Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The benefits in learning to `lighten up`.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

o

isant it nice to LOL an not be laughed at for a change!!!! LOL xxxx
    :upset: lol the assmaster!! im slowly tryin to unwedge my head out my arse !!

Comment

if the avtar fell down in a pile a sick, or fell asleep in the pub, thats me but wiv longer hair an bruises!!! im changing it 2morr it spins me head!!

Comment

Star,
        You are right. When we first come here we are so desperate for help and we just want people to answer our questions and respond to all of our posts and validate our pain.

Last night about 2 am I was still awake and lurking around here and some guy posted for the first time and said how do I get through the first few days of being alcohol free? And my immediate smart ass answer would have been "uh don't drink!" I would have meant it in a funny way and would have told him so but I knew that that wasn't what he needed to hear. So I responded appropriately.

I try to see the humor in almost everything and the day I can't do that is the day I will start to die. If I can't laugh at myself during this struggle in my life then I won't make it because I have no one to blame but me. And I know how I hate to blame me.

Glad to "see" you smile Star
        If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Starlight I just want you to know that you have made my day with your post. I says something so important.

Going to bed with a smile on my face tonite
          Sammys

Comment

Excellent point, Starlight.

A very wise friend of mine once pointed out "You don't have to be in the depth of despair to want to reduce your drinking".

Comment

Really good point Starlight and all..I believe we are much more than our addiction...You all have goals, unique personality sans alcohol or whatever addiction that will never change, talents & contributions to make..you are more than this...and that is what will see you through "this" KEEP YOUR OLD GOALS

...but "this" is serious...and make no mistake...it is very important...and must be addressed...it is experimental ..a program, tools, cds, meetings, medicines..you WILL find the solution for you ..

and humor...at this point..just helps me get through the day!! enjoy your life best you can!!!

Comment

I meant ..your addiction will die..do not let your goals do the same

Comment

Lol's

Lol, that's really good!

Just a quick Lol: I work in a nightclub and 2 weeks ago, a women in her late 30s came in dressed in a flourescent green mini-dress.

Well, me and the lighting guy (who has control of the lighting there) lit her up on the dancefloor and it was the first time i had laughed like that in ages. She was so funny. She was having such a great time, completely uninhibited that she put all of us anally retentive middle class idiots to shame...

It was just halarious. She looked something like this (i hope she's not reading this):

:bananacomputer:
                  One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Hey this lightening up bit is good stuff.

I have tended to be real dark (even though I have a great sense of humor, no, I'm not biased), especially about this alkie thing. I have a great mate though who does not even have a alk prob but makes jokes about mine and they make me laugh even though they are really in bad taste). Anyway, point is that looking at things humourosly can lighten the load (the more serious the more need for humour). So I am really trying to lighten up as you all say-- thanks for that thread, starlight, you're a star.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Rachel, I'm glad you are going to change your avatar-- can you hurry up?
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Oh, and Chryssa-- I agree with you that we are much more than our addiction. Seems like my whole identity since I came out with my secret problem to my fam and friends is "the recovering alcoholic". If I lighten up, maybe I can become "the funny recovering alcoholic".

Comment

Hey Change - I reckon I've seen that woman!

She dances like no-one is watching. Bloody great, if you ask me.

I'm working on it ... just have to dislodge that rod I've got stuck up my back

Comment

is this 1 better!! hope i havent nicked any 1s pic

Comment

I totally agree with you Starlight!

Beating this thing takes a good dose of humor and light heartedness. I think the better we get, the more light hearted we can become, about the actual old drinking at hand, even though it's still a serious subject.

Scoobs
                              :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Working...
                              X