October Army 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonyniceday View Post
    Starty - It has scared me. I REALLY thought I could handle it... I think the second glass taught me the lesson - by then I knew I was going to get lashed but I couldn't stop myself.

I've proved I am addicted.
    Exactly! Once we start we cannot stop. Once we accept that we have a chance. How are you feeling?

Comment

To be honest, Starty I think the word is embarrassed. I've just proved what we all know

Comment

Tony, great to see you back do you know why you decided to drink? What was going through your mind at the time? I'm not trying to be nosy,I'm just still baffled by this crap even after all these years, to be going strong, confident, secure and then all of a sudden none of those, I'm talking about me of course, I'd never try to assume about you,I just know my confidence gets so shaken by drinking especially after I've been so positive that I'd never drink again sorry just rambling and curious, have a great day all
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

The short answer, Pauly, is I want to be normal. I don't want to have an "addiction".

Comment

The short answer, Pauly, is I want to be normal.
            What does that even mean in terms of drinking alcohol, Tony? Like most things, there's a spectrum and there's no real point at which you can draw a line. In your job, you must see examples at each point of the spectrum - from the person who has never consumed alcohol to the one who is so drunk you have to stop serving night after night. Can any of us determine at what point in our drinking days we became addicted?

We learned to use alcohol to feel better and continued to do so despite the development of very negative consequences. It is possible to learn different and better responses, and not just recover to the point on the spectrum where we weren't addicted (wherever that was!) but to grow beyond into stronger, healthier people than we were before. I love this quote by Maia Szalavitz :

Indeed, if the compulsive drive that sustains addiction is directed into healthier channels, this type of wiring can be a benefit, not just a disability. After all, persisting despite rejection didn’t only lead to addiction for me — it has also been indispensable to my survival as a writer.The ability to persevere is an asset: People with addiction just need to learn how to redirect it.

Comment

There you are, Tony.............boot up arse firmly delivered and now moving on.

The short answer, Pauly, is I want to be normal. I don't want to have an "addiction".
              I don't want an addiction either and I'm not that keen on being normal either.

Normal to me means dull..........a sort of beige life...........a routine life. My inner hippy is coming out.

I used to think giving up the drink was a huge sacrifice...........and when I did I wanted marching bands, pats on shoulders, well dones...........not saying when I got them I wasn't grateful but it dawned on me its not a sacrifice..........its a gift, a very simple thing that will make me live probably a good few years longer than I was going to. To see my kids grow up, to be there if someone needs me, to say no when I want and say yes when I want. I have choice now.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

And I want a 26 inch waist and no cellulite :hahaha: Hey, there are worse things. I bet if you made a list you would have dozens of things to be really grateful for. Also if you looked at your problems v someone elses I bet you would choose your own to deal with. Sometimes these little exercises help us put stuff in perspective a bit :hug:

Comment

You and me both, Starty. I'd need one of those whale-bone Victorian jobs and a strong armed man to fasten it to get to a 26" waste. I cured my cellulite ...............thick tights or trousers.

I like the gratitude thing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

As you know I am binge watching downton at the mo. The wimmin are all so THIN I dont know how they do it will all the stuff they get to eat and drink. A corset might be a good idea.....along with the big fella of course.

Actually, some of the girls at work wear semi corset things. They do them up all tight and you can see all the blubber at the top and bottom. Too funny really

Comment

Originally posted by starty View Post
                      As you know I am binge watching downton at the mo. The wimmin are all so THIN I dont know how they do it will all the stuff they get to eat and drink. A corset might be a good idea.....along with the big fella of course.
                      Oooh our Jenny's friend played a maid in the 2014 Christmas special of Downton and she had 2 lines.

Actually, some of the girls at work wear semi corset things. They do them up all tight and you can see all the blubber at the top and bottom. Too funny really
                      They wear them to work!! I've worn my spanx once or twice and just about cried with relief when I took them off.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                        Oooh our Jenny's friend played a maid in the 2014 Christmas special of Downton and she had 2 lines.

They wear them to work!! I've worn my spanx once or twice and just about cried with relief when I took them off.
                        Ohhh Ihavent seen that one yet. Cannot wait!

Yes, they are very vain youngsters. Get up at silly oclock to do hair and face, come to work looking like perfection with their clothes painted on.

Comment

I get up early on work days in the vain hope by the time I get to work my pillow wrinkles have gone.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

You should get a satin pillow. That helps .....a tiny bit

Comment

You should get a satin pillow. That helps .....a tiny bit
                              I'll ask Santa.

Or sitting up all night.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

You always seem happy in your posts Tony,that answer kinda surprised me a bit,on the spanx,corsets,etc I bought these slenderizng tank tops when summer started and talk about a torture device! Had to go into the bathroom at work and peel it off,most painful day of my life!
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X