End opioid addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End opioid addiction

MYO doesn't usually deal with drug addiction, but I found it interesting that most of the drug treatment programs only use 12-step programs. This approach isn't as effective as using meds.

We do not use an evidence-backed method for treating heroin addiction.
    Last edited by Sunbeam; January 10, 2017, 09:32 AM.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Interesting article Sunbeam,thanks for sharing
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks Sunbeam. I didn't know this about the USA. In Australia, methadone is widely used and easily available as part of a heroin addicts recovery/maintenance program. It is of course still an opioid and addictive, so there is always some associated concern around the length of maintenance use and dependance. Methadone has saved many lives no doubt, but some folk still struggle with their old familiar crutch and will use heroin on top of their regular methadone dose. I think a lot of the abstinence argument is based on this. i.e. that person is still using a mind altering substance and hooked on a drug, albeit with a lower effect. A bit tricky, but i think both roads have merit and both roads can be a lifesaver. Depends where someone's at and what they want. For me, i much prefer the abstinence route, as i believe we have all the survival tools we need within us already. Main man would be the mind. We need to train it to serve us, not the other way around. Medically supervised injecting rooms like we have in Sydney, Vancouver Canada, and some cities in Europe, are a real valid harm minimisation approach to drastically reducing fatal heroin overdose, as they do.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Interesting article. Where I live there is a huge opiate problem. A lot of recovering addicts I met in AA do use suboxone, this medication has probably saved many lives.

Comment

Interesting article indeed. Yes there are many schools of thought about this. I have an opiate addiction and if I was given a maintenance dose I know for sure that I would need to top up with something. But that is just me and I know that abstinence works for my particular set of circumstances. Damage limitation by giving a drug that is the lesser of two evils? Sure for some that is a necessity. I guess it depends on the route cause of the issue and the addicts mindset/circumstances and also whether there is additional support too. Like everything there is so many ways to obtain a result and thankfully so.

Comment

Working...
          X