What I learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I learned

So I broke my streak and drank last night. But you know what?! I was sober for a whole week straight! Haven't done that in a while and it felt really good both physically and mentally. What I learned is that I CAN DO IT!!! I made a choice to drink last night...an actual CHOICE...it was a conscious choice, not a feeling that I was compelled to do so. I am not saying I made the correct choice and I am not saying I want anyone to tell me this is ok. Why did I make this choice? Because I was lonely and started the day crying yesterday morning frustrated at my job. So these are some of my triggers...now to figure out what to do about it...that will be the hard part.

One week is great, you learned that you can stay sober and hopefully gained some tools/skills that you can add to your sobriety toolbox. (The sobriety toolbox is something I learned in treatment). Next time you decide you want to stay sober, you can use some of these tools, and hopefully add more as you go along.

Comment

Well I don't know if I learned anything for the toolbox other than if I don't start, I stay sober. What I need to figure out is what to do when I get so overwhelmed that I chose to drink. This is how I have always dealt with life's problems, victories, sadnesses, happinesses, boredom...etc., etc. When you all were in the beginning of your journey, what did you find most helpful to not make the choice to drink? Especially to get rid of frustration? I think I drink so I can stop thinking about whatever is frustrating me, in a situation like yesterday.

Comment

Dove when i stopped drinking i know i needed to put in 150% plus of an effort not to drink. I posted on MWO like a lunatic if i felt like a drink, i watched youtube videos on al and movies that were based on drinking. I took drinking off the table completely and found anything to keep me busy even if it was just a game off facebook. I felt every bit of stress, boredom, happiness etc and my al brain tried to entice me to drink but if i gave in then backwards i went. At the end of the day we dont need an excuse to drink but it helps us not feel so bad to have an excuse. Al will take and take and take what we have off us and then take some more, if we drink we feed that al part of our brain and the al thinking gets worse with "i am not so bad, i stopped for a week, i can stop when i want now" but each time we start then stop the harder it is. Basically if we drink it is a case of the "f*ck its" and i can remember the amount of times i thought that, way too many but working through the why you want to drink and what other options you can put in to place is important. Go for a walk, call someone, clean the house, read a book, have a bath/shower. Anything to not drink. I took not drinking minute by minute some days but i was the only person who could keep me sober, i could ask for advice but no one could stop me from having a glass except for me. I am so grateful for the people on MWO that have helped me along the way.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I wrote in a journal like a crazy person--what was I feeling, why did I want to drink, what I was grateful for, goals (some financial because of the $$ I was saving not drinking). I changed my habits so that when I dropped my son at his dad's I didn't drive by the liquor store. I mentally celebrated my healthy choices.

Comment

Honestly, I ate ice cream. And went on long walks. Anything to distract myself.

Comment

I also took away the choice. If given a choice, any alkie will take the booze. Take the choice off the table.
              I could have the life I wanted, or I could drink. B
              Last edited by Byrdlady; January 13, 2017, 01:00 PM.
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
              X