• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Join the Army Against Alcohol - October 2017

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
    Evening all..
    Yes interesting.
    I wasn't a morning drinker either and 'controlled' my drinking enough during the week to look like I was coping perfectly.. but I wasn't. Drink consumed me. If I wasn't having it on the sly, I was gritting my teeth until I'd allow myself to have one. So many head games.. don't drink until just before bed, then have a quick enormous glass. Have a few drinks early, then bed early. Have a casual normal glass and a mug of wine somewhere else.. weekends had no rules, Mondays were shit. So, I wasn't drinking alcoholicly every night, but I was drinking every night and it was not a 'normal'.
    Yep me too, every single night and sometimes days too for years, no, decades. Some days I didn't even want it, but I took it, a bit like a reverse medicine I felt unable to do without. I honestly thought I would never escape the endless cycle no matter how sick and tired I become of constantly being sick and tired. But I did. Occasionally I think about the odd few beers in the pub through rose tinted specs looking back longingly though a twisted memory of so called 'good times' conveniently setting aside the fast forward to ten pints and the horror show to come. But I have the AL devil by the tail now and he ain't ever getting loose to cause more pain, regrets and deep sadness to me and mine. A couple of pints in front of a log fire in the pub, don't make me laugh....
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Good morning folks.

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      Today is a day of significance and sadness for me, and also one of victory, I suppose. It was 9 years ago today that my family staged a surprise intervention and told me they thought I should go to rehab.."
      Well done, it is worth celebrating. A victory definitely.

When I told him I liked wine/vodka after work because I "deserved" it, he said, "no, you deserve to be healthy."
      He was 100% correct.

Comment

Morning - trying to work out when I started trying to sort this out - and actually - like rusty it would be nigh on 9 years - my mum died June 2008 and with a lot of horror going on around that time I started tackling it that Dec - so yeah 9 years almost -
        Unlike the rest of yiz can't abide the pub log fire or no - I couldn't substitute the glass contents cos I liked getting gently pissed by the fire - but that's ok for me - the things I regained interest in since quitting more than compensate for the pub
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Good morning lovelies,
          Off to a Woman in Recovery and Unity day.......its being held in the place I volunteer so know most of the women. Not sure what to expect but its a new one for me so its a case of nothing triednothing gained.

See yous in a longish bit.
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Enjoy Jackie - I'm going into town to meet my room-mate from the treatment centre - she's also still clean and sober and happily getting on with her life - she had horrible 'tales' to tell culminating in having to be brought home from work by her boss because she was drunk -- she is now his 2nd in command in a very big international company and travels round the world -- so yeah - we sure can turn our lives around

I was typing on my phone earlier so kept it short - and I do get it that some can literally just replace the liquid and still enjoy 'those' moments... I can't - I have to accept that - and of course - especially on holiday I could look at that cold glass of wine or glass of beer in someone's hand and think 'how lovely' -- but in my hand (in latter years) it was FAR from lovely and that's what I have to remember - I have to be honest here - that's what keeps me sober and in my case it would be disingenuous to say it's all the same - and I do sometimes miss that running off at the mouth and the hysterical laughing at fuck all etc etc -- but not often - and what has replaced that is happy calm and contented... I'll take it any day

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
              Enjoy Jackie - I'm going into town to meet my room-mate from the treatment centre - she's also still clean and sober and happily getting on with her life - she had horrible 'tales' to tell culminating in having to be brought home from work by her boss because she was drunk -- she is now his 2nd in command in a very big international company and travels round the world -- so yeah - we sure can turn our lives around

I was typing on my phone earlier so kept it short - and I do get it that some can literally just replace the liquid and still enjoy 'those' moments... I can't - I have to accept that - and of course - especially on holiday I could look at that cold glass of wine or glass of beer in someone's hand and think 'how lovely' -- but in my hand (in latter years) it was FAR from lovely and that's what I have to remember - I have to be honest here - that's what keeps me sober and in my case it would be disingenuous to say it's all the same - and I do sometimes miss that running off at the mouth and the hysterical laughing at fuck all etc etc -- but not often - and what has replaced that is happy calm and contented... I'll take it any day
              Hi everyone. Love hearing stories like this. Enjoy your outings JC and Molly. Well done on the 9 years Rusty. Regarding the hysterical laughing at sweet fanny Adams, had one of those moments in the woods this morning and not a drop involved, just two mad old ones enjoying lovely weather and an early morning walk.

Comment

Good Morning, Army Colleagues!:happy2:

KTAB/Tabbers...thank you for the kind wishes. I agree with you 100%.....can't ever go back....never WANT to go back to a life that is controlled by alcohol.

Molly-wow, what a success story your roommate has to keep her motivated to stay clean and sober. So glad the two of you can connect. :yay: The laws must be VERY different in Ireland than here. In the US, usually, if you are found to be under the influence of drugs and alcohol whilst on the job, you are immediately drug-tested. If the test comes back positive for drugs or alcohol, you are immediately terminated.
                [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION], I have been sober about 5 1/2 years, not 9. thank you for the compliment, though, and it's lovely to see you!

