A word of encouragement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word of encouragement

Hey folks... long time, no type! (Entirely my fault, yes)

It seems that life has got so busy (out 'n about with people... imagine that!) that I only check in here once or twice a year. Generally, it's around my anniversary... this year, it's a bit earlier.

Like so many others here, I struggled for years with first admitting that there was something seriously wrong with the way I was living my life, then with doing something about it and sticking to it. It's hard, I know. It becomes a lot easier once you do realize, admit, and truly believe that you have a drinking problem. Once you hit that rock bottom, that point, where you are sick and tired of the merry-go-round. Jump off. Do it.

If I could, so can you. I was pretty hard core at the end, and a master at lying to myself and those around me.

I just went through one of the most horrific and saddest times in one's life possible... losing my 2 year old grand daughter. And, watching her parents (my son and ex g/f) trying to work through that devastation and grief. And, standing by, helplessly. I got through it, sober. In fact, I believe the only reason WHY I got through it as well (I use that term loosely) as I did, is BECAUSE I was sober. The thought to drink actually never occurred to me. Whew.

My son still has addiction issues, my daughter does, too (among many other medical problems). Life isn't ever going to be all rainbows and butterflies.... but, at least, now I can deal with things in the APPROPRIATE manner. Not overly emotional, not making things about me when they aren't, not adding to chaos and destruction.

So, for anyone wondering if it's worth it... you know.. the struggle, the pain, the sleepless nights, etc... I would like to offer you a resounding YESSSSSSS!!!!!!! And yes, you CAN do it. There's NO DOUBT, you can.

Wishing you well on your journey and beyond...

xo Sunni-G
    Last edited by sunshine_gg; August 8, 2017, 05:53 PM.
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Re: A word of encouragement

Sunni:hug::heartbeat:I was so sorry to hear about the sudden passing of your granddaughter...she was lucky to have a lovely, smart, fun and SOBER grandma like you. YOUR commitment to remain AF is an inspiration to many people here. Your post would fit smashingly in The Toolbox. ;-). Congratulations on your long-term sobriety, and hopefully, sometime soon, we can carve out some time for a marathon chat. Love, Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty; August 8, 2017, 08:47 PM. Reason: Revised to say YOUR Commitment to remain AF

Comment

Rust bucket!!! *ducking*
      Was actually just thinking of you, darlin... yes, need to have a chat again. Lots going on here.. some good, some not so much.
      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Sunshine, its great to see you! I'm so very sorry about the loss of your grandchild.. I can't even imagine you sound really good, thank you so much for stopping by ,take care
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Sunshine, I am so sorry for your loss, but happy that you are still AF, and getting through life.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Always happy to see you checking in Sunni.

So sorry about the loss of your granddaughter. I can't even imagine how tough that must have been for all of you :hug:
            The fact that you were completely present for your son & his ex must have been a big help for them.

I hope for peace & healing for all of you!
            Much love,
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Sunni - always great to see you. Wonderful post. You have been in my thoughts & prayers - such a heartbreaking loss. :heartbeat:
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

[MENTION=7423]sunshine_gg[/MENTION]..
                Lots going on here.. some good, some not so much.
                Oh no...we will set up a time to talk....SOON! I miss your wonderful sense of humor here!

Comment

Sunni-G,
                  So sorry for your loss. I miss you all and think of you often. I have not been here for a LONG time but ya'll are always on my mind.

MUCH LOVE!!!!!
                  Bob

Comment

Hey Miss Nora!!

Comment

Sunni, wonderful to see your post and my deepest sympathy for the loss of your granddaughter. Stop by more often if you can.

Comment

Sunni, great to see you. My condolences.
                        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Sending lots of good stuff you way. I admire your strength and courage. Sobriety imparts a sense of resilience and power in those that stay the course. I know this for sure. I am very sorry for your loss, Sunni. So, if you ever need to process, you have many friends here. xoxo
                          Last edited by techie; August 10, 2017, 06:00 PM.
                          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Hi, Sunni!

So very sorry for your loss - I can't imagine what that would be like. I think it is great that you could be there for your son, sober and present.

xo
                            Pav

Comment

Ah Sunny G. my 'old' mate, how lovely to see you. I am glad you posted but so sad at your news.
                              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Working...
                              X