Liver Function Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liver Function Tests

Hello Everyone, I am back after a couple of years drinking heavily again. This time I am really worried. My Dr has advised me my Liver Test results show an ALP enzyme reading of 250, 4 times higher than the norm. I have seen 2 Drs in 2 days and am very confused. Would just love some honest advice. One Dr says it's a normal elevation and to cut back on booze the other says it's dangerous and I should just stop drinking immediately. Does anyone have experience at what theses results mean ? How high can an Alp enzyme get to before your liver is wrecked completely? Thanks

Re: Liver Function Tests

I don't know what the tests mean. Big question is have you stopped drinking yet? Maybe there is a chance for your liver to heal. Good luck.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Still drinking. I know if I continue on this destructive path, it will kill me in the next few years!

Comment

Is your plan to stop drinking? I have to agree that continuing on this path will end up killing you. I know that I was definitely on that path. I hope that you can grab on here and stop drinking.
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I hope someone with more knowledge about the blood test results pops in soon.
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

welcome need to. I would believe the 2nd dr and say they are too high and the only way they will go back down is if you stop drinking. What advice are you looking for? Even dr google will tell you that your liver levels are too high. Sorry to be so blunt but the liver can be destroyed, even if it is the most resilient organ in the body there is only so much it can take. My liver levels when i stopped drinking were pretty well normal after 4 weeks but i have damaged my kidneys by drinking. It is not only the liver that alcohol destroys it is other organs also. We have all been where you have with regards to drinking and we have all thought we could be ok if we slow down our drinking but us alkies cant have just one drink.

Your test results will change if you stop drinking they wont change if you do keep drinking.

I hope you join in and we can help you along the way.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks Available. You make a lot of sense! My life is now a f....g mess! I just don't know how or where to get out of this crap life! I have beautiful family none of whom know the agony I suffer each day. Hid it for years!

Comment

Listen to [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION], she has excellent advise! My liver enzymes were also very high, but did come back down to normal after a month of not drinking. My Dr. told me that the liver doesn't always come back like that, and I'm very grateful that mine did. Your body is trying to tell you something, and you would be wise to heed that warning. This is a great place to start....lots of nonjudgmental help and support. Stick around!

Comment

It can change needto you only need to take that first scary step. I can guarantee that after a time from not drinking that you will wonder why you ever wanted to drink. I still plod along each and every day and am grateful each and every day not to drink. Its hard but its doable. only an alkie can understand another alkies thinking and reasoning. You only need to do 30 days and see how you feel, dont say forever thats too far away. Take it day by day and see where it leads.
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Listen to [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION], she has excellent advise! My liver enzymes were also very high, but did come back down to normal after a month of not drinking. My Dr. told me that the liver doesn't always come back like that, and I'm very grateful that mine did. Your body is trying to tell you something, and you would be wise to heed that warning. This is a great place to start....lots of nonjudgmental help and support. Stick around!

Comment

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. ~Francis of Assisi

This is the quote of the day I posted over in the Café thread today. You can start today by doing what's necessary. Get all the booze out of your house. We all here know how impossible life without alcohol looks to you right now. But life with alcohol is more impossible! It isn't living! It doesn't matter which doctor is "right" about the levels. The doctor that says you must stop drinking is the giving the right advice. You can't simply 'cut back'. It isn't in your DNA.

I realize you weren't asking for advice, but I recommend you stick around MWO this time, and try to get into a support group in your area if you can. Check in here on MWO daily. Stop by the Café thread and make a commitment each day to 24 hours.

Best wishes to you, Need.

One of our best friends, after a lifetime of drinking, is now in such poor condition that he is trying to get on a liver transplant list. His liver is shot. He feels awful and is just hanging on. Believe me: You don't want that to be you!
                      Last edited by dill; April 17, 2018, 06:06 AM.
                      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Great advice here.

Come clean with your family, or at least a good friend, and take that first step toward freedom. It is WORTH it. Therapist? AA meeting? Sober friend? You can do this!

Comment

Needto - you have taken this as far as it can go. 40 years is a good innings.
                          Cut your losses , pick a day to be Day 1 - and do it.

If you need to read & post here for a while as you adjust to the idea of your day 1 coming up soon then do that.
                          Then never say never - that's too daunting at the beginning.
                          My strategy for day 1 - and it took a while to get the courage - as I said on another thread - was fill up with a shitload of carbs, rest up and then day 1 is over.

HAve your family not noticed you drink to excess ?
                          Last edited by satz123; April 17, 2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I remember available when I quit the cigs. It was incredibly hard, but after numerous attempts I beat it! That was 30yrs ago. Like al I wonder why I ever smoked!

Comment

Thanks Available. I am trying to clutch anything that's positive at the moment. The idea that a Liver can recover in 4 weeks is pretty exciting Although I am sure there are lots of factors involved as to how long it may take. How long, how much booze etc Do you recall your alp enzyme readings?

Comment

Working...
                              X