Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: October Army Thread 2019

Originally posted by rustop59 View Post
    Do you mean the tinternet JC or traffic on the site? Seems to be only a few of us who check in consistently. We have lost a lot of the troops, hope it is just that they are busy and not that they have been sucked back down the rabbit hole of addiction.
    Tinternet.
    I've never forgotten and will never forget the misery of my last relapse.
    It might mean today is just the mundane stuff like tomorrow I'm getting new skirting boards but strangers in the house used to huge triggers for me so checking in is vital to me.
    Its also my ear trumpet checkup tomorrow. Think my right ear-hole is deteriorating
    How exciting can a Wednesday get?
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
      Is it me or is MWO running at snail's pace?
      It's you Jacks :haha:

Comment

only a few of us who check in consistently. We have lost a lot of the troops, hope it is just that they are busy and not that they have been sucked back down the rabbit hole of addiction.
        Well Rustytops we'll never know 'till they come back and tell us !! And if they are not coming back just say so ......... just to disappear is not nice.
        As I said before if they are drinking I can understand the embarrassment - but staying away waiting to get sober first is crazy ...... this is where they ought to be. IMVHO

& God knows none of us can afford to judge .........................

Comment

Just a quickie, don't have time to scratch this week.
          New nephew, YaY!

Didnt hear that thunder either and im only up the road Molly!
          Good luck tomorrow JC..
          :sleeping:
          AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Good morning Ladies of the Army!!!

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
            Mornin' all - well no thunder I could hear Molls over the shaggin din at reception last night.
            Jesus they were all at it
            - I want to go home
            - I want my mother
            - I want a banana

- & that was just the staff :hahaha:
            Satzybum - that made me laugh out loud - great way to start my day!!! (akshully it started almost 2 hours ago but that doesn't count since it was still dark as pitch out.)
            Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
            Quickest of check ins. Finished up a paint project after work and late to bed. I'll be a sorry one tomorrow.
            See you all on the flip side.
            Hope you get a good night's rest, Bridge. Do we get pictures of the project? I assume it's the chalk paint table you're talking about. Really like the effect it gives.
            Originally posted by IamMary View Post
            Just a quickie, don't have time to scratch this week.
            New nephew, YaY!

Didnt hear that thunder either and im only up the road Molly!
            Good luck tomorrow JC..
            Congrats on the new nephew, Mers. Love, love, love babies!!!
            I was thinking that some of us live a very privileged life - maybe [MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION] had her own personal thunder and lightning show. You know - like a celebrity or somefink....
            [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION] - hope things go well with your oto check (Greek for hearing)
            [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION] - I don't crochet much any more but enjoyed it when I did. My one wrist complains when I knit or crochet anymore. However, here in Greece, crocheted handbags have been the rage for the last year or so. They have some gorgeous ones - beautiful yarns and handles. Rather pricey but very impressive. Have you ever tried something like that?

Just to reiterate what the others have said as far as our troops who have gone AWOL - anyone who has been here for any length of time knows that there is no judgement on anyone's part towards anyone here in the Army or generally at MWO for that matter. We have all been where you are - and many times, for most of us. The decision to get sober is yours, as is the decision to again take that first drink. If you want to get back on the wagon or you're feeling wobbly due to cravings or whatever, there is, as you all know - a ton of support and understanding on MWO. All you have to do is poke your nose in. We're here. Each and every one of us who posts here has your back. We understand.

Off to get some work done. Will try to check back in later. Have a smashing day Army!!!!!!!!!! inkele::spin:
            Last edited by stirly-girly; October 16, 2019, 12:11 AM.
            For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
            AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Morning!! Haha well the proof was ..we were having a visit from Prosper (an organisation that looks after disabled people) and half were entranced at the the thunder and bless them..the other half were terrified! Must have come in from the sea..it's just behind us.
              The problem with coming here when drinking ..it isn't as simple as wanting to give up and just not looking for help..a lot of the time when relapsed ..you mightnt always WANT to give up..that's not a given..so until another black hole moment comes this may be the last place they want to be?? Just a thought
              Good morning..on phone so ..
              Last edited by mollyka; October 16, 2019, 01:50 AM.
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Morning,
                It's you Jacks :haha:
                Ya cheeky mare.........
                Better get on with the ear-trumpet check-up..........sigh.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning. Good luck with the ear trumpet JC. Congratulations Aunty Mary, nothing like a new baby.

Think you could be right Molly, wonder how many of us found this place after a black hole moment. Personally staying away for me made it easier to drink and I was not reminded daily of what a contented alcohol free lifestyle was like so I could delude myself that I was not so bad. That was until I had a black hole moment and then back I came! Checking in daily keeps me on the straight and narrow. Sometimes real life takes over and it is not easy but definitely worthwhile. As Stirly said no judgement here, we have all been there.

Comment

Personally staying away for me made it easier to drink and I was not reminded daily of what a contented alcohol free lifestyle was like so I could delude myself that I was not so bad
                    Yep, that, too. Deluding ourselves. Saying we would get through the weekend and stop on Monday, - just never said which Monday we meant. Actually, there was a time when I was very angry with the ladies of the Army (so I thought) because they were all so happy, jolly and enjoying the AF life and I was still struggling. Actually I was extremely angry with myself for still drinking and promised myself that when I got to 6 months AF, I would come back - which I did. Maybe if I had stuck around and admitted to still drinking (because no one on here knew), I might have stopped earlier. Hard to say - I had to get to the point that I really wanted it, as do we all. But as always, when I did come back to post, I was welcomed with open arms and then some.
                    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Made it at last (skidding to a halt type noise)
                      I've painted everything Rusty and Stirly. If the boy was still home and stayed still long enough, he'd have a lovely, matt, whitewash patina as well.
                      Last night's gig was an old TV cabinet which was quite a punish and needed a load of coats but has come up a treat with new glam handles and ''styling". I style now.

