• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm packing............
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good morning Army!!

Wishing you all a happy Thursday. Hopefully be back for a wee chat later. Busy day. Take care, all!!
      For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Good morning

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi stirly, you have a good day to,

I walked around Dublin city yesterday and it was great, I actually went to a CA meeting there , First time ever I went to one in Ireland, it's great to see people everywhere fighting and winning against this addiction.
          Last edited by mario; November 10, 2016, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I going out for breakfast soon, ye all have a nice good positive day and I hope anyone lurking drops in and says hello,

How the holidays going starts ?
            And you one2many what's the craic,

I presume Jc is baking somewhere .... Laters gators

Comment

morning all!

Just had a power cut that went most of the night so have spent a really cold night huddling up with the doggers trying to keep warm. How dependent we are on electricity for everything. No heat, light internet or hot water. I must admit I did have some pangs of longing for the whiskey that is in the kitchen. Feeling better now I have had a cuppa and some fruit cake
              Been downloading and reading books about drug addiction which has been great to keep me focused and lots of rest
              Must dig out th book thread for more recommendations

Comment

WTF is going on here.
                I come back and have to SEARCH for the Army thread - :egad:

Hi Starts & Mario - thanks for keeping things on the go here ............ :hug:

Starts move away from that whiskey bottle ......

Spent the last week studying a shaggin greek play. This one was written in 400 BC & I swear the male lead ( sorry men) is a total bastard :fist:
                She does everything for him. But he drives the woman demented after he just takes a new wife...... and actually tries to defend his actions. She kills her own kids in revenge.
                Nuff said...:miserable:

Comment

Hi Satz - sounds like a yucky play.
                  "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hiya Satzy. Would that male lead be Jason of the Golden Fleece fame by any chance? Yes, Medea killed her children to avenge being abandonded by her husband. Don't forget it's a play based on mythology. Anyway, have you learned any ancient Greek? Enough to say "hello!", "goodbye" and "leave me alone"?

Quiet day in Stirly-World today. Just got home a while ago and am about to crack out the sewing machine again and get going on sewing baby blankets. Never seem to have enough time to do the things I need to do. BTW. How is young Satz and where is he anyway? If you want to share, that is. I remember him being in New Zealand, I think it was, some time ago. Probably a few years have passed since then. Hope all is will with yer younguns.

Comment

Evening Nora and satz
                      Play sounds fun
                      How you doing Nora ?

Yep stepped away . It's funny but at home I have 0 craving but on hols I get them. Really strange. Think I have put on a stone or so this last week dealing with them osteroops:

Comment

Hi stills I never have any time either

Comment

Hi Nora! Didn't see you there? How are you today? A bit calmer, a bit less stressed I hope. No matter what the results of the elections were, there's not much anyone can do about it at this point. Just hope that the new President does a good job of holding the country and the world together. As someone posted on FB - hoping that he fails is like hoping the pilot crashes the plane that we're all on. Just wishing the best for all the people of the US and that any actions by your new government will have positive results both in your country and in the rest of the world. Sending you a big hug!!

Comment

Originally posted by stirly-girly View Post
                            Hiya Satzy. Would that male lead be Jason of the Golden Fleece fame by any chance? Yes, Medea killed her children to avenge being abandonded by her husband. Don't forget it's a play based on mythology. Anyway, have you learned any ancient Greek? Enough to say "hello!", "goodbye" and "leave me alone"?

Quiet day in Stirly-World today. Just got home a while ago and am about to crack out the sewing machine again and get going on sewing baby blankets. Never seem to have enough time to do the things I need to do. BTW. How is young Satz and where is he anyway? If you want to share, that is. I remember him being in New Zealand, I think it was, some time ago. Probably a few years have passed since then. Hope all is will with yer younguns.
                            Stirls
                            He spent time in Australia and then returned with an horrendous drinking problem.
                            Past 2 years spent trying to get sober ....... rehab, AA etc

Things are looking good now and I console myself every day that he is more often sober now than drinking.
                            This time last year he drove drunk and was very close to a lot of trouble when stopped by the police.
                            He arrived home and didn't know where the car was ........
                            It was at the local police station ..... we never found out how / why they let him off. He remembers nothing ......

