Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super crazy way I think about drinking now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super crazy way I think about drinking now...

Ok, so I know I'm only 5 days sober but I have come up with some pretty STRANGE things in these last 5 days to help me along in my AF journey - thought I'd share this one in case anyone else is as twisted as me and can actually relate or use this. HA!

I am fairly new to meditation (and HIGHLY recommend it, even if you can't quiet your mind for more than two seconds, it's amazing what it can do for your mind, heart and soul!). Anyway, during my meditation this morning, I was doing my normal routine when I was "releasing" the bad stuff on my exhale breath in which I'm releasing OUT stress, insecurity, addiction, anger, etc, etc. and on the in breaths I breath IN pure, white, fresh air, filled with the GOOD things I want in my life and in my body (happiness, strength, patience, peace, etc). Once i did that and went into my "quiet time" I was concentrating on being AF and I envisioned the inside of my body and the damage that alcohol has done to all of my organs so I started meditating about each organ individually and almost gave them a "life" of their own. Thought about my stomach and how much damage alcohol has probably done to it. Thought about my poor liver and how HARD it must have to work while I'm passed out drunk to process the poison through it. Same for the kidneys, my skin, heart, intestines, and so on and so on, throughout my body. Then I meditated about my brain...the fantastic machine that runs the whole show and "decides" the fate of every other organ in my body. I envisioned my addictive brain, not giving a CRAP about all of the other organs because it wants that high! It LOVES the feeling, and it's in control, in spite of the damage that it's doing to itself...and every other organ in my amazing body. So! I have decided that if (and probably more like "when"...) my brain says "oh hell, we've been doing so good, we can handle just ONE glass of wine"...I am going to mentally give ALL of my organs the chance to vote. Majority wins, NO exceptions (after all, I am completely democratic - my brain isn't queen of my entire body... :love hee hee! So, when my brain tries to tempt me I am going to mentally go through my body: liver, you cool with a cocktail? how about you, kidneys? Oh, and my precious beating heart - how do YOU feel about that glass of wine? And skin - what's your vote? Stomach? pancreas? And even you, addictive little brain, think about it...do you REALLY want to be the ONLY one here voting against everyone else?

I know I sound like a complete freak but I'm sick and tired of my brain RUINING it for all of the other organs in my body!!! It's their turn to be in charge... :welldone:

You don't sound crazy at all, SoCali, and in fact there is a great deal of research supporting what you are doing.

Any of Norman Doidge's books will explain the science (e.g. The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity (James H. Silberman Book): 978143128373: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com).

I found this book really helpful, as well: How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body: David R. Hamilton: 978141921484: Amazon.com: Books

Comment

Thanks NoShoog...I just read the first pages of both of the books you referenced and ordered the second one - AWESOME information and thank you for referring me to them! I'm bound and determined to beat this, and even though I'm only on day 5 (and realize there are likely going to be many days where I want to give up and give in) I just know I can't. I've tried too many times to do the "quit for X number of days, then moderate" and it never works. When I gave up drinking for 60 days last January and February, with the intention of "moderating" come March, I didn't drink for probably the first week or so of March because I was sort of worried about jumping RIGHT back in to my old habits. Well, the first night, I did really well - had two small glasses of wine and that was it. YAY ME! I'M CURED - I CAN DO THIS MODERATING THING!!! I think that lasted about 2 or 3 more days before I was RIGHT back to where I was before. Some people can moderate, I can't. I know it, I simply can't. So, that's no longer going to be a "plan" or a "goal". It actually feels like moderating is MUCH more difficult that abstaining, at least for me anyway. Were I to attempt the mod thing again, I know it would just be a mental TUG OF WAR and I'm tired of being at war with myself. Anyway, thanks again for the book references - can't wait to get the Hamilton one! I love Amazon...

Have a wonderful weekend - glad at least ONE person here doesn't think I'm a complete whack-a-doodle. HA!

Comment

Nobody thinks you're a whack-a doodle Socali haha,MWO is kinda quiet on the weekend for some reason, congrats on 5 days,you sound really good
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Guess what SoCali, who cares what people think of you, a sober whack-a-doodle is by far the best whack-a-doodle! And you are the best! Keep moving those thoughts in the right direction and your journey will get easier. I know, it works for me so I must be a whack-a-doodle as well!
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Your determination will enable you to win this battle. You sound positive and energized to me, not crazy.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

SoCali, I like your enthusiasm! Day one for me, but I am inspired by you and would love to hear more about your journey. You rock!

Comment

Working...
              X