Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Join the Army Against Alcohol-July 2017

Evening,
    [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION].........hope you managed to get a few hours, love.

Mad day at work. The boss was no where to found when a team from one of the addiction services turned up for a meeting and there was nothing in the diary...........luckily just a morning one so they only wanted tea and coffee and some cake. So me and the lad who runs the cafe cobbled something together and I have to say it was cobbled together with style and efficiency on the outside...............on the inside we were both running round like headless chickens and looking at each other saying WTF..............she turned up just after 12 and she'd forgotten all about it.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

[MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION] yes I'm still titrating down; its pretty low right now like 2-3 standard units from nearly 60 at times for weeks without blackouts. I started taking quiting way more seriously when I blacked out about a year ago. That was a mix of an SNRI Trintellix that caused that. Its gone up and down for so long, beer for a while, then hard vodka straight but thats better than usual for me. Its so difficult because I can either use vodka, mirtazapine or diazepam to sleep. Each implies a different length of sleep. And I severely don't like either alc or benzos or their consequences. Mirtazapine knocks you out for like 8 hours. As we probably all know in this thread that its not something we enjoy anymore. Still at the point where I think I am dehydrated because its not my stomach but I regurgitate in the morning to clear thick phlegm. Lungs and hard liquor do not mix well over time. So the longer I sleep the worse it gets. It could be acid reflux though I eat at night, late and still have an empty stomach in the morning. I could use a protein pump inhibitor like omeprazole to stop this all as its likely acid reflux causing my lungs to be mad at me, but the WHO just black labelled it. (Its not and actually endorsed, it was an article about floura in your stomach that was a lie). I intentionally open cans of gingerale hours before using them to prevent this, but it happens every couple days if I forget. I open gingerale so it gets rid of the carbonization and I just get something flat in me.

[MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION] yes I managed some sleep but its all wrong and all over the map. Missed an important appointment this afternoon due to sleep all over in short spurts and I'm severely disappointed. Its interesting that I also note when needed to accomplish a task everything and worry goes out the window and I just do it. Sorry about your morning and glad you made it through.
      Last edited by empyr3al; July 11, 2017, 03:34 PM.
      "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

[MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION].............I'm afraid the only drug I can comment on is the mirtazapine.............I took that about 10 years ago..........I was so underweight the doctor I was seeing thought it would help with my appetite and it did.

All I can really say is once you get a good few weeks sober behind you although you may not sleep a lot the sleep you get will be solid sleep................you may already know this so forgive me for stating the obvious.

Empy, bit of a pep talk for you. You're going in the right direction. The flat ginger beer (is it non alcoholic) is a great idea. Also flat full sugar cola............that was actually recommended by my GP.............I also found not drinking anything too chilled helped.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening,
          [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] if you heat up the gingerale it should take the fizz out. Hope you get better sleep later.

How many hours sleep do you get Molly?
          Well done [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION] you played a blinder :thumbsup:

Question: As a child, I had a particularly good sense of smell. Id forgotten about it.. But recently, I feel like Im being bombarded with smells.. my nose is taking over - I can smell a fart in the next room! At this stage, is it related to not drinking? hardly?

Night..sniff sniff..
          AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

[MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION] I have like 2500$ in meds designed for anti alcohol in stock in a cabinet. Thats how bad I want it gone from my life. Campral, naltrexone, mirtazapine, valium, baclofen, 5HTP, B100, B1... everything under the sun. And they worked for 6 months until I mixed a couple like Trintellix and Pristiq and it threw it way off. And yes my goal is completely free but it will take some time if you know what I have done. Did you read my thread to see what I've tried? I eat crazy good food so I tend to be underweight or regular weight considering.

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] thats an interesting idea to heat it up. I could just buy ginger tea and save the hassle I suppose. My smell is still distorted at times, but when it works holy fdafdsafdsa.

[MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION] You can reiterate all you want to get the point across. The gingerale is not alcoholic, its called Canada Dry apparently made from real ginger. During the temperance movement brewers started to make soda's so thats the result is canada dry without alc. Now I do have real ginger and could do something similar, but who knows. Mirtazapine for me is odd because if I stay up to late on like the forums I sleep to long using mirtazapine. And in terms of appetite it confuses me because you take it at night when we need to eat during the day but I eat like crazy after taking it. Doc recomended i use my pill cutter and split it across the day but I probably already said that in a previous post. Everything I drink is room temperature because I know full well what happens. The only thing I do at night is eat what we call freezies, so frozen pop essentially to settle my stomach. Thanks for the tips.