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                              Stirls
                              He spent time in Australia and then returned with an horrendous drinking problem.
                              Past 2 years spent trying to get sober ....... rehab, AA etc

Things are looking good now and I console myself every day that he is more often sober now than drinking.
                              This time last year he drove drunk and was very close to a lot of trouble when stopped by the police.
                              He arrived home and didn't know where the car was ........
                              It was at the local police station ..... we never found out how / why they let him off. He remembers nothing ......
                              That must have been very hard on you, going through that. I'm glad he has lightened up on the AL front. The problem with young people is that it is just taken for granted that they will drink whenever they go out with friends or have friends over. A few weeks ago, my SIL's son turned 19 - legal drinking age in Canada - some fool posted him birthday wishes on FB saying that she hoped he got "slam hammered" to celebrate. H posted a picture of his first "legal drink". Jesus, we just glorify drinking so much - make such a big deal out of it. We drank during my younger days as well, but it just wasn't everywhere - so much in our faces as it is now. Mind you, they can't advertise booze on the TV over here anymore so at least that helps but AL is sold in the supermarkets and just about everywhere for that matter and when I say AL, I mean beer, wine and liquor. At least in Ontario, you have to go to the liquor store to buy it. Here, it's just everywhere. Even the little kiosks where they sell cigarettes, soft drinks, chips, etc., have small bottles of ouzo in the fridge along with bottles and cans of beer. Jeez...

Starty - better a couple of extra pounds from food than from AL. You know that the knee-jerk reaction to being on holidays and wanting to kick back with a drink will pass with time. I never, ever crave AL. Ever. And there is a full, un-opened bottle of whiskey on the counter in the kitchen at work. I work alone. I could crack it open at any time and spend all day sipping a drink but there is simply no desire to do so. It's just something else sitting on the counter along with the sugar, coffee and water glasses. I don't even notice it most of the time and when I do, I have absolutelyl no reaction to it. It's simply another object on the counter.

Comment

Originally posted by stirly-girly View Post
                                That must have been very hard on you, going through that. I'm glad he has lightened up on the AL front. The problem with young people is that it is just taken for granted that they will drink whenever they go out with friends or have friends over. A few weeks ago, my SIL's son turned 19 - legal drinking age in Canada - some fool posted him birthday wishes on FB saying that she hoped he got "slam hammered" to celebrate. H posted a picture of his first "legal drink". Jesus, we just glorify drinking so much - make such a big deal out of it. We drank during my younger days as well, but it just wasn't everywhere - so much in our faces as it is now. Mind you, they can't advertise booze on the TV over here anymore so at least that helps but AL is sold in the supermarkets and just about everywhere for that matter and when I say AL, I mean beer, wine and liquor. At least in Ontario, you have to go to the liquor store to buy it. Here, it's just everywhere. Even the little kiosks where they sell cigarettes, soft drinks, chips, etc., have small bottles of ouzo in the fridge along with bottles and cans of beer. Jeez...

Starty - better a couple of extra pounds from food than from AL. You know that the knee-jerk reaction to being on holidays and wanting to kick back with a drink will pass with time. I never, ever crave AL. Ever. And there is a full, un-opened bottle of whiskey on the counter in the kitchen at work. I work alone. I could crack it open at any time and spend all day sipping a drink but there is simply no desire to do so. It's just something else sitting on the counter along with the sugar, coffee and water glasses. I don't even notice it most of the time and when I do, I have absolutelyl no reaction to it. It's simply another object on the counter.
                                And I find with the Greeks and other European countries having it everywhere - you just don't pass any need to it.
                                Whereas as you say the BIG DEAL of it being banned and not permitted etc. - in Ireland anyway - just makes it more appealing and we seem to have more of an issue with it..

Comment

Working...
                                X