I have glaucoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have glaucoma

I've had pinkeye for about a month now and after several rounds of antibiotic drops nothing was helping. I went to the opthamologist today and found out I have the early stages of glaucoma plus maybe an eye allergy.

It explains the weird feeling I've been having in my eyes, pressure, pain, etc. Luckily it is very treatable these days but I couldn't even go back to my brand new job because they put drops in my eyes that blurred my vision so I had to take a cab home from Manhattan practically blind and crying. Luckily my boss is a very nice person.

Topamax gave me very bad eye issues, pain, redness, etc, and I have not taken it for ages but just a warning for people, if you have ANY eye probems on Topa stop taking it immediately.

Can you believe this shit. I mean seriously what the f did I do to deserve this shit.
    Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

I have glaucoma

wow..oh my gosh...do you think you should get another opinion about the glaucoma happy...maybe it is all he eye allergy....I think I might get a second diagnosis on this one...

I didn't know you had eye issues with the topa before...holy cow...looks like we have to call in the prayer warriors to nip this in the bud

Comment

I have glaucoma

No it's glaucoma- it's all about pressure in the eye. He is an excellent doc and had the more advanced technology to detect it. You know the test for it where they blow air into your eye? totally outdated. EVERYONE ask for the blue light test please.
      Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

I have glaucoma

Oh my gosh..so it is early ..so they can treat it???

Comment

I have glaucoma

Happy, I know this probably dosen't help, but my sis in law has it. Very treatable. Don't stress out. Always get a second opinion. Her son who is 9 Just had to have 2 cataract operations, per eye. He has been dealing with this for 4 years. Keep a positive attitude and I'll say my prayers for you.
          Hugs
          Mar

Comment

I have glaucoma

I have to go to bed now..my eyes are killing me "for real"..drove to meadowlands today& back 4 meeting w/ client...going to pray for you like mad...glad you have a good Dr..it will be OK I'm sure..I am on topa..thank you..

Luv~C

Comment

I have glaucoma

Happy, so sorry to hear that but I am glad it is treatable, and this is a good reminder to anyone taking topa if they have eye pain. Did you have a family history of glaucoma that might have contributed to this? I hope you start feeling better soon!!!
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I have glaucoma

Oh, Camper that sucks for sure. You just started your job and now this, even though its treatable which is so great its just on more thing on your plate. I feel for yah!! You really are being tested for some reason. I know it could always be worse but all the little things sometimes add up and add stress. If anything I can do I sure would.

Sammys

Comment

I have glaucoma

Camper,
                  That blows.... thats all I got. I hate eye issues, and I thought I had it bad cause I am practically blind...

Comment

I have glaucoma

Glad it is treatable. I am going to google now for more info.

xoxoxoxo

Comment

I have glaucoma

So sorry. Thanks for sharing tho. I took topa for a week, had wicked eye pain that I'm not sure if it started just before topa or when i began... but stopped to see if it made a diff. Do you think the topa could trouble the eyes witin just a few days of use?
                      happy - what was the eye pain like?
                      I'm glad for you that glaucoma is more treatable now.
                      Hugs,
                      imatree

Comment

I have glaucoma

OMG, Camper, oh no, this sucks big time. You are so young and beautiful, this is wrong. I have been told that I am in the beginning stages of glaucoma too. Apparently, there are special glaumcoma centers. I have not done anything about it yet, so I am very interested in what you are going to do?
                        Meow-Meow
                        MonaKitty

Comment

I have glaucoma

I hope everyone who is taking Topa (or any of these meds) reads up on the precautions and interactions beforehand. Even if under the care of a doctor, please make sure you research this stuff for yourself as well. Doctors don't always tell you everything you need to know. Here's the info from webmd on Topa. I was surprised that it decreases the effectiveness of hormone-based birth control because I've never heard anyone mention it on here. Certainly something you would want to know!

Precautions:
                          Before taking topiramate, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: eye problems (e.g., glaucoma), kidney problems, liver problems, severe lung/breathing problems, metabolism problems (e.g., metabolic acidosis, born with metabolism disease), long-term diarrhea problem, any special diet (e.g., high-protein, ketogenic).

This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy or cause blurred vision; use caution while engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving or using machinery. Avoid alcoholic beverages.

Topiramate can infrequently cause decreased sweating, which could raise your body temperature to unsafe levels (hyperthermia). The risk of this serious side effect is greater in hot weather and/or during vigorous exercise, especially in children. Drink plenty of fluids and dress lightly in hot weather or when exercising. Check carefully for signs of decreased sweating. If this occurs, immediately stop exercising and seek cooler shelter. Seek immediate medical attention if your body temperature is above normal or if you have mental/mood changes, headache, or dizziness. Consult your doctor for more details.

Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist that you are using this medication.

Monitor your weight while taking this medication, and share the results with your doctor. If you lose weight unexpectedly, discuss with your doctor. You may need to change your diet.

Caution is advised when using this drug in children because they may be more sensitive to its side effects, especially effects on bone health, growth rate, and temperature. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.

Kidney function declines as you grow older. This medication is removed by the kidneys. Therefore, elderly people may be at greater risk for side effects such as drowsiness and dizziness while using this drug.

This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.

This medication passes into breast milk and may have undesirable effects on a nursing infant. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

Interactions:
                          Your healthcare professionals (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially: amitriptyline, carbamazepine, metformin, phenytoin, pioglitazone, risperidone, valproic acid, "water pills" (diuretics such as hydrochlorothiazide, acetazolamide, dichlorphenamide), other drugs that cause decreased sweating (e.g., anticholinergics such as belladonna alkaloids/scopolamine, antihistamines such as hydroxyzine, phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine).

This medication may decrease the effectiveness of combination-type birth control (e.g., pills, patches). This can result in pregnancy. You may need to use an additional form of reliable birth control while using this medication. Report any unusual vaginal bleeding to your doctor. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for details.

Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you also take drugs that cause drowsiness such as: certain antihistamines (e.g., diphenhydramine), anti-seizure drugs (e.g., phenobarbital), medicine for sleep or anxiety (e.g., alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem), muscle relaxants, narcotic pain relievers (e.g., codeine), psychiatric medicines (e.g., haloperidol, nortriptyline, trazodone).

Check the labels on all your medicines (e.g., cough-and-cold products) because they may contain drowsiness-causing ingredients. Ask your pharmacist about the safe use of those products.

Comment

I have glaucoma

Mona you should go back to eye doc and get the medicine. They are eye drops that relieve the pressure. Do you not feel it? I feel the pain and pressure. In any case make sure you get a full exam from an opthalogist (not optometrist) and get the BLUE LIGHT test and get some drops if you need them and stay on top of it. This advice is for all. That blowing the air thing in the eye is not adequate anymore. This is just useful info for all.

Comment

I have glaucoma

:h :h Camper, you didn't do anything to deserve this and I'm so sorry this has happened. However, as others before me have said it's very treatable.

My neighbor who has never smoked in her life has only 3 years to live due to congestive lung failure. She doesn't deserve it either, hers is not treatable, unfortunately. That is why I cook their dinner most evenings.

Please check on your treatment alternatives. We are here for you.
                              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Working...
                              X