Do you have a sobriety toolbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a sobriety toolbox?

So Southshoregirl mentioned a sobriety toolbox in the thread I posted earlier. This is a very interesting topic to me and I am wondering if those of you here who also have this can share what all is in yours? I know we are all different and in trying to navigate getting sober, I definitely need to figure something like this out. Hearing what you all have in yours may give me ideas of what I need to do to make one of my own. Thank you in advance! Dove

Hi,
    there is a tool box sticky thread at the top of the monthly abstinence forum, lots of great individuals ways of what helped people get there way out, great read & powerful posts.

I myself used everything & anyway to get out of the horror of my life as it then was, AA , CA online forums, one to one & group counciling & also kept close to who were successful, and listened and did why they said.
    I now go to CA meetings and find them a great help & service to me.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Originally posted by doveagain View Post
      So Southshoregirl mentioned a sobriety toolbox in the thread I posted earlier. This is a very interesting topic to me and I am wondering if those of you here who also have this can share what all is in yours? I know we are all different and in trying to navigate getting sober, I definitely need to figure something like this out. Hearing what you all have in yours may give me ideas of what I need to do to make one of my own. Thank you in advance! Dove
      Here it is Dove.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Mine is:
        -AA meetings
        -AA sponsor
        -Reading/posting on MWO
        -Church
        -Exercise

Comment

The reference in my tag line is my best resource. It is a list of tasks one can undertake to maintain sobriety. I used this list to inspire my own list. I used to look at it whenever I had a drinking thought. Now, I haven't looked at it in many months or a few years.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Mine contains/contained Naltrexone which removed the craving for alcohol, and got me to a point where I could decide to not drink again. When I do have drinking thoughts, which are rare I remember how bad things were when I drank alcoholically, how horrific it was and how it's a lot easier not to.

I've suffered with the recurrence of eating disorders in my sobriety, and the tools I have to help with that are very similar to those I used with alcohol at various times;

Always make sure I'm warm, fed, get enough sleep
            Work on not rushing to do things asap, put some on hold and chill
            Exercise is a great motivator for me and I've taken on a competitive sport, I always train no matter what which makes a great difference to my mood, and how my body feels(relaxed afterwards)
            Try to focus on things I CAN DO, and CAN CHANGE, do not sweat the things I cannot influence or control
            Arrive late to events where people are drinking, leave early making sure I'm warm, fed, not over tired throughout
            Good clean diet avoiding simple sugars wherever possible
            Try to remember how much I've achieved and how much my life has changed (I forget this a lot!)

That's about it.
            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Working...
            X