Thank you all for the tips and everything.
            Last edited by empyr3al; July 11, 2017, 08:08 PM.
            "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

[MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION] I use trays that divide my day and can be taken as a daily requirement and use an app called medisafe to keep track. Its a hell of a lot of substances as designed to help me quit. If you can tell i have tried to do this for a while.
              Last edited by empyr3al; July 11, 2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

My family paid thousands for what was believed as the the best rehab and never did i get a psychiatrist or a psychologist or an MSW or anything (While i paid for this). Well maybe a doctor but they didnt seem concerned by me because I'm not a herioin/oxy/fenta addict. I had to learn to do this all myself. I got all my therapy by being persistent. That and my mother is an MSW so I know alot; its a challenge act. The system is strange here but not as strange as the states.
                Last edited by empyr3al; July 11, 2017, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Morning.
                  I saw that about Tabbers on retreat. .............don't think I could sit still or that quiet for so long.

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]...thanks for the kudos. Frankly I'm a bit pissed off with her .........shrug of shoulders and I forgot attitude. Luckily this time it was a small group just wanting coffee and cake.........it could have easily been a conference of 40 wanting lunch.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

[MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION] these are all drugs to stop drinking. Thanks for reading the post. I wish you a great day. I am happy for you.

Drug info; Campral is for when you are sober to restore some brain chemistry, naltrexone is used in multiple ways and essentially nulls the high you get from a drink. Mirtazapine is for appetite and antidepressant and cross linked with AF. The drugs that threw me off are new drugs that have complex issues. Trintellix and Pristiq. The ones you might not recognize are vitamins B1 (Thiamine), B100 a super combo of B vitamines.
                    The others well, heck drug companies are try to get things approved for other issues. All I know is that SNRI's or SSRI's really screw wth me (new antidepressants). And avoid adderral at all cost.

One day I will be clean. But realize these drugs are all designed to kill addiction apparently. I'm happy rehab worked for you but it doesnt for all.
                    Last edited by empyr3al; July 12, 2017, 04:57 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=JackieClaire;1720250]Morning.

Hope Tabbers is enjoying his retreat. Did a 6 week meditation course a few years ago, enjoyed it but not great at incorporating it into every day life. Hope today went better JC. Welcome empyr3al, I'm afraid I know very little about the medications but wish you well with it.

Regarding sleep, I sleep like a log, need at least 7 hours a night. Probably passed out when drinking but even now being totally alcohol free I sleep really well. Dream more or maybe it's that I remember them better. Also have a great sense of smell Mary, hubby used to laugh at me smelling clothes to see if they were fresh.

Comment

Very late daily check in--Hello Army, just back from a race and now ready for bed, very tired but the good news I won £25. My sense of smell is now so acute I never connected that with anything. Nighty night XX

Comment

[MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION]..........I only do Tuesdays and Thursdays. I don't think I could cope with her more often........I'm trying to work out why I'm not that keen on her.

Sleep...........I get an hour in the afternoon (lucky me)and about 5-6 at night. That's during the week.

[MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION].............thiamine ...........now you mention it. I always wondered why I had tingly fingers apparently its a classic sign of thiamine deficiency according to my GP.....Took that for at least a year after I gave up drinking......... http://alcohol.addictionblog.org/thi...nd-alcoholism/

The only sense of heightened smell I have is that I can smell alcohol on people...........always thought I was a clever girlie drinking vodka but that gives off the same stale alcoholic aroma.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

x-post there Mrs A. Night night.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening,

Think I sleep like Rusto..I like to get 7 hrs and mostly out for the count.. When drinking, I always woke around 3 and would drink gallons of water. Then 4 to pee, 5 dehydrated... then panic that I didnt bring up enough water, or that its nearly time to get up..
                              I still get a kick out of that morning moment, just before I wake up properly, knowing Im not going to feel like shit or that Im possibly still slightly over the limit. And not having to piece together last night events.
                              That said, Im still not a morning person!

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                              [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]...thanks for the kudos. Frankly I'm a bit pissed off with her .........shrug of shoulders and I forgot attitude. Luckily this time it was a small group just wanting coffee and cake.........it could have easily been a conference of 40 wanting lunch.
                              Annoying. What do they say... they takers eat better but the givers sleep better, or something like that (shes probably lovely, just having a bad day!)

Comment

Missed posts there Anon and JC!
                                My nose is definitely much sharper, yep, stale booze from a distance..

Night xx
                                Last edited by IamMary; July 12, 2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X