What to tell 7 year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to tell 7 year old?

Hi, i am 61 days sober today and attending a lot of AA meetings, I have been making up excuses to tell my son where i have been going, coffee with friends, supermarket shopping etc... but last night he asked my DH why I was going out so much and my DH thinks I should be honest and tell him, thing is I don't really want all the mums at school to know in case they think I am an unfit mother (plus its none of their business!) so I don't know what to do? wondering whether just to tell him I am going to meetings to talk about not drinking with other people who have quit and leave it at that, or whether to carry on as I am? thoughts please?
    One day at a time - this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering...

In my humble opinion absolutely no need to tell him...........he's just too young. He probably still believes in the tooth fairy, Santa and the Easter Bunny. He's 7 and I'll bet he's doing his SATs. He doesn't need the stress. Tell him its a women's group where you talk about women stuff...........he'll soon stop asking questions.

He's just curious as he's gone from a Mum that smelled and talked a bit funny to having a Mum that is now active, out and about and has time to be with him. I'll bet you're shouting less at him and laughing more with him.

Now then I have a wee suggestion...........have you talked to your doctor. I'm thinking some talking therapies here and you'll be able to get a referral from him.

Oh and another thing, see if there's an open AA meeting and take your husband to it.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

In my opinion 7 is pretty young, and there is no rush to tell him. Eventually you may decide it is the right time to tell him but it doesn't have to be right away. Remember that AA stands for Alcoholics Anonymous so if you choose to be anonymous that is your choice

Comment

He's too little to tell him I think. My sweet Madonna! Mine is 8. It's a new routine that he will quickly adjust to. My son doesn't ask anymore, (61 days here today) and he just says "have fun mom!" I think he thinks it's like a book club or something. It sort of is, the Big Book! Haha
        Day 1 again 11/5/19
        Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
        Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
        Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
        11/27/19: messed up but back on track
        12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks all, ladies group is a great idea, he thinks all 'girls' except his immediate family are horrid so he deffo wouldn't want to come LMAO!!!! I will tell hubby that is what I am saying and then there will be no slip ups

You know I just love this site, I ask and I always get wonderful advice
          One day at a time - this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering...

Comment

If he pushes on what you talk about - tell him it's weighwatchers !
            Acceptable to the school mums to be fat Maddy - alcohol addict :shakingno:
            - fat yes :egad:

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
              If he pushes on what you talk about - tell him it's weighwatchers !
              Acceptable to the school mums to be fat Maddy - alcohol addict :shakingno:
              - fat yes :egad:
              funny that isn't it, how food addiction is ok but not alcohol!! ha ha!

Comment

Working...
              X