Clear All

Re: Join the Army Against Alcohol - April 2017

Oooohhhhhh a date JC ?

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
      Oooohhhhhh a date JC ?
      Yep if I was 15 years younger and 28 pounds lighter
      Last edited by JackieClaire; April 11, 2017, 03:24 PM.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning folks. Forgot to mention I bought a bottle of wine on Friday. Not for me you understand but as a thank you for an acquaintance who did a small job for me. I offered him some money but he replied with a 'bottle of wine would be fine thanks'. Now he would have no reason or need to know of my toxic relationship with AL and I felt no need to enlighten him so said fine. I thought about asking DW to purchase the bottle but then thought hey AL is something that is all around and I can't run and hide every time I see it so off I went and bought one. It felt more than a little strange I have to say but it was ok. No feelings of omg I need to tear open the top off of one in the shop and pour it down my throat of even maybe I could buy a bottle for myself for later. I just picked one out, paid for it as shoplifting is frowned upon, and walked out. Playing with fire, I don't know but I felt strong enough to do go in the off licence and so it proved.
        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

No not at all Tabbs. That is a major step. Well done - another 'first' of many firsts this year !!! :applause:

I have deliberately bought the 'meal for 2 with wine' in M&S and took such joy in the fact that it had no effect on me ....... it's like it's just milk or something these days. Amazes me !!!
          The downside of this is I had to stop 'cos I had too much & ended up giving it away.

Comment

Beginning to feel useless and scrap heap material.
            I think I arrogantly thought I would get a job if I made it clear that despite a qualification / 23 years experience in HR, I wanted just a simple admin job at this stage.
            NO - I've sent my CV in response to at least 100 adverts. Had 2 interviews and I am totally disheartened now.
            Ageism is rife ........
            Having worked all my life without a claim on the state - I am now to be cut on the amount I have been receiving - and do not qualify for next benefit. So that's it - off you go - live on NOTHING !!!

Very deflating !!!

Comment

Good morning.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Well done ktab in facing up to realities of our life, Indeed alcohol is everywhere & for lot of folks it causes them no issues at all. That's why when we make this decision ,it has to be for ourselves . After a year I had no bother getting a trolley load of drink for the house at Christmas :-)

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                  Beginning to feel useless and scrap heap material.
                  I think I arrogantly thought I would get a job if I made it clear that despite a qualification / 23 years experience in HR, I wanted just a simple admin job at this stage.
                  NO - I've sent my CV in response to at least 100 adverts. Had 2 interviews and I am totally disheartened now.
                  Ageism is rife ........
                  Having worked all my life without a claim on the state - I am now to be cut on the amount I have been receiving - and do not qualify for next benefit. So that's it - off you go - live on NOTHING !!!

Very deflating !!!
                  Satz hopefully something will come up for you don't get to deflated, Is there any other similar type of work you can go for ? I cant really say anymore about it as I know feck all about the work market back home. Just keep the chin up & soldier on, As my aunty still says if its for you its for you....

Comment

Morning,
                    MWO is messing about for me this morning.

Satz, I noticed the ageism thing about my mid 50's..........I've always thought of it as becoming beige. Nice and neutral and we don't clash with anything so we go unnoticed.

This poem has always stuck with me.

WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE
                    With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
                    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
                    And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
                    I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
                    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
                    And run my stick along the public railings
                    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
                    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
                    And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
                    And learn to spit

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
                    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
                    Or only bread and pickle for a week
                    And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
                    And pay our rent and not swear in the street
                    And set a good example for the children.
                    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
                    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
                    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
                      Evening Army..
                      A pedicure Mario!! Well my youngest did my nails yesterday I paid no heed to them until someone said to me in a meeting earlier that they liked the little faces on my nails! :egad:

Have you grandkids too Rusto?
                      That's funny Mary. No, no grandkids yet, only in their early 20's, plenty of time. Enjoy your date JC. Well done Tabs, you are right it is everywhere and a part of life, just not a part of our life. Don't give up Satz, something will come up. I took a looooong career break and managed to get back. Only two days a week, would not stand it full time but it's grand. Something I considered doing was signing on with an agency before this came up but I needed uptodate experience which you seem to have. Not everyone's cup of tea, day here there and everywhere but just a thought.

Comment

Morning Mario.
                        Morning JC, purple is actually my favourite colour.
                        Benji, I hear you and it is indeed hard not to get disheartened. I have given this subject a lot of thought as I am very aware that I could find myself in the same boat as my job doesn't feel very secure, the whole company could go under at any time imo. I would love to retire very early but finances dictate that isn't going to happen anytime soon. So finding another job in my chosen line with 35+years experience appears to count for little it seems as it is a young person's game I am told. That leaves us with an option, take a low paid menial job or as I see it, it is an opportunity to try something completely different, something I wouldn't realistically have considered previously. So for me that means possibly re-training in another field, back to full time education if need be. Obviously there would be no guarantee of finding work in that field after say a year of full time back to college but would hopefully enable me to have the knowledge to start a business in that field, something that I would be genuinely interested in as opposed to counting down the next decade or so to retirement in a bad job. I am currently searching for ideas and maybe plan to start something on a part time basis. Maybe that is an option for you? I know when I ran my own business previously I was at my happiest career wise despite the hard work and long hours.
                        Last edited by Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB); April 12, 2017, 02:43 AM.
                        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hi AAAers

Like the Poem JC but I'll pass on the brandy!

Work has just gone mental and that's us snowed under until September (hopefully)!

Got home at 5 to midnight and now going in to re-prep everything for tonight - cooking: Chicken Balmoral; Venison Casserole; Soup - think I'll do tomato and roast red peppers; Rhubarb Crumbles; prep/cook off a ton of veg and make some gourmet burgers....Then I'll see what else needs doing

Busy busy!

Comment

Evening.
                            Love that poem JC. Into my back pocket.

I'm interested in all this career paths conversation. Like Tabbers, expecting to see some changes and I'm a bit afraid of the real world if I have to go there. I'm in a young persons game too and need to up skill to survive. Experience.. does it matter after a couple of years? What I did 20 years ago is completely irrelevant now. I don't know, industry changes so quickly.. I do like my job and I'd be gutted if I had to go.. Going to stick my head back into the sand for another while.
                            Hang in their Satz.. rustos idea is good, get the ball rolling. Or old fashioned nepotism!
                            AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Evening,
                              Langoustine in garlic butter for me, Tony, please.

Spent a very pleasant couple of hours with my mate. Just the 2 of us .............the other one had gone to a meeting.........typical over thinking, people pleasing, self doubter with a cracking sense of humour like most of us alcoholics.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Well done Tabbers on the wine.. when I have to buy wine now, I feel like telling the person on the till 'it's not actually for me'!!
                                The same way as I used to tell them 'look at all this wine, what am I like.. of course it's for my guests, mother, father, party'.. the Saddo that I was. Then I discovered that I could purchase less clinky clanky bottles if I moved to gin.. what a hold it had.
                                And another sober day done.
                                AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Working...
                                X