Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking in after a long time

Hello lovely folksies!

I have been away and busy with life and whatnot and figured it was time to stick my big honker in here for a minute to catch you up.
    My 3 year sober date is approaching in less than 2 weeks. Can't say it's been all rainbows 'n butterflies... life has a way to keep me off balance.

Earlier this year, in April, I split up from my partner of 8 years. To be honest, getting sober had something to do with it. Not all of it, but it played a part. I don't think I can or want to be with a daily drinker anymore. I'm in the process of buying my next home, a lovely little place for me and the fur kids. Speaking of kids... I'm up to 4 grand peanuts now. Uggh. All but the youngest are happy and healthy and positively adorable. The youngest suffered a stroke in utero and will be severely handicapped for the rest of her life.

My troublesome offspring (mostly my son) is doing remarkable well. He moved to Southern Ontario, reconnected with his father after 17 years, has custody of his 5 year old son, works, rents a lovely house, and stays away from booze and drugs (for the most part). Have not had a 'bail me outta jail, please' call in over 2 years. Phew. My daughter is still very much struggling with depression and other health issues.. no real change there.

All in all, life is GOOD. There will always be hills and valleys... but, getting through it sober sure beats the alternative. The last couple of months have been especially tumultuous and unsettling and, there were thoughts of 'Wouldn't it be nice to just check out for a day?'. Of course, I realise, that the checking out wouldn't be just a day. It would be days, weeks, months, perhaps years. No, thank you. This, too, shall pass.

I hope you (my old friends here) and newcomers alike are well and/or well on your way to sobriety. Let me know how life is treating you these days, when you get a minute!

Love and light,
    GG, aka Sunny-G
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Hi Sunshine!! OMG 4 grandpeanuts now?!?! I remember when the first 2 came, congratulations,I was looking for your old thread a few months ago, I'm on my phone so it a a pain, congratulations on your 3 years, wonderful to hear from you
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Sunny!! So happy for your all your years of sobriety and your courage in breaking off a relationship that was not healthy for you! We miss you here and I am delighted that you popped in to say "HELLOOO!!'"

Love ya, honey!

Comment

Hiya GG! Wow, gr8 post and really good to hear from you. Yep, there will always be hills and valleys. Since you ask, all good here, 61 days sober and every intention to continue with sober living. My life and persona is growing at a great rate of knots. Why? Well, because like you and all of us here, i am talented and creative with lots to offer myself and the world. And moving forward for me and allowing myself to shine is a direct result of turfing the booze out of my life.

Safe travels my friend!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Sunny! So great to hear from you. I am at 2.5 years now, and following you was a good part of how I made it through those first 6 months.

Congratulations on your grandkids, and I am glad your son is better. Yes, hills and valleys, but so much easier to navigate without the booze.

Thanks for checking in and letting us know all is well.

xo
          Pav

Comment

Sunny - so wonderful to see you here. Great big congratulations on 3 years.
            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Sunny! Great to see you. Sorry to hear of your downs but you are still doing great with the things that dont serve you which is a joy to hear.

Comment

sunny...glad you are doing good well done on the 3 years,sounds like you have cracked and aint foolish enuff to fall for the just once stunt..wish you all the very best
                af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Great to hear from you Sunshine, and congrats on three years! Life keeps on happening and is so much better to deal with AF.

Comment

Thanks for the update guys.. and.. Nora!!! I'm so bloody proud of you!!!

Comment

Hi GG, it's great to see you and congrats on the sobriety. I'll bet your new house is darling. Who got the horses? Love to you and the grands.
                      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Great that you checked in, and you are successfully navigating your new life.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

How wonderful to see your post Sunny. You've had some challenges he's but you are so strong now. Please check in more often. I've missed you
                          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Just seeing this thread -

CONGRATS on your 3 years AF Sunni!!!
                            How is it that I see you on FB almost daily but had no idea you were going thru so many changes. Wishing you the very best as always :hug:
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Omigosh, horses come with me, of course!!! :egad: LOL
                              Right now, everything is up in the air... the sale of my mom and dad's property in Nova Scotia fell through (and I need that in order to buy my new place)... fingers, eyes, toes crossed that everything will work out as it should. I have got my marching orders for December 1st and I'm kinda hoping I won't have to move to a cardboard box. Wrong time of year for that But, clearly, I need a lesson or fifteen in patience and acceptance.. so, I will trust that the universe will lend me a hand.

It's lovely to see all you familiar faces (names)... be well, peeps. And to anyone who is struggling right now... Hell, if I can do it, so can you!

Comment

Working...
                              X