Join the Army Against Alcohol-September 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Join the Army Against Alcohol-September 2017

This is where I was in Greece - same time as Molls.
    Same Island but different part......
    This doesn't do it justice. We travelled a few miles to a deserted beach with huge waves. Called Tiopetra - after the 3 rocks in the photo.

A guy had built an old shack in the shape of a shipwreck - rough & ready but amazing and we ate traditional greek bits & pieces. And vegged for about 5 hours a day.

Last edited by satz123; September 22, 2017, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RunningCourage View Post
      evening troops,

hope youse are all having a lovely thursday evening. not much to report this end. still musing and thinking about thoughts and how thoughts are supposedly only thoughts and not actual reality as is set before us... yet how these thoughts (that I have) can make us act (or not) in ways that aren't probably in our best interests. I'm quite sure we all experience it daily to some degree... the "i'm not good enough" thoughts, or thoughts that become reasons for not doing something that we otherwise would (if we were younger, braver, less self-conscious etc).

I've been trying some (very ad-hoc) meditation in the mornings to see if I can help cease useless/negative thoughts, and to try and have myself be more conscious of reactions/feelings during the day. Dunno if it helps, yet... But i kinda like it. The bugger is, with trying to stop negative/illogical/unreasoned thoughts, well, it's really hard! And sometimes it seems easier to just continue with the internal narrative status quo.

I'm not sure, but I think one of the many reasons I'd drink, and usually towards drunkenness, was to escape the narrative, or at least make the narrative not so raw feeling. It became an elixir to the thunder and war of thoughts and words in my head, all talking to me.
      Funny that I landed on this post Mr D'Arcy - just watching some tv only yesterday and a book 'The Power of I AM' was discussed - addressing that very thing of internal narrative and how to change it. Maybe worth a look. ?

Comment

Hello darlinks!!! Good to see you back Benj -- sorry bout AJ - he'll get it -- he'll have to -- honest soldier :-)
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Crete is beautiful - and sort of mad -- 150 metres past a very big busy port we found an isolated little sandy beach with rocks going out into the sea that we could dive off into deep turquoise water.. so different to the long sandy beach on the other side which was also lovely mind you -- and the little cafés -- Christ - the food was amazing - salads to die for - and for next to nothing -- spent feck all tbh

Comment

ah yes -- that inner dialogue -- I find I'm worst at night when the world is asleep - okay during the day when I'm busy -- my solution was/is simple really -- put an audio book under my pillow and when the 1/2/3am wakening and thoughts start - in the headphones go and I drift off into the world of fantasy --

Comment

Same here - spent very little compared to other places ............

Think I'll have to bang Arcey's & AJ's heads together to knock all the jibberish out :haha:

Comment

and yours Molls

Comment

I find I'm wanting to sit here and veg. But Mr S is like he has ants in his pants and driving me 'mad'.
                  Am I lazy or just want peace ?

mmmmmm ???

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                    I find I'm wanting to sit here and veg. But Mr S is like he has ants in his pants and driving me 'mad'.
                    Am I lazy or just want peace ?

mmmmmm ???
                    Nothing lazy about it - particularly when you go out to work... Joe is normally exactly the same as Mr S but his foot is still not fully recovered so he forceably had to have a somewhat lazier holiday than he normally would - and d'ya know -- he loved it.. he came home rested and his foot is SO much better cos he DID give it a chance to heal -- I think he realises a little bit the need sometimes to do nothing.. I don't feel the slightest bit guilty when I have a veg day - work hard enough the other 5

Comment

Mind you - he's got himself a right big belly since he broke his foot so I think the walking me come back sooner rather than later!

Comment

This is where I was in Greece - same time as Molls.
                        Same Island but different part......
                        This doesn't do it justice. We travelled a few miles to a deserted beach with huge waves. Called Tiopetra - after the 3 rocks in the photo.

A guy had built an old shack in the shape of a shipwreck - rough & ready but amazing and we ate traditional greek bits & pieces. And vegged for about 5 hours a day.

JEALOUS :cuss: (der was a stampy feet emoji i liked, but i is not paid up no more, so canny get it...)

Funny that I landed on this post Mr D'Arcy - just watching some tv only yesterday and a book 'The Power of I AM' was discussed - addressing that very thing of internal narrative and how to change it. Maybe worth a look. ?
                        Thanks Doc - gonna check it out. And GOOD to see ya back here

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                        ah yes -- that inner dialogue -- I find I'm worst at night when the world is asleep - okay during the day when I'm busy -- my solution was/is simple really -- put an audio book under my pillow and when the 1/2/3am wakening and thoughts start - in the headphones go and I drift off into the world of fantasy --
                        Never thought about doing that Molls, I just lies there and tries to breath deeply... though yon inner dialogue / brain thoughts most often take over... maybe I'll try some quiet chilled music... a good friend/old flatmate suggested I do meditating in the evenings to curb bad thoughts / over thinking / drinking. Never did it really, though often do a wee meditation session in the mornings.

Evenings and mornings are so different though...

Big hellos (g'nights) to youse all.

Comment

Morning barmies! Joe still considers 7.30 a lie in - even of a saturday!!! How's all - and wonder how the nandos birthday party went?

Comment

Good morning everyone. :welcome: back Molly and Satz. Looks fabulous, must put it on my list. Had planned to go off on a long hike this morning but weather not great so might leave until tomorrow. Have the place to myself so I can veg in peace. Spent all yesterday afternoon crocheting, bliss. I find the only time I have monkey chatter at night is if there is something bothering/worrying me. Most of the time I sleep right through. Can't do meditation at night I go right off to 😴 Sleep.

Comment

I do believe we can choose our mood - it's not pre-ordained - now having said that I do have to fight my inner gloom regularly - but there is a positive side to almost all conditions - bar death and Trump mebbe:happy2:

Comment

Xpost rusters - sleep is invaluable - and the ability to just cut off problems

Comment

Working...
                                X