Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reality of Topamax

Hello all,

I have been on Topa for a little over 3 weeks and as of Monday started taking 100mg. It has helped tremendously with the physical cravings. I never really understood what the cravings were but now I consciously know what the difference is. I have also gone down in how much I drink but I am not anywhere at the stage where I want to be.

I have found the truth. I should have figured this out earlier by reading all the other posts but sometimes you have to figure it out for yourself. Basically Topa can help but you still have to do it yourself. Let me explain a lot more than that. Topa has removed ALL physical cravings. Now the only ones that remain are habitual. And you know what? Those are freeeekiiiiinnn tough. Last night I just couldnt do it. I had a few beers. I did not go hog wild and didnt even get toasted. BTW... I havent gotten drunk yet since taking Tapa.

My plan is to discuss our nightly schedule with my wife to see what we can do to tweek the weeknights to keep me active so I wont feel the urge to drink. Thats my plan anyway. I kind of figured out that for me it is going to be a change of environment that is going to do the trick.

Any Sage advice is more than welcome.
    Hablur

The reality of Topamax

Hi,

I found that I couldn't get prescribed topra, but my doc gave me Campral, which has ridded me on the most part of the cravings, and I agree, it's the habit and the crutch I now need to work on, but I've found an unexpected and good thing, I no longer crave smokes, really! I just don't want one.

I would like to know if anyone has had this wonderful side effect!

All the best for you and us, love Jas
    :thanks: :h

Comment

The reality of Topamax

Hiya, me too. Yes the nine o'clock 'itch' gets me every time. I have started reading, really reading, by finding topics which really interest me instead of my usual magazine or romance! Well it is worth a try! I go round car boot sales and charity shops to buy books then donate them back when I am finished, the inspiring ones I keep of course. Just now I am into kind of 'self help' and religious books and am just loving them. Can't go to bed and sit propped up reading when I am full of voddy so this is my treat to myself. Looking forward to hearing others 'little ways' of getting over the 'itchy time of night'.

L
      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

The reality of Topamax

Yes, I have found the same thing. You still have to WANT to be sober. I take Nalrexone and have been tempted a couple of times to just not take it before I'm going out. Well, what would be the point of that??? I'm happy to say that I have not succumbed to that little devil on my shoulder that suggests I just skip my med for the night. What it comes down to is I just have to remind myself why I am doing this whole program in the first place. I want to be in control. I want to be sober.

Comment

The reality of Topamax

Well Hablur, congratulations on your progress. I'm not much help at the moment because I now spend all previous drinking time plus some on here but will follow your progress on getting a life!

Comment

The reality of Topamax

Mine wasn't so much habitual but more like certain situations or events (& even people) that triggered an instant oral intake of self medication. Then I would jump on the binge wagon.

So for me I took one day at a time & made little goals. When I knew the triggers were coming I made a plan & stuck to it. I kept busy in the bginning, removed all alcohol, had a good support system & developed my mindset. Stayed away from temptations. Once I overcame the first few obstacles & remained AF-I knew that it would come easier. It's almost like practice makes perfect. I keep practicing my AF days. I don't know if I'll be perfect because statistics show that I can fail. But I don't look at that. That's too far in the future. I look & take each day with vigilance & make the best of it. Because each day I remain AF is one more day I proved those stats wrong.

What you put in is what you get out.
            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

The reality of Topamax

I've noticed the same about the 'habit' of it. Some nights I have no desire to drink but do anyway just because it's there (my BF keeps us well stocked). So I've been wondering if the hypno tapes help with this - because I know my psyche needs to be reset. i.e. - "I'm a drinker so I drink." needs to be reset.
              Does anyone have any experience of the hypno cds helping with this?
              Hugs,
              imatree

Comment

Working...
              X