One Step at a Time - September 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One Step at a Time - September 2017

Hi bird - weekends are really hard! It took me ages to accept that they're just another two days of the week.

Is it Father’s day wherever you are? It is here, and it was SO strange ringing my son to wish him happy father’s day for the first time. My boys grew up without a father and for many years they would buy me ‘mum’ gifts for mother’s day and ‘dad’ gifts for father’s day (I still have the toolkits and electric drill). I’m so proud that they’re now the delightful, responsible, happy, successful men they’ve become.
    Last edited by Glass Half Empty; September 2, 2017, 08:55 PM.
    There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
    You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Awww - Glassie - I LOVE That. And yes, you should be so proud. It is not Father's Day here. This is a 3 day weekend for many of us in the states. It is Labor Day.

Bird - I agree. Savor the weekend. What a difference than drinking it away. Are the girls at the same college?

catch - love all your encouraging posts. :love:

Mr V - I need to go drop off at the cafe and check on you. I hope you are doing well.

Pauly - I don't know how you can get out & walk in the heat. We are in the midst of a heat wave here and it's so muggy it takes my breath away.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

There are also wildfires all around. Really sad. Different reason than in Texas but same situation. Grab what you can and get out.
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora I thought for sure California would be spared wildfires this year cuz of all the rain you seemed to have gotten,Liz,I hope you're ok hon Bird,seems the weekend is easy for me,its the damn work stress that makes me lose my marbles,I think cuz I drink out of emotions, anger,sadness,etc not so much for the "joy" of drinking, Glassy are you feeling a lot better? I hope so,SK you're in my thoughts love,wishing everyone a peaceful AF night
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hey Pauly - hope you had a great day.
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Originally posted by catch22 View Post
              Hi Bird , I can so relate to the weekend. I always use to find weekends, use to be hardest I don't know why, but I notice the more af days I had and months the weekend's just seems to be like another day. I never thought to myself that it could ever happened. Also birthdays , Christmas, New year, weddings & ect . I always use to say to myself if only I could get past a weekend, would be more important then a week day. But it does get easier the more sober weeks you have. Hope it helps x catch22 x
              [MENTION=2634]bird[/MENTION] I agree weekends are hard.
              [MENTION=9531]catch22[/MENTION] and Bird. Something I learned in a non AA group therapy session from some people in the group that had done DBT (Dialectical behavior therapy) is that if you can do a year you can manage. If you live in a seasonal place like Canada, every behaviour changes. Winter you stick your beer in the snow while you shovel and drink a couple and suffer seasonal depression and the holiday season. Spring while gardening, or spring fever. Summer, BBQs, mowing the lawn, friends over, sun stays up forever, camping. Fall, cleaning up. Everyone has different triggers or patterns of behavior so if you can manage each season you are okay. If you notice you relapse during one season or another that is the challenge you have to face and the most difficult part. I know which seasons hit me hardest and what events trigger cravings because my brain is patterned. Those are the times I need to reach out or meditate.

Just something I learned. I'm told after 5 years and surviving those seasonal triggers you can manage without having a problem otherwise you are still at extreme risk of relapse.

One step at a time.
              Last edited by empyr3al; September 3, 2017, 01:07 AM.
              "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi everyone:heartbeat:
                Wow that is a powerful post empty and so true am on citolopram for depression and I notice round just before the clocks go back, to winter time is when I get the winter blues. But am 5yrs sober and iput my 24hour coin in my phone wallet where I can see it every time I buy something. It a good reminder.

X catch22 X
                Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Good Morning, Friends!
                  [MENTION=19302]Lizann[/MENTION] :hug:: We are here for you. I PM'd you my phone number if you feel like talking.

Glassie dear-how are you feeling? Will this flu/whooping cough delay your Ph.D. plans?

Great posts, Catch and [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION].
                  [MENTION=2634]bird[/MENTION]-good job on getting right back to AF-ness.:welldone:

I had a lazy day yesterday so will work out, clean and do paperwork today. It's supposed to rain so indoor activities will take over, I guess.

Nora:hug:how clever and sweet you are to reprint some helpful posts from long ago. So glad they are all still helpful.

Big hellos to everyone else, and happy AF Sunday!

Comment

Glassie-I LOVED THIS!:heartbeat:
                    it was SO strange ringing my son to wish him happy father’s day for the first time. My boys grew up without a father and for many years they would buy me ‘mum’ gifts for mother’s day and ‘dad’ gifts for father’s day (I still have the toolkits and electric drill). I’m so proud that they’re now the delightful, responsible, happy, successful men they’ve become.

Comment

I got tone say I love that post as well.
                      Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                      sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                      my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Sending strength to you Liz, and bird!
                        Loved the read by Belle, Nora, gonna have to read more of her.
                        Interesting about the seasonal changes, Empy. Never really gave that much thought. Might have to, especially around here where Octobertfest season is kicking in. Feel like I'm missing out on all those great new beers, gotta get over that one for sure. The only thing I'll be missing is my money and a few headaches.
                        Loved that you got Dad gifts, Glassie, too cool. Hope you're on the mend!
                        SK- so so sorry about your Ex, I'm sure it's a shocker and heartbreaking.
                        Waves to Pauly, Rusty, Catch and those I forgot.

Comment

Mr.V! Great to see you!! I get the pull of the new beers at Oktoberfest. I was not a beer drinker, but I romanticized sitting in a waterfront bar, drinking a new Chardonnay, in the fall, looking at the colorful leaves. The problem was...even when I could stop at two glasses of wine, and I frequently did...I had NO motivation to do anything else the rest of the day/evening. WASTED time. I love the feeling of being productive. Maybe if you look at it that way it might take the "lure" of drinking away for you. Just a thought.

Comment

Liz, sweetheart, I just answered your PM. I will pray for you today.

Catch-are you in Europe or in the USA? I don't think I ever knew.

So glad to see some of our guys posting here...you add vitality to our happy thread.

Comment

I have a few quotes I love to revisit when I need a boost. My favourite at the moment is "If it costs you your peace, it's too expensive". I like to have a special word to focus on that sums up the one, most important thing I want in my life, and for me that thing is peace.

Well this weekend was a bit boring. I'm in self-imposed exile because I'm contagious so I had to cancel my family father's day gathering. I feel like I need to ring a bell and shout 'unclean' if I accidentally come into contact with anyone. :sad:

Comment

Liz - I don't know if you're checking in while you're away but I'm so sorry you're feeling down. I hope you don't let whatever happened overshadow what a wonderful wife and mother you are. I'm in awe of everything you do at the moment to care for your daughters, with both a wedding and a grandbaby, and with your Dad's illness. It must be exhausting! Please take care of yourself and know we all love you. xxxxx

Comment

Working...
                                X