Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Join the Army Against Alcohol - October 2017

Now just read this quote :
    by Fridtjof Nansen Norwegian explorer ( and a VIP apparently)

"I demolish my bridges behind me...then there is no choice but to move forward"

So maybe burning bridges is not a negative thing ???

Comment

Originally posted by Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB) View Post
      Great Stirly, I love logging on and reading of your heading into year three of sobriety, 'tis lovely.
      Yes Stirls - as we Greeks say
      μπράβο !!! ( BRAVO)

( shurrup yous laughin' :rant: - my DNA test said I was 4% Greek )

Comment

Yep........I would say it is a good thing........you've got to move forward if you've burnt your bridges.........or am I being too symplistic.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Did you really do a DNA test Satz?
          [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION], well done Missus, you are brilliant. Loads on your plate and your still determined and focused. Molly says the odds are good for us now, so yee-haw!

Love that cake JC.
          AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
            Yep........I would say it is a good thing........you've got to move forward if you've burnt your bridges.........or am I being too symplistic.
            but is he suggesting that we must burn our bridges, in order to move forward??

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
              but is he suggesting that we must burn our bridges, in order to move forward??
              Crikey missus.......it looks like he deliberately burnt his to move forward..........whereas many may have done them without thought or reason........and are forced to move forward.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                Crikey missus.......it looks like he deliberately burnt his to move forward..........whereas many may have done them without thought or reason........and are forced to move forward.
                interesting.. suppose we all had to burn a few bridges, purposely, to move on too.. take a step back from the boozy crowd.

Comment

Morning lovelies

well I'm a simplistic sort of person... (keep it simple -- motto of AA) - so rather than delving into the depths of the 'burning bridges' phrase - I took it literally -- I needed to have no 'bridges' to my addiction - my drinking friends as Mary says - tick -- earlier on - trigger situations - lively bars/boozy parties/cruises/holidays/weddings -- that sort of thing -- tick - most importantly tho for me -- I thought/think through EVERY eventuality that could or probably will happen in my life and how I feel I would react - e.g. death of a family member - major life crisis - that sort of thing - and if I think that the bottle COULD be something that may be attractive or that in any way I 'would deserve a drink' -- good god - that needed to be examined and ALL the thinking behind that... that bridge -- that bridge to my alcoholism - that there was SOMETHING or SOMEONE out there that could trigger my addiction -- and of course none of us know how we'll deal with things - but we need to prepare for stuff

How simplistic is that -- but it works for me -- norra bridge in sight ;-)
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

This burning bridges thing. I think that it is important to burn some - those are the ones where if you crossed back over the bridge you would be needlessly putting yourself into a situation involving others drinking, when there is no need to do so. I also think, however, that there are certain bridges which will not burn - the ones where you are expected to show up at a family gathering, or even host one. Hosting is easier in my view because you can always fill a wine glass with apple juice or Ribena and keep it full so that when someone offers you a drink you can simply say "Thanks but I've got one at the moment".

When attending any other gathering the other side of the bridge the medication answer is a good one.

I hope that one day I can get to the stage where I feel comfortable with saying "no thanks, I'm an alcoholic and I haven't had a drink in x months (or years) and if I have one I know I'll drink the bar dry". There is an older guy in the next village to us who does that - the date he gives is some time in the early 80's! So I would say burn what bridges you can, and for those you can't put on all your armour before you cross...
                    Last edited by tonyniceday; October 11, 2017, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Big congrats on 2 years, Stirly! Inspiring!

Comment

Happy 2nd birthday Stirly, great and fabulous work. Have a happy day.
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Congrats Stirly, as the others say inspiring to those of us coming behind. Thanks for that insight Molly. The last time I lapsed in the summer it was sheer lack of thought and planning. Offered wine when not expected and automatically accepted :sad: Was only thinking ahead about Christmas the other day, need to have a plan in place. Jesus not even Halloween yet should not have said the C word:happy2:

Comment

Evening troops...

Gonna think about this bridge burning. ... Suppose we only build bridges when we want/need to move forward. Like 'building bridges to make amends (for something or another)' is to move forward/on from a negative situation/place. So as long as we're no burning the bridges we've yet to cross, and only the ones we're leaving behind, that all makes sense. Dinnit? Does to me. But i've got a small pooh-bear brain. Am all thinked out now...

At Uni this evening with a network I am part of - Philosophy with Children (I did a PGCert in it and my masters dissertation is on it). Probably one of the most satisfying things I belong to. Also the thing I enjoy doing most with kids.

Big waves to youse all... off to me leaba shortly so as i can wake up at 3am and say "oooh, it's still last night".... joke.
                            Last edited by RunningCourage; October 11, 2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Yeah simples - never look back - unless it's to see how far you've come and that shitty half-life in flames.
                              Burn all those dodgy bridges & move the feck forward. :llama:

Comment

Hello all..
                                I like the sound of Philosophy with kids Arsie. I studied Philosophy a long long time ago and had no appreciation for it then, Id love to have the time to give it now. One day..

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                                I thought/think through EVERY eventuality that could or probably will happen in my life and how I feel I would react - e.g. death of a family member - major life crisis - that sort of thing - and if I think that the bottle COULD be something that may be attractive or that in any way I 'would deserve a drink'
                                I do that too Molly, but the strange thing is, the crisis situations, or anything close to it in the last 2 years, dont phase me.. Its the nothing days that a notion can come over me.. making the dinner on a sunday afternoon or watching telly and the hero is tucking into a glass of not ribena.
                                Your right [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION].. we need a plan for the mundane and the big C stuff.

[MENTION=23019]tonyniceday[/MENTION] You WILL get to that stage. Youve got this.

Comment

Working...
                                X