Tonight I was going to do some soft tip cuttings for Spring but a friend dropped in. I answered the door this time because I am sober. The poor bugger's speech is going and I think her MS symptoms are getting worse. Shit it.

I can only reiterate the reiteration. Going it alone doesn't work. Staying away doesn't work. Otherwise you'd be sober as a nun.

Longest day at work today.
                      I wanted to go home.
                      I wanted a banana.
                      If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                      Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Well Rustytops we'll never know 'till they come back and tell us !! And if they are not coming back just say so ......... just to disappear is not nice.
                        It isn't surprising when someone posts a couple times and disappears but I do worry when people we get to know pretty well and care about vanish from the site. It would be nice to know they are ok, even if not ready to quit drinking.

A woman who was doing really well and posting long and upbeat posts daily a few months ago in the Newbies Nest suddenly disappeared. Maybe she went back to drinking but there certainly was no hint of that in her posts. She seemed to be grateful for and really enjoying her AF life. I often wonder if something bad happened such as an accident and just hope that she is doing fine.

@JackieClaire, what in the world are skirting boards???
                        Last edited by NoSugar; October 16, 2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]..............over your way they call them base-boards or mop boards according to the tinterweb.

Ears are fine the lack of hearing in the right ear is down to an ear infection or to quote the woman that was poking about in there "abnormal appearance of the tympanic membrane"...........could have knocked me down with a feather.....there I was thinking I was feeling sick because of some dodgy chicken-wings. Although didn't Mr JC whinge on about doddy chicken wing sickness.
                          Got an emergency appointment with the doctor and some antibiotics. :egad:

Oh, we'll have to call your Auntie Mers now. Congratulations to everyone involved.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                            It isn't surprising when someone posts a couple times and disappears but I do worry when people we get to know pretty well and care about vanish from the site. It would be nice to know they are ok, even if not ready to quit drinking.

A woman who was doing really well and posting long and upbeat posts daily a few months ago in the Newbies Nest suddenly disappeared. Maybe she went back to drinking but there certainly was no hint of that in her posts. She seemed to be grateful for and really enjoying her AF life. I often wonder if something bad happened such as an accident and just hope that she is doing fine.

@JackieClaire, what in the world are skirting boards???
                            That bit I highlighted NS - that's what I have a real problem with... and yeah - look it sounds great being upbeat and gung-ho and 'how wonderful this sober life is' from newly sober people. I have real trouble believing (believing is too strong a word maybe... struggling for a better one) that. Early sobriety is lots of things - and yes there is that first thing waking up in the morning feeling of 'oh did I drink...oh thank feck I didn't' - and yeah one does start feeling healthier and clearer very quickly... but 'wonderful?' - I think more honesty is required.. I was so lucky that my early sobriety was covered in Aftercare - there were maybe 5-10 of us there at any one time.. all in the same boat.. and my god there were problems - teething problems with sober relationships - with partners - with children - with bank managers.. and none of it was wonderful.. or upbeat for that matter.

I'm REALLY not trying to frighten people.. but there HAS to be honesty - if I had gone to Aftercare and everybody was happy-clappy and so very happy - I would have felt such a bloody failure.. I struggled with heaps of things in the early days - AND the not so early days... honesty -- it's non-negotiable imo and I feel a lot of times on MWO the lack of honesty that is regularly manifest (again imo)is not challenged, and maybe because people don't want to be dragging others down... it's not a nasty dishonesty - but its a grievously dangerous dishonesty in the long run... sobriety MUST be tackled warts and all... and that applies even in longish term sobriety

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                              [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]..............over your way they call them base-boards or mop boards according to the tinterweb.

Ears are fine the lack of hearing in the right ear is down to an ear infection or to quote the woman that was poking about in there "abnormal appearance of the tympanic membrane"...........could have knocked me down with a feather.....there I was thinking I was feeling sick because of some dodgy chicken-wings. Although didn't Mr JC whinge on about doddy chicken wing sickness.
                              Got an emergency appointment with the doctor and some antibiotics. :egad:

Oh, we'll have to call your Auntie Mers now. Congratulations to everyone involved.
                              Well Jackieclaire -- does that mean the trumpets have to go? That's mad? Was Mr JC having a sympathetic tympany as in sympathetic pregnancy? :victorious:

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                                Was Mr JC having a sympathetic tympany as in sympathetic pregnancy? :victorious:
                                :hahaha:
                                Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                                Well Jackieclaire -- does that mean the trumpets have to go?
                                No I get to keep them. My hearing hasn't deteriorated in six months. It just felt a itchy. Prolly my fault for not cleaning the buggers properly.
                                And tbh the hot feeling I had was not the heaters we've got in the hall to dry the plaster out not a raging my high temperature.
                                I should have just sat on the stairs and glowed.
                                Last edited by JackieClaire; October 16, 2019, 02:04 PM.
                                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X