Need a quick answer to whether Baclofen can be used for alcohol withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a quick answer to whether Baclofen can be used for alcohol withdrawal

The traditional is Diazepam but I have read some papers that Baclofen works also. Any reports on this and has anyone done it before?
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Re: Need a quick answer to whether Baclofen can be used for alcohol withdrawal

Yes, it has helped me before. My Dr Rxd last July. Take 10mg 3xd. First, original RX still have three left. With refills. Don't care for the SE's. Take occasionally for anxiety. Tho, some say it doesn't work that way. Along with beta blockers. Found Atenolol better for withdrawals, than Propranolol. I read way back that Atenolol in UK is a class four drug that may cause diabetes with prolonged use. If you have certain types of thyroid disease it helps with reverse FT3 problems. Propranolol helps with Toxicosis FT3, but has SE's to. Don't think diabetes is one of them. Not easy to get diazapam-valium in my area of USA, unless IP. Federal govt has cracked down on any addictive RX's, even for short term relief.

Comment

Will post else where about GP and medications than in the general forum.

Thank you [MENTION=16893]Wildflowers[/MENTION] for your advice and experience.
      Last edited by empyr3al; June 1, 2017, 08:43 PM. Reason: Switching thread.
      "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

The short answer is that while baclofen can ease symptoms in uncomplicated alcohol withdrawal syndrome, its use may not prevent serious symptoms (seizures, Delirium Tremens) in all cases (heavier, longer-term drinkers), and adjunct medications (like benzos or other anti-convulsants) may be called for:

See:

Safety and efficacy of baclofen in the treatm... [Curr Pharm Des. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
        Baclofen for alcohol withdrawal. [Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
        Efficacy and safety of pharmacolo... [Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
        Treating alcohol withdrawal with oral baclofen: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. - PubMed - NCBI
        -tk
        Last edited by terryk; June 5, 2017, 12:09 PM.
        TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Working...
        X