Disulfiram (Antabuse) shortage in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disulfiram (Antabuse) shortage in UK

I unashamedly use Disulfiram (Antabuse) as my method of ensuring I do not drink. My Psychiatrist and GP both want me to do this as it works for me. There is a big problem with this in the UK at the moment which will be resolved but depending on who you listen to will not be completely resolved until possibly November.
    I have 2 weeks supply left which effectively gives me 19 days as it takes around 5 days to clear your system when you've been taking it regularly for a while.

The problem is that the production of this has been switched from one drug company to another without the new company having the license to produce/sell it in the UK.

Only the 200mg dose is licensed in the UK.

Apparently there is a very complicated procedure by which Doctors can prescribe 500mg tablets which you then take 3 times a week but this currently has to be imported from France and although it is unlicensed, some health authorities have given permission for this to be prescribed. I am trying to convince my Doctor to prescribe this but he cannot find the necessary permission for our health authority area. There is apparently no 200mg available anywhere in the UK now. (Mrs T took my prescription with her to England this week and was unable to get it there either).

Has anyone else had the same problem and if so, have you convinced your Doc to prescribe the 500mg?

Do any of you know of any other solution?

Tony

Re: Disulfiram (Antabuse) shortage in UK

Hi Tony, I took Antabuse for the first 6 months or so. My tablets were 250 mg, which I took at full strength initially. Later, I cut them in half, and at some point into quarters. So that's my suggestion to stretch out your supply if you're worried about running out. For me, as long as I took one daily, it didn't matter if it was the full tablet, or some portion of it.

Or, you might just order what you want from River Pharmacy. Welcome to RiverPharmacy.ca! > River Pharmacy
    Last edited by Pie; March 19, 2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Tony, I agree with Pie. Start cutting them in half to make them last. I also was able to take it every other day. I'm sorry this is happening.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I too only took them every 3/4 days Tony. Once they were in my system I was terrified to drink.
        Did the trick.

Comment

Working...
        X