Express your Gratitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Express your Gratitude

Today, this morning at 8:03, I'm grateful for the promise of a new day.. I love mornings and all they have to offer. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Comment

I am grateful for me today. Because without me - I wouldn't have been able to get sober.
      So I will learn to be more gentle and kind to myself...give myself lots of love, spoil myself and talk positively.

Comment

OMG finally a cool day. 17C currently ~10am and hits a max of like 21C projected. What a break for my body and my power bills. We have had days hit 34C for weeks so this is a crazy break. The thunder storms took it all down.
        "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm grateful we're donating and delivering a bed to someone in need today. Taking some building supplies to Habitat for Humanity. It feels good to be able to help others a little bit and not fill more things in the landfill.

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] Awesome you sold your boat to a couple who will thouroughly enjoy! :smile:. Your herb garden sounds fantastic!... Mine is smaller. Hope to add to it. Thanks for the movie tip. I'll check it out.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday. Congratulations again to Bri!... Enjoy enjoy your special milestone!!!... :congrats: :flowerspop:

Comment

Congratulations - On 30 days of Sobriety LC!!!..:congrats: :applause: :flowerspop:

I'm sincerely grateful to read and celebrate LC's 30 days of sobriety!!!!! Awesome :smile:

Comment

Thankful i have a 20,000mwah power bank. (we used to hunt pokemon, so I have tons of usb power at high rates 2.1amps x 2 to usb) My mouse battery is dying and I really need to buy a new kit, because it is screwing with my typing. This mouse was amazing as it works on glass (dark field lazer). Was crazy for its time, darkfield is only 5 years old and a crazy invention, the dpi it nuts. My desk is like 30 x70 inch. Its an actual kitchen table to hold my monitors. which was strange back in the day. Remember when we use to have monitors directly in our faces... well this config is different and common now. This keyboard is a little weird because the wireless goes through the glass and I've had to move my PC. Now if you picture my situation I own nice stuff. Water cooled crazy shit. There is really 15 keyboards and mice in storage and 35 computers. Now all mine is custom, has been for 20 years. All my desktops are custom build it crazy cases. My father collected a lot while I was not living with him. Still thankful I get and have the skill to build custom. Thankful AMD Ryzen Threadripper is going to drop the market price of desktop PC's. Lots of crazy stuff going on right now in the desktop market, if you know. Now this is just a hobby and my profession is way different (in a way, still tech), but its nice to see competition changing pricing and what is available so it pushes faster.

What are your hobbies?
              Last edited by empyr3al; August 5, 2017, 02:30 PM.
              "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Grateful for my health. Such a wonderful thing and so easily taken for granted.

Empyr3al, my hobbies: cooking, crocheting, hiking, gardening, reading. Not a very exciting list, I'm afraid! :happy2:
                Last edited by dill; August 5, 2017, 10:05 PM.
                Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

I'm copying you, Dill!
                  I'm grateful for my health today. That my body didn't buckle and give up on me..

Comment

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], whatever keeps you sober and calm. Out of your list crocheting is about the only one I don't do. Actually I have done it because my mother taught me. It does teach patterns and visual and hand coordination. I'm male so its kind of weird to know it and how to sew. Reading is done all on my computer so I get pissed off at other peoples computers and how they work. Its hard to deal with older stuff when you have custom tech. It is mostly science and research documents that I read. I have a large phone, Note 5, so if eyesight becomes an issue its like 5.5 or 5.7" display so its for when I am in bed and reading the news like CBC, BBC, politics, etc. I can luckily still see after staring at bright monitors for decades. Its how I read. I do own books, actually an insane amount of them, hundreds to be honest, but they were mostly for teaching my step daughter or from my childhood so they are large and have lots of images. I used to read childrens novels to her also. She witnessed a turkey vulture walking down the street (like 3 feet tall), so I have a book on birds of prey for example. Take my dog, I don't freaking think so! I think I mentioned I have encyclopedias of food ingredients and their purpose, two of which are insanely comprehensive involving every ingredient and plant and animal from around the world. I've obviously read the big book and a couple versions of the bible. Have yet to read the koran out of shear curiosity and understanding of others. I think the craziest things I have read are a thesaurus front to back and the dictionary front to back. Believe me that is not an easy task to undertake, I did so when I was about 12, so at a very specific time when memory is developing. Spelling becomes an art. I read the 3 Lord of the Rings books in grade 4; that was not normal. Actually confused a ton of people after reading these because the number of words you know blows peoples minds and your IQ shoots through the roof, so dating was hard in high school. Not a show off, but very misunderstood; thats where addiction came from. So not reading fiction per say, I'd rather learn. Though I have read about 1000 fiction books in the last 40 years, mostly when I was younger for competitions before tablet phones and computers and we had those phones with cords and dials and no voice mail. *Chuckle*, what the young ppl don't know about. Have had hundreds of childrens records and our own player, 8 track in the car and downstairs. Funny stuff to kids now.

