Join the Army Against Alcohol - October 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Join the Army Against Alcohol - October 2017

This conversation has come at a good time for me, on about 5 1/2 months now, thinking that beer in the pub sounds good. I could just have 1 or 2. Think again.
    Thanks all.

Comment

Hello Army!!!

First of all - and I know I'm late saying this - a huge THANK YOU to all of you for your kind words and wishes. I won't mention each of you by name cause then I'd have to @ Molly and she'd hate that!!:happy2:

Another sober Sunday for me as well after a rather hectic week. Youngest grandbaby got baptized yesterday - he is now called Albert or "Alvertos" as is the Greek version of the name. He had been in hospital since Monday night with a bronchial infection and luckily was released on Friday morning. His god-mother had flown in from Belgium for the baptism so it wasn't like we could put it off or anything. I came down with a double eye infection that started on Thursday in my left eye and spread to my right eye on Friday. Huge black glasses did the trick at the baptism so that my very red and somewhat swollen eyes didn't show but doctor said not to have physical contact with my grandbabies for 10 days and that was hard. Anyway, the baptism went well and Baby Alvertos slept through the celebratory dinner that followed!! He's a beautiful, happy baby who looks more Irish than Greek. Blue eyes, very pale skin and blond/brown hair with a reddish tint. I hope he gets his Dad's freckles!!

I agree 100% with what Molls said about not beating ourselves up. We do need to remember what our drinking days were like and what could happen should we succumb to the temptation to have a drink but I think mostly we need to relish the sober life and be grateful that we are no longer chained to the bottle. As for having a good laugh - I laugh much more now that I did when I was drinking. I was an unhappy person for most of the years that I drank and the fact that I was drinking was one of the things that took away my ability to enjoy the things around me and to see the humour in situations. I now find myself laughing til I cry sometimes and it is wonderful to have that back again.

Jackie - glad you enjoyed your day - nothing like that would ever happen over here. There are centers for recovery, of course, but they are not advertised and I don't even know where you'd find them. Maybe through your GP.

Rustytop - enjoy your walk. Temps are kind of cool for us here today - 22C but windy so it feels much cooler. I'll be staying indoors most of the day simply because I don't want to take the chance of having a piece of grit or something blown into one of my very fragile eyes..

Big waves to KTAB, Rusty, Tony, Mary, Emp, Satz, Mr. V and anyone else who might be lurking or drop by later.

Hope you all enjoy your day!!!!!

Last edited by stirly-girly; October 15, 2017, 06:20 AM.
      For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Good Morning, Army Troops Around the Globe,

Wonderful to see this thread active and lively, with thoughtful conversation.

First off, [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION], CONGRATULATIONS ON 5 1/2 MONTHS AF!!!!:welldone: Wow, where does the time go?
        [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION], my family NEVER brings up my drinking because they know I beat myself up about it for years and they do not want to hurt me. Like Tabbers, there were MANY times when I went to work, still under the influence from the night before, and a handful of occasions where I drank before work, and then tried furiously to down coffee, brush my teeth, use gum...praying no one would smell it. I'm sure they did. CRINGE

Jackie-Oooh....chocolate chip cookies sound SO good right now and it's only 6:37 AM. I slept in today, friends, until 6:00 AM and I feel like I am SO behind in my work now. haha

Stirly-so glad you got to go to the baptism. Love the baby's name. My niece's husband is Greek and his last name has ELEVEN letters in it. Hahah! He is adorable and I love his parents. His Mom makes delicious Greek pastries for all the holidays. Guaranteed to put 3 lbs. on me within a week.

Big helloooos to satz, Molly, rustop, tony, and anyone I missed, happy peaceful Sunday!:love:

Comment

Good morning to all - and well done Mr Vervill!! funny -- dates seem to be a trigger -- or rather - multiple of dates -- the 3's were more my fall down 3 weeks - 3 months -- whereas I know plenty at the 6 month mark - I dunno - maybe it's the distance from the problems that the alcohol caused and it gets forgotten - not sure -- but yeah - well that's why support is probably essential really to keep us reminded...
          Temps around the same here Stirly - - but some level of hurricane Ophelia is heading our way and pushing warm temps in ahead of it - major weather warnings being issued by the hour s'posed to be here tomorrow -- having a lovely lazy day on my own today -- that is a TRUE novelty!!! enjoying it so much

Howdy Rusty! My family rarely mention my drinking - in fact - almost never -- nearly like it never happened -- but it DID!!!!
          Last edited by mollyka; October 15, 2017, 08:10 AM.
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Evening,
            [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION].........have to do a big :thumbsup: for you.

[MENTION=1214]Rusty[/MENTION]..........there's no right or wrong time for a chocolate brownie.........especially with Cornish icecream. Breakfast, lunch or dinner or all 3

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]........very film starrish and mysterious with the dark glasses. Having close ties with AA, NA etc just through working on reception its suddenly dawned on me there's a blooming sight more than just the meetings. I've yet to come across anyone who's doubtful of the kind of sobriety I have from an on-line forum. I reckon there's a shift in their thinking over the last 9/10 years since I was in the rooms when it was very much their way or no way.

Its okay Molls, I've run out of @@@@s so you're safe.

Jenny was at a baby shower today. She got a lovely friend who already has a boy and a girl both under 4 and decided on a third.............didn't go to plan as the friend's having twins..........geez 4 babies under 5
            It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening..
              So the entire island is on RED alert, the county is shutting down altogether. Schools all closed, my place are closed (yay). Seems v dramatic, but thats probably because we never get anything this this!
              Id say Molly's off? hope the rest of you are staying put?
              JC, looks like your avoiding the worst of it? Maybe not Tony and Arsie though??

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
              Jenny was at a baby shower today. She got a lovely friend who already has a boy and a girl both under 4 and decided on a third.............didn't go to plan as the friend's having twins..........geez 4 babies under 5
              :egad:
              AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]..........I've just had a look at the weather warnings and its just missing us and going up through Scotland.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Yay just got text from boss - closed !! Like a millpond at the mo;-)

Comment

Poor Owen is starting his new job today and there were no buses! Adam also starting one but at least he can walk!!

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                      Poor Owen is starting his new job today and there were no buses! Adam also starting one but at least he can walk!!
                      Like a ghost town out there. I went into work but was sent home again. Happy days, just brought in loads of logs and have torches/candles/food, crochet and a book. Pity people who have to travel, I was worried about coming home in it. If I loose power I’ll check in when I get a chance. Keep safe everyone.

Comment

Morning folks, not working today anyway so I don't get a day off (insert confused face icon here) Been out securing what needs securing in the garden and listen to weather reports, it sounds rough down south alright.
                        Last edited by Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB); October 16, 2017, 03:46 AM.
                        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

You two will get hit first - mind you - it's gettin dead windy:victorious:

Comment

I will be reporting from the front line so. Thats all for now, signing off: Tabbers (A.K.A. Kate Adie)
                            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB) View Post
                              I will be reporting from the front line so. Thats all for now, signing off: Tabbers (A.K.A. Kate Adie)
                              :applouse::applouse::applouse:

Comment

Originally posted by Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB) View Post
                                :harhar:

My Gran always used to say it must be something serious if they've sent Kate Adie.

We're just getting the tale end of Ophelia..........the weird thing is its very overcast and like late evening and its as still as a mill pond..
                                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X