comment

Working...
                                X