I am skilled with mechanical stuff, plants and shrubs and some weird stuff because of jobs that I have done. Seriously there is like 600$ in annuals in the front yard at the moment. But custom building computers is probably my favorite thing to do.

Anyone else with some interesting hobbies? Grateful I have awesome tech and tons of plants, 2 dogs ... lots to be grateful for. Amazing food and the tech to cook it with. Abilities most can't learn in the length of time that I can. Not bragging. I got the best education when I was young. Thankful, or grateful I'm not dead from addiction.
                    Last edited by empyr3al; August 6, 2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Gardening is my big activity. I'm grateful I can still dig, but it gets harder many years. I keep a list on my computer of all my plants, alphabetical by botanical name, with common name in parentheses. I just planted a new hardy hibiscus this week, gorgeous huge flowers with lovely foliage in the newer varieties. I also write a gardening column for my local newspaper.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

[MENTION=5017]Sunbeam[/MENTION], when we sold the house there were a number of incredible trees/bushes we planted. I remember standing beside the hibiscus with my wife (ex) during our divorce and saying I wish we could this with us (she agreed, but we could not). We did some crazy gardening, absolutely beautiful. The clematis we grew would blow your mind and we were constantly complimented and had one of the most beautiful houses on the street. Blessed that my father works at a greenhouse and we got tons of stuff like hanging baskets. When I first moved in with her the lawn was like 7" tall because, well if you aren't mechanical you cannot fix a lawn mower. She bent the blade hitting a rock or something. The evolution of what we did is crazy over 5 years. If she took the time to look back at the amount of work I did, she'd be stunned. Doors, windows, kitchen, decking. But during divorce you don't want to see the beauty of the accomplishments you both made. I have photo's that have recorded the entire experience. Before / After types of things. At one point we had a crazy tomato and herb garden with (because I plumb) automated watering systems, drip lines, bleed lines, sprinklers, timers.

Yeah there are some cool tools as you get older to do some jobs. A cool one to remove weeds if like 3 feet tall and you just kick on it. Being a dutch (tulips) canadian and living in greenhouse land and the most fertile place on earth there is some crazy stuff we can get both plant and equipment wise. Most land is used for fruit trees, and now its all grapes, vineyards for the wineries. Sometimes in spring and summer we get insane fruits.

Its awesome you write for your local paper!
                        Last edited by empyr3al; August 6, 2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

I ran into an old co-worker this wknd. We worked together in restaurant/bar business. She has had a DUI been to rehab and has convinced herself she's capable of consistently having just one or two beers/wine. No spirits. I don't know. Maybe she can. My first thought was, how many thousands of times have I tried to convince myself of this. Yes I've been successful maybe 30-40% of the time. Maybe less as time has withered on. Since I've also been a black out drinker. I may be wrong on percents. One of my first thoughts was MWO. Felt everyone's support from a far. Thank you all for being here!.. Am grateful!!...

She gave me her number. My gut is saying stay away. Protect your quit. Believe my life depends on it. I'm grateful after prayer to make this decision to not pursue a friendship. I don't have many friends. Yet, feel this is for the best.

[MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] Currently, have very few hobbies. Unless, you consider cooking, cleaning, gardening, reading, rafting, fishing, camping, hiking,beach combing (have made table, glass jars, jewelry), pets, volunteer work. I'm a rock hound, nature and people watcher.