Jackie-can't wait to hear the outcome of the Recovery conference. I hope lots of people attend!

Off to grocery shop and work out...happy Saturday to all the others I missed... [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION], [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION], etc.

Comment

Good Morning, Army Colleagues!:happy2:

KTAB/Tabbers...thank you for the kind wishes. I agree with you 100%.....can't ever go back....never WANT to go back to a life that is controlled by alcohol.

Molly-wow, what a success story your roommate has to keep her motivated to stay clean and sober. So glad the two of you can connect. :yay: The laws must be VERY different in Ireland than here. In the US, usually, if you are found to be under the influence of drugs and alcohol whilst on the job, you are immediately drug-tested. If the test comes back positive for drugs or alcohol, you are immediately terminated.
                  [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION], I have been sober about 5 1/2 years, not 9. thank you for the compliment, though, and it's lovely to see you!

Jackie-can't wait to hear the outcome of the Recovery conference. I hope lots of people attend!

Off to grocery shop and work out...happy Saturday to all the others I missed... [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION], [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION], etc.
                  There is a lot of compassion in Ireland however if you were in anyway responsible for lives like a hospital or anything you'd be gone like a hot snot!! Ach yes rusty eile I can still be prone to the clench yer legs together in case of an accident sort of a laugh ;-)

Comment

Evening,
                    I'm shagged out. It was great. Must have been 50 women there. Two short talks to start with and do you know I can't for the life of me remember what the first one was about........it'll come to me probably about 3am....second was about addiction to sex which was not so much about the sex but the absolute wanting for affection and company.
                    Last one of the morning was about mindfulness........a wonderful gay Irish woman also in recovery who had us howling with laughter. So much so there's a few of us ( including me) signed up for her next short course.

Afternoon was different break off groups.......EFT tapping, creative writing, massage and arts and crafts...........needless to say I ended up in the arts one.........basically there were about 6 of us sitting round doing a wee bit of embroidery and having a good auld natter. We were making a sort of flag/banner thing.

So pleased for your room mate, Molls. Think it was compulsary to be drunk where I used to work but there again it was a wine merchant Actually when I worked in the bank Friday afternoons most of us where half way there after lunch..........don't think its like that these days though.

Same here in England, depends on the job.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening,
                      Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                      I have to accept that - and of course - especially on holiday I could look at that cold glass of wine or glass of beer in someone's hand and think 'how lovely' -- but in my hand (in latter years) it was FAR from lovely and that's what I have to remember - I have to be honest here - that's what keeps me sober and in my case it would be disingenuous to say it's all the same
                      Completely agree Molly, think that was the turning point for me, accepting this is not something thats in my control to change, so I have moved on, no point in dreaming.
                      I also accept that the sexy number on the mannequin will look hideous on me, no point dreaming there either :happy2:

Great story about your mate, fair play to her.

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                      So pleased for your room mate, Molls. Think it was compulsary to be drunk where I used to work but there again it was a wine merchant Actually when I worked in the bank Friday afternoons most of us where half way there after lunch..........don't think its like that these days though.
                      Same here in England, depends on the job.
                      Friday afternoons, all day and night..god yes, what a waste...Its definitely the same in some sectors. My friend works in sales - they have the weekly all staff meeting at 4 every friday, free bar every week.
                      I would be fired immediately, but thats cos of my industry.

[MENTION=1214]Rusty[/MENTION], 5.5 years, wow! I know your family intervened.. do you talk to them about it much now?
                      Last edited by IamMary; October 14, 2017, 05:03 PM.
                      AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by rustop59 View Post
                        hysterical laughing at sweet fanny Adams, had one of those moments in the woods this morning and not a drop involved, just two mad old ones enjoying lovely weather and an early morning walk.
                        Love that :happy2:
                        AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Good morning all to a hangover free Sunday morning, I was going to say bright and early but it is still dark out.
                          Regarding work, I was drunk many times on the job, not falling around drunk but under the influence and only once was I called out on it by management. I was mortified. I was asked had I been drinking that morning and used the excuse that no but I had been out very late. When I think back I must always have smelt of stale alcohol yuk, no double yuk. And me thinking no one could smell it....or more likely trying to convince myself that was the case. Cringing here now but lest I forget another reason never to go back to that horrible place that was my life.

Comment

Morning..........just popped some chocolate chip brownies in the oven........had a real craving so either I'm pregnant or I'm a greedy mare. At my age being pregnant would be a miracle so I suspect its the latter.

Oh Tabbers, I've gone round all day when I was working wondering who the hell was smelling of stale booze............and it was me :sad:
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning -- think it's important to remember - but not to whack ourselves over the head constantly - that's not what we are now and that's what's important. If we constantly feel bad about ourselves - we may as well be dumb lushes... imo...

Comment

Morning. Think its a bit like unhungover Sunday mornings, one more thing to be grateful for. Bit windy here, will pass on the chocolate brownies JC and brave the woods for brisk walk.

Comment

Working...
                                X