One Step at a Time - September 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One Step at a Time - September 2017

Drat! Sorry you lost your post, Bird. Sounds like you had a busy day. How are the cravings going? I've been sending you positive thoughts.
    We are having weird weather. Very hot but we just had dark clouds go over. Possible thunderstorms. Bad thing is that the wind is starting up which is going to be bad for all those forest fires.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Originally posted by NoraC View Post
      Oh - I forgot to tell you. I had a nightmare that my boss had a big bottle of whiskey in a red box and was giving it to me. I said no thanks I don't drink. She said I'll just leave it here for when you start up again.
      Honestly, from everyone I know in every rehab or meeting I have been to has experienced waking up from a nightmare thinking they relapsed and are in a panic. Its typical. The instant feeling of remorse and then gathering yourself and thinking wow that didn't actually happen. Thats our minds playing tricks on us. I experience them once a week but they have been subsiding due to changes in medications. My only insight which is just an opinion is that you stood up for yourself but you think people don't believe you will succeed or they are sabotaging you. I dunno. Dreams are hard to deal with.

Hoping you have a good nights sleep. I started Gabapentin and I ended up staying up until it was day light and slept till noon then hustled. Its hard to figure out where I misplaced tools while drunk because I need them for a job like then and now. Stressful. Should be around 8 for you now in Cali.

Computer viruses I don't suffer from because of safe computing and my computer network is isolated from everyone else that uses the same subnet so I can control what goes in and out. So if someone makes a mistake (was stupid), its spotted quite easily. Gmail blocks most of it. Good luck. I know what I would do if you had one or two terminals running virus free would be to snatch the entire database then completely disconnect and setup an entirely new network to work on while the virus is isolated. But I'm a geek. Hope it works out well and enjoy your night!
      "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Nora that nightmare sounds awful, you poor thingl I've never had a drinking dream, but a couple of months ago I dreamt I was smoking, and I haven't smoked for at least 25 years! Anyway at least you know that you can beat your boss with this one, because you won't ever need that whiskey or anything like it again. xx
        There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
        You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Poor password control can give access to a system, I can remote systems with my phone as though I'm actually using that computer, software like RDP, Splashtop, Teamviewer and the recent lastpass hack and yahoo millions of contact/password grab leaves networks wide open. Poor wifi control or even an infected phone or usb stick can do anything depending on the network. Once someone has control they can run anything they want and its incredibly hard to stop once infected. With multiple people on a network it really is up to the IT department to be educated and take the time to control the network. Rotating password requirements, zero allowance of personal devices on the network. Blocking facebook and anything that has potential like twitter. Zero day hacks are even harder to stop because there is nothing yet to stop them until a patch is issued and antivirus companies which employ hackers tear down these hacks from top down to figure out what the heck is happening. The conspiracy theorist in me from what I know has happened in the past is that maybe someone is trying to hide something. Who knows. Not sure where you work nor is it my business. Some TV shows are accurate like Mr. Robot (can't wait for the next season). That is real. That is actually how things work, not glorified NCIS, etc.

My little rant about viruses. I hope it all works out!

Totally off topic and irrelevant to the forum. Sorry.
          "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Empy it's funny you should say that. I've had terrible trouble for the last couple of months or so accessing my university account and the IT desk have been no help at all. Ironically, you could probably hack into it easier than I can get in with a legitimate password.
            There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
            You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Hi everyone. Thanks for the condolences and PM's from other threads. I just received the papers from the funeral home for me to authorize the cremation, ugh.

Up until a few (5-10 yrs) ago we had a very successful marriage. He took early retirement and he had been a Sr. Executive with lots of people under him so hen he didn't have that he started managing me. That didn't work well and then I became a fish widow. We spoke just a few days before he passed and when I think of him now it's in our good years.

His last day could have been scripted by him. he was fishing with his son and grandson and he went back to the car while the other 2 cleaned the fish, By the time they got back to the car he was gone. His son is a dr. and worked on him until a helicopter arrived but to no avail. He had heart issues for many years, not the heart itself but the plumbing and veins in the heart. He had 2 open heart surgeries a stent put in less than a year ago and had 2 anneurisms in his ankle which led to an amputation above the knee. He hated hospitals and wasn't a good patient, so if they had found something which would have have taken him in hospital for an extended stay it would have been torture, so his last day was a good one.

I was remiss in not welcoming Bird back, along with Catch22. Welcome back.

There have been some really great posts this month, thanks to the posters.

Glassie, with all the meds, let's hope for a decent recovery and hopefully a short one.