In the past, fresh water aquariums, swimming, dancing, gym, jewelry, remodeling, puzzzles and a little sewing and baking. CandIes and soaps to. Brook my leg years ago from drinking. Hubs bought me a book on knitting. I couldn't figure it out. All those loops drove me crazy. Crazier than I already am..Lol... Funny thing is as a kid I could crochet. I would need to watch someone and think I could pick it back up. I also have cut hair, coloured for those who are brave enough. :egad:

I dream of becoming a painter in nature. Thank you for being interested in your fellow brothers and sisters.

You are very- very talented, intelligent, kind young man. Yes, forty is young to me. Lol. Imo, your ex is not bright in leaving such a fine man. Think in the future you will find more then one suitor knocking at your door/ heart. You are a catch.... :smile:
                          Last edited by Wildflowers; August 6, 2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

@Wildflowers, I have had many interests over the years, including some I share with you. Last year, during the election hullaballoooo, I started to learn to knit to distract/engage/calm myself. Now I'm hooked and find it so meditative and relaxing, especially when I do a repetitive, almost "mindless" pattern. I love the feel of fibers like alpaca or fine wool slipping through my fingers - very soothing. I'm grateful I somehow was inspired to give this a try and that I'm now clear-headed enough that I don't make too many mistakes (I still make them but mostly just let them go and sort of fix them at the end. It's the process more than the product that is so rewarding :smile

Wool and the Gang has great free tutorial videos on YouTube. I recently found this book: Mindful Knitting: Inviting Contemplative Practice to the Craft: Tara Jon Manning, Bill Manning: Amazon.com: Books
                            It perfectly describes how I feel about this hobby. Hope you give it another try!
                            Last edited by NoSugar; August 6, 2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I'm grateful for a beautiful summer day, even if I am spending it cutting grass lol
                              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildflowers View Post
                                I ran into an old co-worker this wknd. We worked together in restaurant/bar business. She has had a DUI been to rehab and has convinced herself she's capable of consistently having just one or two beers/wine. No spirits. I don't know. Maybe she can. My first thought was, how many thousands of times have I tried to convince myself of this. Yes I've been successful maybe 30-40% of the time. Maybe less as time has withered on. Since I've also been a black out drinker. I may be wrong on percents. One of my first thoughts was MWO. Felt everyone's support from a far. Thank you all for being here!.. Am grateful!!...

She gave me her number. My gut is saying stay away. Protect your quit. Believe my life depends on it. I'm grateful after prayer to make this decision to not pursue a friendship. I don't have many friends. Yet, feel this is for the best.

[MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] Currently, have very few hobbies. Unless, you consider cooking, cleaning, gardening, reading, rafting, fishing, camping, hiking,beach combing (have made table, glass jars, jewelry), pets, volunteer work. I'm a rock hound, nature and people watcher.

In the past, fresh water aquariums, swimming, dancing, gym, jewelry, remodeling, puzzzles and a little sewing and baking. CandIes and soaps to. Brook my leg years ago from drinking. Hubs bought me a book on knitting. I couldn't figure it out. All those loops drove me crazy. Crazier than I already am..Lol... Funny thing is as a kid I could crochet. I would need to watch someone and think I could pick it back up. I also have cut hair, coloured for those who are brave enough. :egad:

I dream of becoming a painter in nature. Thank you for being interested in your fellow brothers and sisters.

You are very- very talented, intelligent, kind young man. Yes, forty is young to me. Lol. Imo, your ex is not bright in leaving such a fine man. Think in the future you will find more then one suitor knocking at your door/ heart. You are a catch.... :smile:
                                Yeah if your gut says no. Do not do it for now at least. Those hobbies are cool and I practice many of them. Thank you for the kind words, i do hope I find the love of my life. I have been trying my entire life. I thought I did. (acqually did) Live and learn. If you read what I said we are still friends, which honestly speaks of our characters. Likely due to how I can make things work. She is probably my perfect match but I f'd it up. No aggression other than the odd throwing of things. I thought I found the love of my life. If you don't understand; I want to be married and LOVE someone until the day I die. I find that really hard to find.
                                Last edited by empyr3al; August 6, 2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X