Question about liver enzymes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about liver enzymes

I was wondering if anyone had had the experience of having liver enzyme elevation and how long it took for that to resolve after abstinence. At my blood test the doctor told me I had slight enzyme elevations. I do not know the numbers-- she wanted to interpret the test instead of me. She used the word slight several times. She said that she felt it would resolve with abstinence and that I should not do further tests until I had done that. I was never a daily drinker-- more binges-- I'd have about one a month and it was off to the races for those 3 or 4 days. After the last binges I definitely had withdrawal symptoms -- not seizures or anything but the sweating and anxiety, loss of appetite. I take a blood pressure pill but no other medicines, have never smoked and don't use and have never used illegal drugs. I know none of you are doctors-- I'm just wondering about your personal experiences. The withdrawing and the elevated enzymes certainly give me incentive to quit. Thank you!

Re: Question about liver enzymes

Hi Tide - I had blood work done the week I quit for good and one year later. All the numbers, including liver enzymes, improved for the better! You're on the right track. ODAAT
    Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

I have had elevated liver enzymes and that was a motive to quit. It took me a long time for them to come down but the key was abstinence. I still sometimes get elevated levels after 4 years sober but not nearly as high as when I was drinking. Factors that may influence this are medications, and viral infections or other illnesses. It's really important to quit and also probably reduce fat consumption. Although the experts disagree on the latter. I have always had a low fat, non meat diet, so that's not such an issue for me.
      You will get people telling you to take all sorts of supplements for liver health but that's pointless if you keep drinking AL. It is true that the liver is forgiving. So best of luck for your recovery.

Comment

The dr said she expected them to be normal after 3 months of abstinence and no Tylenol. I don't take Tylenol so I'll just focus on the abstinence. I guess they must not have been too high or she would have done more testing or something. I eat very well but need to step up the workouts. I'm a worrier by nature so I will be worried despite the Drs attempts to just have me focus on not drinking but not emphasizing specific numbers. I'll just accept her that slight means slight but must be corrected. I normally feel pretty well though I know that that could be deceptive. Thanks for the answer. P.S. My dr is very against liver type supplements as she says the liver heals itself and supps are not regulated so she's leery. I will just focus on not drinking for 3 months then retest. Thanks!

Comment

Mine were about 4 times normal maximum. Late November AST/ALT/B ... took 2 months abstinence to become perfect and dead center of normal. 2 weeks later in December I was less than twice maximum. 1 month later at the max. 2 months dead center. GGT is not what we test for anymore here as an indicator, although I did request it a couple times. I was worried what drugs I was using Naltrexone and Campral at the time would cause issues but they didnt have much effect as things came back to normal. Healed fast. Wishing you the best.

We are lucky here that we can login and read the test results outselves the next day because as a numbers person and with regular testing I could see the direction it was moving. I hated it when the doctor wanted to check the results and just "Yeah everything is normal". Or 'Slightly high". Well how high is bloody high. I spent hours researching what the max numbers could be and how doctors determine what organ or disease you have. Some of the numbers hit like 20,000 (which is terminal) where as mine were like 200 when normal was about maximums are around 40 (broad estimate of how AST and ALT relate). I was a daily 40oz a day drinker a week prior to my detox and blood test. Could not eat and learned to eat again with Gravol (Dimenhydrinate). I'd have to check my charts again to give a clearer image and time line. I test once a month for any fluctuations. I also pretty much eat twice the sugar amount that the WHO recommends with my tea alone.

That is a little more clear. 1 week after abstinence. This was November. I won't post the rest as its all pretty much info you want to keep to yourself. I will add 1 more of what the last one came out as in March. No need to show it all. But after the initial blood tests

At one point in time 5 years ago those numbers were in 300-400 after an insanely long bender. So bad I could not move or walk up or down stairs.

So really proper diet and abstinence work. Best of luck!
          Last edited by empyr3al; June 9, 2017, 01:25 PM.
          "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you very much. That is encouraging-- the 2 month thing especially. I take one daily med for blood pressure and was told it will not affect the liver adversely like some can. Like you I do wish I knew the numbers in some ways because I think I'd be heartened to see progress over time. But if they didn't go down as I wanted I'd have a moose I'm sure! I agree with you about wondering what is slight? This is just a guess but it would likely not be twice the limit as dr is pretty conservative and would probably have a fit if so. I'll just keep on keeping on.

Comment

Working...
            X