I hope Liz is doing okay.

Empy, I didn't take my computer to Mexico, but when I got back I had no audio despite trying MS advice and google.
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

:hug:Skendall,you must be feeling so many conflicting emotions right now,thinking of you
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Prayers and thoughts with you, SK.
                  Last edited by dill; September 4, 2017, 07:11 AM.
                  Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good Morning and Happy Labor Day to all my US-based friends here!

Nora-what a terrifying nightmare...I bet you were just shaking when you woke up.:hug: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for emailing me detailed instructions on how to upload photos to MWO. You unselfish and kind woman...you have the patience of a saint!:heartbeat: I am watching the news and I am looking at the wildfires in the LA area...wow, we're either burning up here in the US or we are being flooded out...and now we are expecting another hurricane! Prayers to people in CA and TX!

Empy-I have never seen Mr. Robot but now you have piqued my interest.;-). You are on GABA, too...so am I...600 mgs at night. Is it for nerve-related pain? I have 2 herniated discs in my neck and it's the only thing that helps...otherwise, the pain is unbearable. I only have one depressing side effect....weight gain. UGH. Oh well...at least I can function and the pain is manageable.

Glassie-how are you feeling? Is there some way you can re-schedule your Father's Day plans?

Liz, dear...we are all pulling for you here. We miss your sweet voice but I know you need space right now. Take all the space you need.:hug:

Big hellos to anyone I missed...pauly, bird, catch, Mr. V, techie, et al. Happy Monday!

Sorry, [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION]....cross post! Great to see you!!

Comment

Happy Monday. I slept in after I finally manged to get my alarms turned off. Yes - it was the same situation I have described before. The alarm goes off, I realize I don't have to go to work, the struggle to pick up the phone and solve the simple math problems to turn the alarm off. Squinting and moving phone closer & further from my eyes. Answer 6+7 = 13. WRONG - what? Oh, that's 8+7=15. WRONG. Oh shit - realize I will have to put my glasses on. During this period of time, the volume is increasing on the alarm.
                      Quickly try to get my head phones off. Oh no, wrapped around my neck! Trying to unwrap those & get my c-pap mask off. Finally get the mask off and it's tangled in the headphones which are still wrapped around my neck. I just let them hang there while I grab for my glasses. I finally answer the 3 simple math questions. Success!
                      I lay back down & struggle to get the mask & headphones untangled. Hubby walked in the bedroom and said what are you doing? LOL I said I'm going back to sleep. And I did! :rotlf:
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

SK - sorry to hear about your husband. You have been in my thoughts. When do you leave? Are you driving?
                        Last edited by NoraC; September 4, 2017, 08:12 PM.
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hey guys. Just a quick pop in to let you know I'm doing ok. Logan was here today. We just relax.
                          Wishing you all a good night

Comment

Nora. The service will be approx 9\16. He is in Michigan so I won't driving.
                            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Glad that you don't have to drive. I knew it was in Michigan and thought it would be terrible for your health conditions.

Liz - good to see you :hug: Glad you were able to enjoy Logan.

Glassie - I have been thinking of you so much. Sending you lots of healthy vibes.

Rusty - I forgot to tell you that our long days start tomorrow. Are we ready? :rotlf:

Techie - hope you are enjoying your East coast visit.

Pauly - did you put off the California visit? Did I see that your son has a job?

TMH - you are always so busy. Hope you are having a good one.

Waves to everyone. I'm going to hit the sack early tonight. I want to get to work early. Night
                              Last edited by NoraC; September 6, 2017, 09:06 PM.
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi all:heartbeat:
                                Skendall, reading your post it sounds like your Ex passed away peacefully at a lovely place where he likes fishing known that he was with the grandkids . Your in my thoughts :hug:
                                NoraC love reading your post it always good to have a early night. Hope you slept well.
                                Glassie, missing you and only just come on here, hope all is well :heartbeat:
                                LiZ, glad your finger welliott x
                                Rusy, you have had it bad over where you live. The hurricanes are bad, hope you are safe x
                                Pauly, Mr V, techic, birdb & drill big hello hope I have not forgotten anyone if so big hug x
                                Yesterday I had a great day with the grandkids took them to see Sherk Adventure Tour and Rainforest Restaurant afterwards. I would not have been able to do this if i was still drinking. So grateful that I can be able to do this. The kids enjoyed every minute and so did I, am a big kid at heart :heartbeat:

Xcatch22X
                                Last edited by catch22; September 5, 2017, 12:10 AM.
                                Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                                sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                                my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Working...
                                X