Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoraC View Post
    Hi Satz - sounds like a yucky play.
    It is indeed 'Medea'. Fascinating when they review and dig deep into what drives a parent to kill their children.
    We've had quite a few in recent times in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by starty View Post
      Hi stills I never have any time either
      Are you sitting in the dark Starts
      Maybe not this book then :

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
        And I find with the Greeks and other European countries having it everywhere - you just don't pass any need to it.
        Whereas as you say the BIG DEAL of it being banned and not permitted etc. - in Ireland anyway - just makes it more appealing and we seem to have more of an issue with it..
        I think there was a pretty big issue with it in Canada as well and that there continues to be one. At least there was in Ontario. I know that being raised in a Protestant household, no AL was allowed at all, it was against our religion. In fact, in church, when we took communion, there was grape juice in our little glasses, not even wine. The first bottle of AL in my parent's house was a bottle of bubbly wine I brought for Thanksgiving when I was about 19 years old. My father was furious that I had dared to bring AL into his house. I calmly told him that it had very little alcohol content and that if he insisted that I take it out of the house, that I would leave along with the bottle. He finally calmed down and agreed to have a small glass to toast with the rest of us. He loved it, as did my Mom and from then on, they always had a bottle for special occasions. Then they moved on to real rum in the eggnog at Christmas instead of rum flavouring and brought bottles of Irish whiskey back with them from Ireland to make Irish coffee with. My Mom overdid it on the night they got home from their trip and literally had to crawl up the stairs to bed. I think that was one of the few times that she ever overdid it. My Dad did enjoy a beer with his lunch in his later years but he never did turn into a drinker. His siblings were alcoholics/drinkers, tho' as were relatives of mine on my Mother's side. I'm a firm believer that we inherit the tendency to become alcoholics but I think that time and place and life circumstances play a big role as well. Anyway, what I started out to say is that I agree with you that in countries where AL is prohibited or purchases limited, that there is a problem. In Europe, a glass of wine is standard with the main meal of the day whether it be mid-day or evening, so it's not a big deal. And lots of kids are sipping a small glass with their meals from in their middle or late teens. It's not a big deal and not something you have to wait years to be able to consume, or wait til your 18th or 19th birthday to "celebrate". That's not to say that there are not kids that drink a lot here but there is just not such a big deal made out of it. Mind you, there are booze holidays arranged online and we have hordes of kids come over from other European countries - England, I'm sad to say is one of the main countries - and the kids spend their holidays drinking. This is fueled of course by so-called business men who want to sell their cheap (and sometimes poisonous) booze to the kids to make themselves money. Makes me sick to read about it but, as in all places, there is always someone out to take advantage of others to make a dollar. Or a euro. Gotta get sewing. Catch up with youz later....
        Last edited by stirly-girly; November 10, 2016, 12:41 PM.
        For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
        AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

It's spooky enough out here anyway satz :happy2:

Great post stirly the English are savage with booze

Comment

Evening,
            Wasn't baking was working, Marioooooooooo. If you call sitting round drinking coffee having some great craic with the clients at the breakfast club.

And look, taking a leaf outta Starty's book and booked this place for a break early March next year

Seal Parrock (ref
            842) in
            Chapel-le-Dale, near Ingleton |
            cottages.com
            It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Found this .............mind you its from 2010 so prolly way out of date and it doesn't mean because we're 11th lowest we're better than anyone as its not about addiction.

Hang on a mo.............did I see Satzuma there :hug:
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Yep t'was me Jacks - had to SEARCH for the Army Thread ............ :egad:

Love the cottage ..:heart:

I presume I'll look after hiring the bus for The Army to get there ?

Comment

Evening folks, later check in before bed.

Originally posted by stirly-girly View Post
                  I'm a firm believer that we inherit the tendency to become alcoholics but I think that time and place and life circumstances play a big role as well.
                  I rotally agree, family histories don't lie.
                  Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Evening all, love to stay and chat, too tired. Nature or nurture? so many anomalies..

cant keep my eyes open
                    2062ce050e37358084350b46945cf3df.jpg
                    AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

mornin all how are yiz?all good I hope..Jacs ta muchly ....and fanx to everyone else ...things are kinda moving along..is that cottage by the falls J?used to have some grand fun there....
                      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Morning troopers,
                        Off this morning doing a bit of the Chrimbo shopping then going to observe the two minutes silence at the monument in town.

Your more than welcome, Mickster. No idea if its near the fall.............I'll keep an eye out.

Last time we were there.............Mr JC decided to brave the local pub to watch a Newcastle match............when he got there they had True Grit on the TV and he didn't dare ask them to turn it over...........so sat and nursed a pint for an hour before he came back.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

And just heard RIP Leonard Cohen..........

YouTube
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good mornings Army

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

It's a cold morning here as expected, Going out again to see city again today, I really enjoying myself here, I more aware of myself and surroundings , It's quite refreshing to take in what we have for free around us and embrace it.

Comment

Ok I am of out folks, I need a iPhone or android as my small phone is to well to small, catch you all laters gators. Have a good day :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X