Need me some motivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need me some motivation

Hi all, I have been drinking too much for the past 8 years after going through some major life stress. I look at people who "don't drink through the week" and am in absolute awe. How do they do it? My intentions are good until I have to miss a night drinking and then it's all I can think about.

I've decided the only way is to have a "reset"... And to have a complete break in February... I really could do with some tips and support. I'm a single mum and work in a high pressure, busy job.

What should I expect in going without? When is the toughest time? How long does it take to be ok with it all? (Please don't say never)

All comments and words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Thank you xx

Hi Aussie and welcome. Its n nice to have an aussie here even if its not a great reason.

these people who dont drink during the week are so called "normal" drinkers who can take it or leave it. For me as an alcoholic i could never go a day without it. I could always find a reason to drink any day, the sky was blue, work was stressful, traffic was bad, kids were being difficult.

We all withdraw differently but to have a basic plan on not drinking is a must. My toughest time was when i got home from work and needed that first drink at 5.15pm through till pass out time. I am 3 years sober and i dont think of al at all except on very odd occasions. At first i logged on here each and every morning and afternoon. i spent time that i used to spend drinking being on here, reading and posting or watching docos on alcoholism to see if i "was that bad" and yes i was.

Head over to the newbies nest and say hello, there is always someone around to give you a hand and lend support.

Just take not drinking one day at a time or hour by hour or minute by minute, it does get easier as time goes on.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi Aussiegirl you have come to the right place in getting support & good advice from people who know exactly what your going through, Take a read around the boards, as said say hello in the nesters thread, keep posting no matter what your going through you are not alone. good luck.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I found lots of tips in the toolbox. How long a craving lasts for example. 15 minutes. I'm almost 4 years sober. The first week was hardest. Then it was rinse and repeat as Byrdie says. But after the first 30 days I had a pattern to follow. Of course there were some major hurdles like special occasions or camping trips that were drinking times for me. But I used examples of how other people on here coped with those times and got through. But one thing I did was I told myself Not one drink. Not for ANY reason. And as difficult as it was I stuck to that because for me there is no such thing as just one drink. And the alternative is crap. My life was crap. It's really a lot better now thanks to no drinking. Stay close to here. Read and post everyday for accountability.
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Hi, Aussie:

I found that once I took the choice of drinking off the table for sure it was easier because I wasn't constantly negotiating with myself. If you commit to a dry February, then the question when you get home from work is "shall I take a bath or go for a walk," not, "can I have just ONE tonight?"

I second what everyone says about a plan and the toolbox. I read a ton here. I also like The Bubble Hour podcast as a diversion with a lot of information.

Pav

(HI, LB!! So great to see you!)

Comment

Welcome to the boards, Aussiegirl. I hope you stick with us. The advice the others provided, will get you going in the right direction!
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Welcome.

In regards to what you will expect: more self-respect, clarity of thinking, a better parent, freedom for the rest of your life. The worst time will be the time of day you usually start and it's difficult. Distraction until it becomes routine and change your present routine.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

How long does it take to be ok with it? That will vary greatly on the person. My tip for you is, it wont be easy, but, it WILL be worth it, and you CAN do it if you REALLY want to, until that time, you can try all you want, but nothing will happen.

Dont sentence yourself to a life without AL(alcohol), wake up and tell yourself, I wont drink today. When that first urge hits, repeat, when the next urge hits, repeat.......repeat all day long, and then BAM you have one day done. Now that you have done it once, surely you can do it again.....and again.....and again...........

Good luck and wishing you strength, YOU CAN DO EEEEEEEEEEET
                Glad to be back with my second family :sohappy:
                Last dance with the devil 5/02/11

Comment

Aussie girl,
                  It sounds to me like you need to quit drinking but aren't ready yet. There is a "long term moderators" section of this forum for people trying to just reduce their drinking. My experience is that it is much easier to quit drinking than to reduce your drinking, but many people seem to need to learn that for themselves. I wasted three years of my life posting in that section, while slowly learning that I needed to just quit for good.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Love that picture. Thank you.
                    Edit: still getting the hang of the thread. Reply was directed to the Dorothy slippers photo.

Comment

Working...
                    X