THIS is still ok ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THIS is still ok ??

I think I find this particularly hard to hear from a country literally drowning in addiction to opiates, cocaine, heroin and alcoholism........

YouTube

Re: THIS is still ok ??

Its dumb Kuya! My hubs likes country music and every time I go to the garage to do laundry its always some 'day drinking' song or 'shes so cute when she's drunk' song I guess they can't write songs about anything else that inspires them
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kuya View Post
      I think I find this particularly hard to hear from a country literally drowning in addiction to opiates, cocaine, heroin and alcoholism........
      Yeah it seems rediculous. But remember we tried prohibition and that sucked. If you have netflix there are great docs on this. Otherwise YouTube Other countries have accomplished limited addiction by making none illegal. I think its culture. Yes we (in Canada) are drowning from opiates and alcoholism. Its sad and that song does not help. Something culturally has to change in the states and canada.
      Last edited by empyr3al; July 8, 2017, 05:00 PM.
      "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by empyr3al View Post
        . Yes we (in Canada) are drowning from opiates and alcoholism. Its sad and that song does not help. Something culturally has to change in the states and canada.
        There was a strong drinking culture here when I emigrated but we have a big push now to decrease alcohol abuse....lots of govt adverts. Also lots of police roadside checks with 'booze buses'.

We are also aiming to be smokefree by 2025 and no longer show packaging in shops or allow and tobacco adverts. They pushed the price up so high it stopped me!

Comment

Yeah we have had bans for years on alcohol or cigarette sponsored events or ads. Maybe 20 years now. Yes we do now have blocked cigarettes in cages that you cannot see and a huge sponsored engagement in quiting. For now my doc says smoke because its better than drinking. Smokes are cheap here if you want native untaxed cigarettes. We are talk 9$ CAD (6$USD) for 200 cigarettes. Its not helping things. I was smoke free for 5 years using a vapor from 24mg down to 3mg and eventually 0mg for months. But the wierd thing is that it killed my cat because I was unaware of the ingredients. PPG. Do not use a vapor inside if you love your cat.
          "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah we have had bans for years on alcohol or cigarette sponsored events or ads. Maybe 20 years now. Yes we do now have blocked cigarettes in cages that you cannot see and a huge sponsored engagement in quiting. For now my doc says smoke because its better than drinking. Smokes are cheap here if you want native untaxed cigarettes. We are talk 9$ CAD (6$USD) for 200 cigarettes. Its not helping things. I was smoke free for 5 years using a vapor from 24mg down to 3mg and eventually 0mg for months. But the wierd thing is that it killed my cat because I was unaware of the ingredients. PPG. Do not use a vapor inside if you love your cat.
            Wow that is crazy cheap! $9 for 200.... do you mean for 20?

What's in the vapour that harms cats? I am alarmed to hear that

Comment

This is interesting.

Imagine if the media covered alcohol like other drugs - Vox

Comment

[MENTION=16547]kuya[/MENTION] 200 smokes, which illustrates just how much we tax it if you don't buy off a native reserve. On reserve 200 cigs for 9$. Off a reserve its about 10$ for 25. I assume its to make it cost prohibitive and also to supplement the cost of health care here, so kind of a sin tax. Propolyene Glycol is toxic to cats and its a base used in vapor liquid.
                Last edited by empyr3al; July 10, 2017, 12:43 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=16547]kuya[/MENTION] 200 smokes, which illustrates just how much we tax it if you don't buy off a native reserve. On reserve 200 cigs for 9$. Off a reserve its about 10$ for 25. I assume its to make it cost prohibitive and also to supplement the cost of health care here, so kind of a sin tax. Propolyene Glycol is toxic to cats and its a base used in vapor liquid.
                  I am a little more cynical [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION]. At only $9 for 200 it sounds like there is indifference as to whether natives smoke themselves to death!

I strongly believe nicotine is THE gateway drug as one rarely meets an addict who has never smoked and most still do.
                  Last edited by kuya; July 10, 2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=16547]kuya[/MENTION] Native rights here you can be cynical of but they are not taxed. Their gas is cheap, cigarettes. Its a liberty they have even though we are really screwing it up. Its an arguement that underlies how we treat the natives. Do we police them or do we not. They are self policed by most part. These cigarettes are common around ontario so the only real policing or regulating it is off a reserve. I think I already uploaded a photo of what 180$ gets you. I tried to upload a photo of what a bag of 200 cigs looks like. Now you never know what you get sometimes these things don't burn right and they are not regulated so you never know the additives. Thankfully we have systems here so I have nicotine patches already to help me quit, they make wierd dreams though. So the morning cigarette after you took off the patch before sleep is hard to deal with. Might need some nicorette. Cost if you are paying for anti smoking costs dozens of times more than having 4000 (yes 4000) cigarettes at 182$ as they take a pack off one per ten purchased. None of this taxed and if you are caught selling them off native territory you get severe penalities. I don't know how we are supposed to deal with this.

Nicotine is definately a gateway drug I agree. There are arguements about what are and if there are gateway drugs. Nicotine was for me.

Comment

It is the natives who are killing themselves, sadly. It is their decision to not charge the tax. The government does not require them to do so, but they can charge whatever price they like. They could charge the tax and put the money to good use on the reservations.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
                        It is the natives who are killing themselves, sadly. It is their decision to not charge the tax. The government does not require them to do so, but they can charge whatever price they like. They could charge the tax and put the money to good use on the reservations.
                        And what would be your response [MENTION=5017]Sunbeam[/MENTION] if the government decided to make all opiates tax free?

Would you blame the unemployed working class for using more or the government for making them free?

Just because they have the 'choice' to tax them does not mean they have the sense to see what is behind it!

Comment

Working...
                        X